Why No Self-Timer Available with HDR Shooting?

Started Jul 26, 2012 | Discussions
Jerry Canon
Jerry Canon Contributing Member • Posts: 875
Why No Self-Timer Available with HDR Shooting?
-- hide signature --

I'm just trying to figure out why Sony chose to not make the self-timer function available when shooting HDR exposures. It could be so handy there so you could set the camera down and let it time itself off to avoid having to hand hold it and induce camera movement. Surely there's some practical reason for this that just hasn't occurred to me, otherwise why wouldn't this be available?
http://500px.com/JerryBrendle

 Jerry Canon's gear list:Jerry Canon's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha a7 II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +1 more
D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 18,095
Re: Why No Self-Timer Available with HDR Shooting?

Jerry Canon wrote:

-- hide signature --

I'm just trying to figure out why Sony chose to not make the self-timer function available when shooting HDR exposures. It could be so handy there so you could set the camera down and let it time itself off to avoid having to hand hold it and induce camera movement. Surely there's some practical reason for this that just hasn't occurred to me, otherwise why wouldn't this be available?
http://500px.com/JerryBrendle

It is simply a mistake by the person/people who coded the software.

I doubt if these coders have much experience of photography.

It is certainly high time it was fixed, but this does require some rethinking of the menu structure.

Limbery Forum Member • Posts: 53
Re: Why No Self-Timer Available with HDR Shooting?

Perhaps it could be implemented in the new firmware upgrade?

Mike Wee Contributing Member • Posts: 661
Re: Why No Self-Timer Available with HDR Shooting?

+1

There simply is no reason. This is actually an insight into the minds of the UI developers at Sony that might explain some of the other facepalm-inducing decisions they have made. It points to sheer incompetence.

-- hide signature --

Ex-Tee-Eye * 50 1,8 * 17-85
En-Ee-Ex-5 * 16 * 18-55 * 55-210 * CV 35 1,4 * FD 50 1,4

 Mike Wee's gear list:Mike Wee's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 400D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony a6000 Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +11 more
jemez Forum Member • Posts: 67
Re: Why No Self-Timer Available with HDR Shooting?

Does remote activation work in HDR mode? I haven't looked at this.

Jerry Canon
OP Jerry Canon Contributing Member • Posts: 875
Re: Why No Self-Timer Available with HDR Shooting?

jemez wrote:

Does remote activation work in HDR mode? I haven't looked at this.

-- hide signature --

Good question, I haven't tried it. I'll have to give it a try.
http://500px.com/JerryBrendle

 Jerry Canon's gear list:Jerry Canon's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha a7 II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +1 more
sasoph Regular Member • Posts: 424
Re: Why No Self-Timer Available with HDR Shooting?

Don't forget to complain:
sonylistens@am.sony.com

you will doubtless be fobbed off with grateful thanks and informed that your suggestion has been forwarded to the development team.

Bah!

 sasoph's gear list:sasoph's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II +45 more
jemez Forum Member • Posts: 67
Re: Why No Self-Timer Available with HDR Shooting?

I tried no remote either. That is seriously bogus.

DezM
DezM Forum Pro • Posts: 34,369
Re: Why No Self-Timer Available with HDR Shooting?

jemez wrote:

I tried no remote either. That is seriously bogus.

Found that out months ago. Very disappointing.
--
Dez

http://dezsantana.com

DtEW Senior Member • Posts: 2,445
Re: Why No Self-Timer Available with HDR Shooting?

D Cox wrote:

Jerry Canon wrote:

-- hide signature --

I'm just trying to figure out why Sony chose to not make the self-timer function available when shooting HDR exposures. It could be so handy there so you could set the camera down and let it time itself off to avoid having to hand hold it and induce camera movement. Surely there's some practical reason for this that just hasn't occurred to me, otherwise why wouldn't this be available?
http://500px.com/JerryBrendle

It is simply a mistake by the person/people who coded the software.

I doubt if these coders have much experience of photography.

It is certainly high time it was fixed, but this does require some rethinking of the menu structure.

I thought into why things are as they are.

My conclusion is that they oversimplified the UI into a single menu selection, whereas we'd have been satisfied with a double-selection menu.

What do I mean?

Current structure - choose one:

Single - Continuous - Continuous Speed - Bracket - Timer - Remote.

This precludes using any mode in conjunction with each other.

The better way to do this would be a parallel, double-selection menu.

Proposed structure - choose one from this menu:

Single - Continuous - Continuous Speed - Bracket

On a parallel scrolling menu, choose another:

Normal - Timer - Remote

Being that you're using the D-pad up-down to operate the menu anyways, allowing it to go left-right to navigate between the two parallel menus should be easy and intuitive.

 DtEW's gear list:DtEW's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Samyang 24mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads