RX 100 Grip, Richards Vs Flipbac

Started Jul 30, 2012 | Discussions
bab4 Regular Member • Posts: 455
Re: RX 100 Grip, Richards Vs Flipbac - Egrips Also

Liz Z. wrote:

It is kind of tacky, I agree. I may well get Richard's grip, but in the mean time this is functional, and actually far less noticeable in real life than in the image. The other add-on only covers the front of the camera, so to me it looks a bit like a façade that is trying to make the camera look like a Leica.

Just a bit of a warning regarding the E-grip tapes. I used it on my old Olympus XZ-1. Stayed on my camera for about a year. When I went to sell it and took off the tape there was residue and I had a heck of a time trying to remove it. I even used the Goo-Gone stuff from the hardware store designed to remove adhesive residue but no luck.. even after a few days of rubbing and soaking.. some of it did go away but some of it stayed... maybe not necessarily residue anymore but more like a discoloration to the enamel of the camera due to the adhesive being on there so long. This was mostly on the edges of the tape and you can see a slightly darker outline of where it used to be. Good thing the craigslist buyer didn't notice because it was a very subtle discoloration but I under the right light you can see it slightly. One other thing is the edges of the tape collected lint over time and started fraying a bit.

bab4's gear list:bab4's gear list
YI M1
Liz Z.
Liz Z. Senior Member • Posts: 1,267

Thank you, bab4, that's all the push I need to remove them! I am off to order Richard's grip....

bab4 wrote:

Liz Z. wrote:

It is kind of tacky, I agree. I may well get Richard's grip, but in the mean time this is functional, and actually far less noticeable in real life than in the image. The other add-on only covers the front of the camera, so to me it looks a bit like a façade that is trying to make the camera look like a Leica.

Just a bit of a warning regarding the E-grip tapes. I used it on my old Olympus XZ-1. Stayed on my camera for about a year. When I went to sell it and took off the tape there was residue and I had a heck of a time trying to remove it.

-- hide signature --

Liz

Liz Z.'s gear list:Liz Z.'s gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Sony RX100 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +1 more
Liz Z.

I removed them and indeed there was some discoloration. I was able to get it back to new looking with some GooGone, but thanks again for the heads-up.

Liz Z. wrote:

Thank you, bab4, that's all the push I need to remove them! I am off to order Richard's grip....

bab4 wrote:

Just a bit of a warning regarding the E-grip tapes. I used it on my old Olympus XZ-1. Stayed on my camera for about a year. When I went to sell it and took off the tape there was residue and I had a heck of a time trying to remove it.

-- hide signature --

Liz

bab4 Regular Member • Posts: 455

no prob.. If there's already some discoloration after this short time imagine if you left that tape on for a year or longer! That's what happened with my poor XZ-1

Liz Z. wrote:

I removed them and indeed there was some discoloration. I was able to get it back to new looking with some GooGone, but thanks again for the heads-up.

Liz Z. wrote:

bab4 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Liz

bab4's gear list:bab4's gear list
YI M1
javafool Regular Member • Posts: 387

Liz Z. wrote:

--
Liz

I hope all is okay with your camera Liz. Using GooGone on a camera, especially a $650 non-sealed camera, is a very risky proposition. If the GooGone gets into the camera or onto the lens the results could be devastating. I doubt the warranty would cover the damage.
Sorry I didn't see this sooner.
Terry

-- hide signature --

E-620 & E-30 DSLRs, E-P3 & OM-D E-M5, Canon S95 & Sony DX100

javafool's gear list:javafool's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX100 III Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS
Liz Z.

I just put a tiny bit on a paper towel and dabbed carefully.

javafool wrote:

Liz Z. wrote:

--
Liz

I hope all is okay with your camera Liz. Using GooGone on a camera, especially a $650 non-sealed camera, is a very risky proposition. If the GooGone gets into the camera or onto the lens the results could be devastating. I doubt the warranty would cover the damage.
Sorry I didn't see this sooner.
Terry

-- hide signature --

E-620 & E-30 DSLRs, E-P3 & OM-D E-M5, Canon S95 & Sony DX100

-- hide signature --

Liz

Phototaker41 Forum Member • Posts: 65
Re: RX 100 Grip, Richards Vs Flipbac

I've had Richard grip on my Sony Rx100 for 5 days. I feel natural, comfortatble when taking pictures.

keven v Regular Member • Posts: 285

Just received my Franiec grip and have to say I am very impressed. My hand feels way more comfortable and secure than with the Flipbac grip I had on. I shoot a lot of one handed and if you do too this is a must have accessory!

OP Nikguy Regular Member • Posts: 195
Re: RX 100 Grip, using Flipbac now

Hi, I'm using the Flipbac G2 a gift from a friend who did not like it. I have it on my RX100 now and it is better than the camera without it. However it make the camera easier to hold but the wheel teeth are still close. You need to set it on to the extreme end where the camera corner is but still is not far enough. The feel of the RX100 is better with the G2 than without it but looking at the Richard grip and the way it measures it is something I will get. I had made up my mind to get the Richard grip over the Flipbac but getting the flipbac free gave me the option to test it. I'm sure now that the Richard grip is the better choice.

Don't get me wrong if budget is what fits the Flipbac then get it. It is a fine nicely made product
As far as a clean look to match the camera it is the Richard grip all the way.

Nikguy's gear list:Nikguy's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX7 Nikon Coolpix S9100 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Sony RX100 IV Sony RX10 II +4 more
snapshot09 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,512

Like anything; there is always plenty of options, but you want the best, go with Richard's Grip.

Nikguy wrote:

Has anyone compared the Filbac G2 to the Richard Franiec grip on the RX100. I love the camera and the overall feel is good. I did notice my finger touches the wheel which has small teeth which I feel. Not a big issues but I would like a grip that would help move my finger away and add to holding.

In the pictures the Richard F. grip looks better for that purpose. Maybe he can give me his assessment.

RX100 Junior Member • Posts: 43

Here's some pictures of the Flipbac G2 on a RX100:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/dsc-rx/discuss/72157631097313252/

martin0reg Regular Member • Posts: 319

Here is my flipbac G4 "custom cut".
The cutting could be more accurate, but for me it works..

..btw I have put both straps on one side using a small metal ring, so you can use a neck strap and at the same time put the camera in a shirt or jacket.

-- hide signature --

inkjet printer forum for refillers:
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/index.php

leonwangls New Member • Posts: 1

a piece of black sandpaper (cut to any size you like) with double sided sticky tape will do just as well.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads