iPad Photosmith app, Lightroom plugin, and iPad filenames

Started Jul 28, 2012 | Discussions
JonV Junior Member • Posts: 42
Re: iPad Photosmith app, Lightroom plugin, and iPad filenames

FlightDeck wrote:

Jon I feel your pain...

Starting over from scratch may be the best bet from the sound of it.

I think the confusing area is that you need the Eye-Fi stuff on your PC to activate the card for use, but then you need to kill it when using it with Photosmith. Ditto on the iPad. So to start, maybe follow EyeFi's instructions to get the card working on your PC, and you can skip putting the EyeFi app on the iPad. Then switch to the Photosmith instructions that I originally posted to configure Photosmith with EyeFi card on your iPad.

Maybe I can look closer at this when I'm home tonight. If you are really stuck even after trying all of Photosmiths instructions, you can try contacting them for support.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
K
Ontario, Canada
http://photos.loneleaf.ca
(See my profile for equipment list.)

Good plan. Thanks

OP FlightDeck Regular Member • Posts: 388

I should also mention that I've found that the Eye-Fi connections can be a bit flaky. It seems that if the camera has a sleep mode, sometimes the Eye-Fi card stops doing it's thing unless I reboot the camera. Similar seems to happen if the iPad isn't awake during the minute or so that the Eye-Fi card is looking for something. With both devices capable of sleeping, it seems a bit random what needs to be done to get them communicating again when they stop. This may be interfering with your setup. It took me a while before I got the camera and card working, long before I ever tried adding Photosmith to the mix.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
K
Ontario, Canada

FlightDeck's gear list:FlightDeck's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +13 more

FlightDeck wrote:

I should also mention that I've found that the Eye-Fi connections can be a bit flaky. It seems that if the camera has a sleep mode, sometimes the Eye-Fi card stops doing it's thing unless I reboot the camera. Similar seems to happen if the iPad isn't awake during the minute or so that the Eye-Fi card is looking for something. With both devices capable of sleeping, it seems a bit random what needs to be done to get them communicating again when they stop. This may be interfering with your setup. It took me a while before I got the camera and card working, long before I ever tried adding Photosmith to the mix.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
K
Ontario, Canada

If I may ask, do you have the iPad Eye-Fi app installed or not at all? Folowing instruction from Eye-FI, it seems mandatory but then yur early posts say to make sure it is not, correct?

In addition, Photosmith support pages say:

To confirm that the native Eye-Fi app and/or Shuttersnitch aren’t running in the background on your iPad:
1) Double-click the Home button on your iPad.

2) Tap and hold one of the icons at the bottom of your screen until they start shaking.
3) Find the Eye-Fi and/or Shuttersnitch app icon and top and red minus-sign.

4) Click the Home button on your iPad once to stop the icons from shaking, and then one more to return to your home screen
5) Now tap the Photosmith icon.

6) Go Services > Eye-Fi and tap “Disabled” then “Enabled” to try and start the Eye-Fi service again

Step 3 is a maybe a type? Do they mean to tap the X and delete the app altogether? I don't see a red-minus sign.

I've now spent a week trying to get this Eye-Fi to function for me at all except as a normal SD card when plugged into the PC. But even THAT is flaky with failing to initialize more often then not.

At this point I still have these troubles:

1) When the card is in the camera and I take a shot the display screen shows a blinking wifi icon as if connecting then stops before the camera of Ipad sleep. In addition the menu Eye-Fi settings Connection info fails any connection attempt.

2) Photosmith detects a card upload key. I can select the key and see that the Service status says "Running" but nothing ever happens after that to ever see any images imported however until the camera seems to send without the problems above I don't expect much. Like you said, I need to get the camera and card working before expecting to add Photosmith to the mix. Does the Photosmith Import from Eye-fi screen need to be active and showing at the same time the camera is blinking its connecting icon?

Edit to above. Retracing the instructions showed I missed a major step: that of setting the iPad Wi-fi to the Eye-Fi direct mode network SSID! After doing that and restarting the camera the icon is now apparently uploading and Photsmith's Running is alternating Running and Communicating. So I hope something is happening though it's been going like this for ten minutes for two images though it may be doing both RAW and JPGs. I assume at some point it will stop and I will tap Catalog in Photosmith and see the images.

Over three hours and still "communicating". I have to assume the huge RAW images are being loaded off the Eye-Fi and that is the problem. Not much option that I suppose. I am set for RAW and large JPG and I guess the proxy JPG workflow calls for the JPG to be much smaller? SO I'll save some time there but the RAWs will make the Eye-FI useless in my case if it will always take over three hours to load two shots wirelessly. The connection kit is a no-brainer better alternative unless I am doing something wrong here.

Hi Jon, I have the Eye-Fi app installed, but it's not running, that's the important thing. The Photosmith instructions to confirm its not running, and to shut it down if it is, are correct. You double click the iPad button to see the running apps along the bottom of the screen. If the Eye-Fi app is one of them, it needs to be closed. Tap and hold on the icons until they wiggle, and then tap the red minus sign on the app icon to close it. Doing this for any apps ruining but not being used at the moment is always a good idea to speed up the iPad---they're not very powerful computers.

I don't know why your transfer is taking so long. I transfer only jpg, as that's the only thing my camera writes to the Eye-Fi card ( my raw files go onto the CF card). I think using the Eye-Fi software on your PC you can tell the Eye-Fi card what to transfer to the iPad. I can't remember if it has raw and jpg as separate options. I know it has video as a separate option. Maybe you can turn off the raw transfer there.

This weekend I've had some transfers apparently freeze, I don't yet know what is the problem. It was a large transfer of almost 1000 jpg files.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
K
Ontario, Canada

Canon PowerShot G10 Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +13 more

FlightDeck wrote:

I think using the Eye-Fi software on your PC you can tell the Eye-Fi card what to transfer to the iPad. I can't remember if it has raw and jpg as separate options. I know it has video as a separate option. Maybe you can turn off the raw transfer there.

Okay I just checked this on Eye-Fi's website, and yes there are separate options for JPG, RAW, and video:
http://support.eye.fi/software/media/save-to-computer/

You can tell it what you want uploaded to each computer, so just tell it not to upload raw to your iPad and I think that should work.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
K
Ontario, Canada

Ah yes, I recall the closing active background tasks now! Less than clear from their description so I had just deleted the entire app but will retry installing but stopping the task.

I also recall seeing the handling of JPG and RAW dialogs however since we are instructed to stop the eye-center and help services I figured it would have no bearing on the direct mode from camera to the iPad Photosmith app but it must be set on the card I suppose. Moving just the JPG then manually moving the RAWs fits the proxy workflow I guess.

My camera battery died before it ever successfully copied those two images (after four hours of "communicating"). Maybe it WAS actually frozen and not really sending anything at all. I'll do more testing tonight.

Yes I suspect it was definitely frozen for some reason. I transfer files about one every 1-2 seconds, Jpgs that are up to 2MB each. A raw file shouldn't be more then a minute I would think, and likely much faster.

The EyeFi Centre software is how you configure the card. Remembering that the Eye-Fi card is like a little wireless network that can talk to any device helps. So you use the software to tell this little network how you want it to communicate with your computers, including your iPad, and also what files to transmit, like jpg only. Once the card is configured, you don't need to leave this software running to use the card with your iPad.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
K
Ontario, Canada

Great, now my Eye-Fi / Photosmith connection no longer works. It had been working for a while, but I had problems with a large import this weekend that kept freezing. Since then I've been unable to get the iPad to connect to the Eye-Fi card, whether it's in the camera or something else. The iPad sees the card in the Wi-Fi settings list, but it will not connect to it. This stuff is really frustrating and seems so unnecessarily complicated to make run correctly and reliably.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
K
Ontario, Canada

Tried to xfer one image tonight and it ran and ran for over an hour. Deleted and took just a 4MB JPG and still no luck. About ready to give it up after two weeks of frustration. Sounded too good to be true.

Abrak Veteran Member • Posts: 4,102

Is the Eye-fi card showing up in the Photosmith App under eye-fi services? If it is not, this is likely to be your problem and is best solved by re-searching for your ipad through the LR plug-in.

On a separate note, have you got a good workflow for the second half of the LR to ipad workflow - namely displaying edited images on the ipad. Jeffrey Friedl has a long article about it and has designed plug-ins especially for it.

http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/ipad-howto2

His methodology is complicated but very effective as it syncs LR with his ipad via dropbox automatically.

The key is to avoid the ipad's photo app at all costs because of its restrictions. This is especially true as photosmith essentially takes over the ipad photo app.

I am currently using a simpler methodology. LR to Flickr via JF's LR plug-in and then Flickr to portfolio pro. Portfolio pro is an excellent app - it is extremely fast and the interface is very slick. Unfortunately it doesnt sync with Flickr so you have to delete photo sets and re-import to update but this is not too big a deal.

Abrak wrote:

Is the Eye-fi card showing up in the Photosmith App under eye-fi services? If it is not, this is likely to be your problem and is best solved by re-searching for your ipad through the LR plug-in.

Yes, it shows up, but all it does is alternate between Running and Communicating without ever copying a file. It used to work fine and now it's just useless. For more details, here is the support email I sent to Photosmith today:

Currently if I put the Eye-Fi card in my camera, the card will appear in the iPad WiFi settings but will not get a check mark next to it. In Photosmith the Eye-Fi service shows as Running/Communicating. No files ever transfer to the iPad, even when shooting new images with the camera. The Eye-Fi info in the 5DIII initially says Connecting, then Transferring, then eventually “Error retrieving card info. To retrieve card info, turn camera off and on again” (which does nothing).

If instead I power the card with its USB card reader on my PC, I still get no connection checkmark on the iPad, still get Communicating/Running in Photosmith, and still no files transfer to the iPad from the card.

I almost wonder if something has happened to the card itself.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
K
Ontario, Canada

FlightDeck wrote:

Abrak wrote:

Yes, it shows up, but all it does is alternate between Running and Communicating without ever copying a file. It used to work fine and now it's just useless. For more details, here is the support email I sent to Photosmith today:

Currently if I put the Eye-Fi card in my camera, the card will appear in the iPad WiFi settings but will not get a check mark next to it. In Photosmith the Eye-Fi service shows as Running/Communicating. No files ever transfer to the iPad, even when shooting new images with the camera. The Eye-Fi info in the 5DIII initially says Connecting, then Transferring, then eventually “Error retrieving card info. To retrieve card info, turn camera off and on again” (which does nothing).

If instead I power the card with its USB card reader on my PC, I still get no connection checkmark on the iPad, still get Communicating/Running in Photosmith, and still no files transfer to the iPad from the card.

I almost wonder if something has happened to the card itself.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
K
Ontario, Canada

Ditto for me. Card Upload Key is detected and Service Status is Running until I take a shot and see the icon on the camera then the status alternates between Running and Communicating and it just churns and churns with no result.

Flightdeck,

My personal belief is that the eye-fi card is inherently 'flakey' and that it is 'heroically optimistic' to expect it to send 1000 jpegs to the ipad trouble free (it would also take about 30 minutes).

If my camera had two card slots I would split my RAW and jpegs and use the camera connection kit but it doesnt. Of course if you only have one card the camera connection kit sucks up all your RAWs as well which is useless. The eye-fi is fine upto around about 100 shots.

Obviously with 1000 shots though, it is where Photosmith is of most use - you dont want to be sorting all those RAW files in LR. So the obvious thing to do is plug your SD card into your PC, copy your jpegs to a folder and then sync your folder to the camera roll via itunes. It is not a terrible sexy solution but it will be quicker and wont give you problems (unless you have an ipad 3 and havent updated itunes.) I think that even when you get your eye-fi card up and working you are going to find you will always have problems using it for 1000 jpegs.

(BTW as a final solution for your card. Try putting it back in your camera and taking a few more shots. It might kick start it back into action.)

Abrak wrote:

My personal belief is that the eye-fi card is inherently 'flakey' and that it is 'heroically optimistic' to expect it to send 1000 jpegs to the ipad trouble free (it would also take about 30 minutes).

This could be a good point. Unfortunately there is no way to control how many images the Eye-Fi sends at a time. If there are 1000 images on the card, that's what it will send.

If my camera had two card slots I would split my RAW and jpegs and use the camera connection kit but it doesnt. Of course if you only have one card the camera connection kit sucks up all your RAWs as well which is useless. The eye-fi is fine upto around about 100 shots.

The 5DIII has two slots, and I send JPG only to the Eye-Fi, raw to the CF.

Obviously with 1000 shots though, it is where Photosmith is of most use - you dont want to be sorting all those RAW files in LR. So the obvious thing to do is plug your SD card into your PC, copy your jpegs to a folder and then sync your folder to the camera roll via itunes. It is not a terrible sexy solution but it will be quicker and wont give you problems (unless you have an ipad 3 and havent updated itunes.)

This is not an option when on the road without a PC, which is why I use the Eye-Fi + iPad + Photosmith combination.

(BTW as a final solution for your card. Try putting it back in your camera and taking a few more shots. It might kick start it back into action.)

Tried this many times. At home I have confirmed that the Eye-Fi can still transmit new shots to my PC. But it will transfer nothing to the iPad.

Something has broken in the iPad + Eye-Fi connection. Even the Eye-Fi app will not transfer files.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
K
Ontario, Canada

I hope I didn't "jinx" it for you. You were fine until you wenr out of your way to try and help me, FlightDeck. Then you ended up with my exact problem!

Okay it appears I'm running again (knock on wood!).

First I updated the Photosmith app to the v2.1.3 just released today. I also updated the Photosmith plugin in Lightroom. These had no affect on my connection problem.

I then walked through all the Eye-Fi and Photosmith configuration steps again:

1. Eye-Fi http://support.eye.fi/features/direct/ios-eye-fi-app/

2a. More Eye-Fi http://support.photosmithapp.com/knowledgebase/articles/59566-services-import-from-eye-fi-v2- (pause before "Configuring Photosmith" to do the Lightroom plugin)

2b. Lightroom Plugin http://support.photosmithapp.com/knowledgebase/articles/59747

2c. Continue rest of 2a from "Configuring Photosmith" onward.

Everything should now be ready. Make sure Eye Fi Center on the PC is closed and not still showing on the status bar (or do equivalent for Mac). Make sure the Eye-Fi app is shut down on the iPad. Put the Eye-Fi card in the camera and snap a few photos. On the iPad check the Wi-Fi settings to see the name of the Eye-Fi card and select it as the wifi network. In iOS 5 you will not get a checkmark, it will keep showing the spinning circle, but you are connected when the Eye-Fi card name appears next to the Wi-Fi icon on the left side of the iPad screen. You should now have connection and the camera should send pics to the Photosmith app.

Note: when the camera "sleeps", the iPad will lose the connection and jump to another known wifi network if one available---mine jumps to my home network. When waking up the camera you'll need to reselect the Eye-Fi card as the Wi-Fi network again. As a result, debugging connection problems near a known network can be a pain in the butt.

Hope that helps.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
K
Ontario, Canada

Yes, I think that update might have cleared up a few bugs.

It certainly seems to have speeded up syncing with Lightroom. I just synced 70 odd sorted and tagged photos in less than 15 seconds.

Okay so all is still not well. While I succeeded in restoring the connection between the Eye-Fi card and Photosmith app, I am still having problems with losing the connection.

While transferring a batch of over 900 JPG, the Photosmith app continued to experience lockups. I then disabled the power-saving feature on th 5D III and also the auto-lock feature on the iPad, and that seems to have eliminated the lockups. I suspect that either the camera or iPad tried to sleep/lock while the card was transmitting.

After fixing that and starting over, now the issue is that Photosmith "soft crashes" by simply exiting back to the home screen during the transfer. Photosmith has to be reopened and the transmission resumed, although in some cases the connection to the card has been lost and must first be reconnected in the iPad WiFi Settings screen.

The end result of several such soft crashes & resumes is that about 150 of the total 900+ JPG were not transferred, and it's difficult to tell which ones are missing.

Trying the same transfer instead using the Eye-Fi app resulted in only one broken transfer and, after resuming, all files were successfully transferred to the iPad.

So, there still seems to be an issue with the Eye-Fi connection through Photosmith.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
K
Ontario, Canada

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads