Has anyone downloaded and used the Technicolor Cinestyle picture style for the 7D

Started Jul 27, 2012 | Discussions
JYDDENTZ Forum Member • Posts: 94
Has anyone downloaded and used the Technicolor Cinestyle picture style for the 7D

I just saw it on youtube and downloaded the files, but want to get other photographers' opinion before I install it.

Austin_Luker
Austin_Luker Contributing Member • Posts: 606
Re: Has anyone downloaded and used the Technicolor Cinestyle picture style for the 7D

yes I use it but its for video not stills as it makes grading a lot easier by flattening the contrast of the image. If your going to try it for stills its kind of a waste of time as you spend a lot of time in post fixing the low contrast.
--
AustinLuker.com
7D-5DMKII-1DMKIV

OP JYDDENTZ Forum Member • Posts: 94
Re: Has anyone downloaded and used the Technicolor Cinestyle picture style for the 7D

Thanks for your response. I may have misunderstood but thought it was good for stills in that it boosted contrast and colors to give it a higher dynamic range.

Quirino2k Regular Member • Posts: 170

It makes Higher dynamic range for the jpgs and video..
I think You would get alot more out of the raw images.

Unless your just recorded some video and want to include stills in the video with the same color grading..

Also for video to get minimal noise with the technicolor use ISO 120.320.640. etc. their the native ISO for the sensor and will make grading a bit easier since it has less artifacts from noise.

Quirino2k's gear list:Quirino2k's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +4 more
bronxbombers Forum Pro • Posts: 18,226

JYDDENTZ wrote:

I just saw it on youtube and downloaded the files, but want to get other photographers' opinion before I install it.

It feels almost a little too flat for me, 8bit compressed doesn't grade THAT well.

bronxbombers Forum Pro • Posts: 18,226

JYDDENTZ wrote:

Thanks for your response. I may have misunderstood but thought it was good for stills in that it boosted contrast and colors to give it a higher dynamic range.

no, no, it reduces contrast and colors so you get more DR and then you can apply whatever tone curve you need later without having already clipped away highlights or shadow detail

but it goes pretty fair and 8bit can only be processed so much, some thing it goes a bit too far

for stills you want to shoot RAW if you want the best DR and everything

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads