1Dx review on diglloyd.com started..

Started Jul 25, 2012 | Discussions
davexl Senior Member • Posts: 1,058
1Dx review on diglloyd.com started..

FYI - Lloyd Chambers has just posted his first few pages of his review of the Canon 1Dx: resolution and noise vs 5D-III test pages are up, and look interesting.

I don't want to say more than that, as it is a paysite and he does not like being quoted...

What is good if you are an early adopter, is that he publishes his reviews page by page, rather than work on it for a month then publish. This was very helpful with the D800 review, as he was certainly first with the most.

It will be interesting to see what sort of AF tests he does, as he is usually a landscape/manual focus kind of guy. So if you are wanting early reviews from someone with a critical eye, check it out over the next week or so.

-- hide signature --

Things I have clicked with: Agfa 110, Minolta X-300, X700, Nikon F3, F4, Hassleblad 500C/M, 4x5", Sony F717, D70, D200, Canon 1Ds, II, D2x, D3, Canon 5D-II, D800E

 davexl's gear list:davexl's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +3 more
tonywong Regular Member • Posts: 292
Re: 1Dx review on diglloyd.com started..

So this is just a glorified advertisement then? You may not want to quote him, but a quick summary wouldn't be out of bounds.

 tonywong's gear list:tonywong's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon EOS 300D Nikon D300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +114 more
Jeff Fenske Contributing Member • Posts: 692
Re: 1Dx review on diglloyd.com started..

Well said, Tony!

erbtype Regular Member • Posts: 119
Re: 1Dx review on diglloyd.com started..

If someone does not wish to be quoted, they should say or write nothing...

davexl wrote:

FYI - Lloyd Chambers has just posted his first few pages of his review of the Canon 1Dx: resolution and noise vs 5D-III test pages are up, and look interesting.

I don't want to say more than that, as it is a paysite and he does not like being quoted...

What is good if you are an early adopter, is that he publishes his reviews page by page, rather than work on it for a month then publish. This was very helpful with the D800 review, as he was certainly first with the most.

It will be interesting to see what sort of AF tests he does, as he is usually a landscape/manual focus kind of guy. So if you are wanting early reviews from someone with a critical eye, check it out over the next week or so.

-- hide signature --

Things I have clicked with: Agfa 110, Minolta X-300, X700, Nikon F3, F4, Hassleblad 500C/M, 4x5", Sony F717, D70, D200, Canon 1Ds, II, D2x, D3, Canon 5D-II, D800E

OP davexl Senior Member • Posts: 1,058
Pattern noise update

If my name was Lloyd Chambers, it would be an "advertisement". As I am not him, and have no links to him, this was a "recommendation".

I should have just posted: "hey guys, I found this guy did a great job with camera X, he just got his 1Dx, watch this space."

When I posted there was only a page or two up on ISO - not something I want to summarise because I think you really have to see that stuff for yourself.

Since I posted, he has put up an example on pattern noise and banding which is what I was most interested in, and worth a look.

Without getting into details, this confirms what we have seen elsewhere - for those hoping that Canon was saving something special for the 1Dx that they could not/would not manage to do for the 5D-III, it seems the answer is no. (in ACR at any rate)

While you can shoot the 1Dx more appropriately - overexpose and pull highlights rather than D800-style push shadows, the fact is that Canon is a generation behind on dynamic range. Not a huge deal for most of the 1Dx intended audience, but sad for those wanting more than the 5D-III can provide.

So my interest in the 1Dx just dried up, I am sure it will still be an amazing machine for the Olympics though.

tonywong wrote:

So this is just a glorified advertisement then? You may not want to quote him, but a quick summary wouldn't be out of bounds.

-- hide signature --

Things I have clicked with: Agfa 110, Minolta X-300, X700, Nikon F3, F4, Hassleblad 500C/M, 4x5", Sony F717, D70, D200, Canon 1Ds, II, D2x, D3, Canon 5D-II, D800E

 davexl's gear list:davexl's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +3 more
Richard Veteran Member • Posts: 4,120
Re: 1Dx review on diglloyd.com started..

And adding to that it's subscribers only!

Who's LLoyed Chambers anyway?

Richard

tonywong wrote:

So this is just a glorified advertisement then? You may not want to quote him, but a quick summary wouldn't be out of bounds.

 Richard's gear list:Richard's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X +6 more
Will T
Will T Regular Member • Posts: 155
Re: 1Dx review on diglloyd.com started..

Richard wrote:

Who's LLoyed Chambers anyway?

Richard

A Goof!

-- hide signature --

Will T.

'Make everything as possible as it is simple, but not impossible.'

Light Pilgrim
Light Pilgrim Contributing Member • Posts: 821
Re: Pattern noise update

Let me ask an honest question....have you seen his photographs? How do you rate him as a photographer?

davexl wrote:

If my name was Lloyd Chambers, it would be an "advertisement". As I am not him, and have no links to him, this was a "recommendation".

I should have just posted: "hey guys, I found this guy did a great job with camera X, he just got his 1Dx, watch this space."

When I posted there was only a page or two up on ISO - not something I want to summarise because I think you really have to see that stuff for yourself.

Since I posted, he has put up an example on pattern noise and banding which is what I was most interested in, and worth a look.

Without getting into details, this confirms what we have seen elsewhere - for those hoping that Canon was saving something special for the 1Dx that they could not/would not manage to do for the 5D-III, it seems the answer is no. (in ACR at any rate)

While you can shoot the 1Dx more appropriately - overexpose and pull highlights rather than D800-style push shadows, the fact is that Canon is a generation behind on dynamic range. Not a huge deal for most of the 1Dx intended audience, but sad for those wanting more than the 5D-III can provide.

So my interest in the 1Dx just dried up, I am sure it will still be an amazing machine for the Olympics though.

tonywong wrote:

So this is just a glorified advertisement then? You may not want to quote him, but a quick summary wouldn't be out of bounds.

-- hide signature --

Things I have clicked with: Agfa 110, Minolta X-300, X700, Nikon F3, F4, Hassleblad 500C/M, 4x5", Sony F717, D70, D200, Canon 1Ds, II, D2x, D3, Canon 5D-II, D800E

OP davexl Senior Member • Posts: 1,058
Re: Pattern noise update

I haven't seen his folio if that is what you mean, but his paysite is filled with real world photos - he is not a test chart photographer...

http://diglloyd.com/ and scroll down, and you will see examples.

If he knows his stuff, I don't particularly care what his photos look like. I would rate him highly as a technical reviewer, perhaps a bit on the cranky side, but hypercritical is what I want in a reviewer - I want them to find the weaknesses before I do, and be hard to please.

Light Pilgrim wrote:

Let me ask an honest question....have you seen his photographs? How do you rate him as a photographer?

-- hide signature --

Things I have clicked with: Agfa 110, Minolta X-300, X700, Nikon F3, F4, Hassleblad 500C/M, 4x5", Sony F717, D70, D200, Canon 1Ds, II, D2x, D3, Canon 5D-II, D800E

 davexl's gear list:davexl's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +3 more
HCB ONE Forum Member • Posts: 58
Re: Pattern noise update

I'm much more interested in a talented photojournalist and sports shooter in what he/she have to say about the 1DX than some techy geek without an ounce of talent.

Based on some early testing available online for FREE, the 1DX seems to be the gold standard for what is intended use.

rwbaron Forum Pro • Posts: 12,379
Re: Pattern noise update

davexl wrote:

I haven't seen his folio if that is what you mean, but his paysite is filled with real world photos - he is not a test chart photographer...

http://diglloyd.com/ and scroll down, and you will see examples.

If he knows his stuff, I don't particularly care what his photos look like. I would rate him highly as a technical reviewer, perhaps a bit on the cranky side, but hypercritical is what I want in a reviewer - I want them to find the weaknesses before I do, and be hard to please.

Light Pilgrim wrote:

Let me ask an honest question....have you seen his photographs? How do you rate him as a photographer?

Not trying to start a war here but I followed a link to Lloyd's site http://diglloyd.com/ from another thread and paging down found his "Moon at dusk over Tioga Lake" D800E shot with Zeiss 15mmf2.8 Distagon. The first thing I noticed on my recently calibrated monitor was the cold, green tint to the shot. There's been a lot posted about this but I was surprised to see this from a guy who's supposed to be so technically astute. One would think he'd correct this in post.

Bob
--
http://www.pbase.com/rwbaron

 rwbaron's gear list:rwbaron's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T2 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +12 more
Light Pilgrim
Light Pilgrim Contributing Member • Posts: 821
Re: Pattern noise update

I fully agree with you. I am typically attracted by a stunning image and only then I am interested to know what was the gear used. I hate pixel peeping and only technical with the lack of artistic touch reviews...
Ideally both are combined to motivate and elaborate:-)

I personally found it hard to trust Chambers simply because his images do not inspire me and so he might be using cameras wrongly.

HCB ONE wrote:

I'm much more interested in a talented photojournalist and sports shooter in what he/she have to say about the 1DX than some techy geek without an ounce of talent.

Based on some early testing available online for FREE, the 1DX seems to be the gold standard for what is intended use.

SubPrime Senior Member • Posts: 1,238
Re: Pattern noise update

Light Pilgrim wrote:

I fully agree with you. I am typically attracted by a stunning image and only then I am interested to know what was the gear used. I hate pixel peeping and only technical with the lack of artistic touch reviews...

No one is forcing you to pixel peep or give any time and attention to Lloyd Chambers' blog. He is an usnashamed pixel peeper and he caters to those who are interested in pixel peeping. Horses for courses.

I personally found it hard to trust Chambers simply because his images do not inspire me and so he might be using cameras wrongly.

The guys who make the cameras you use probable take crap photos too. Does that damage your trust in them?

GeorgeSh New Member • Posts: 1
Re: Pattern noise update

I subscribed to all of the diglloyd's "modules" to see for myself all that "wonderful" promised information. I now feel that I was cheated by a used car salesman. All I found on those"secret" paid webpages is Lloyd Chambers' opinion on optical imperfections of images of objects next to him, that he took to "test" the equipment. The photographs are very uninspiring, if not to say depressing, and the opinion provided is usually negative.

One camera/lens sample, used by a person with an unknown background and reputation, is unlikely to provide a valid conclusion about all cameras/lenses combinations produced. Sample of one is not adequate to make a statistical conclusion.

I hope that my comment helps somebody to save a frustration from discovering all that on his/her own.

 GeorgeSh's gear list:GeorgeSh's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Lytro Illum Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D700 Canon EOS 7D +7 more
studio311 Contributing Member • Posts: 553
Re: Pattern noise update

davexl wrote:

I haven't seen his folio if that is what you mean, but his paysite is filled with real world photos - he is not a test chart photographer...

http://diglloyd.com/ and scroll down, and you will see examples.

If he knows his stuff, I don't particularly care what his photos look like. I would rate him highly as a technical reviewer, perhaps a bit on the cranky side, but hypercritical is what I want in a reviewer - I want them to find the weaknesses before I do, and be hard to please.

Light Pilgrim wrote:

Let me ask an honest question....have you seen his photographs? How do you rate him as a photographer?

And Lloyd is just that....hypercritical, detailed and a bit cranky I think he does an outstanding job of evaluating products. One, of course, has to accept his biases based on what and how he shoots.

The banding on the 1Dx is very disappointing, especially for such an expensive cam. Then again, for its targeted potential buyer, probably not a problem in "real world" shooting.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads