Why I'll have a look at EOS M, and what I'll look for...

Started Jul 24, 2012 | Discussions
maxxjr Regular Member • Posts: 341
Why I'll have a look at EOS M, and what I'll look for...

Why I'll have a look...

for business travel, where I want to take a camera just in case. Call it a prejudice or "DSLR snobbery", but I just haven't had an interest in a P&S. I like to avoid flash unless necessary, so APS-C with better high-ISO performance, and a fast lens are key. (Maybe a mistake, since a P&S would be cheaper). I now have the 40mm pancake + T3i for a small-ish DSLR set up for these trips. (I still have the Sigma 30, and will have to see if the f2.8 on the pancake is worth the trade-off for size)

What I'll look for...

From the few reviews that I have read, none of the pancake lenses on other mirror-less systems have really leapt out as being great. If the Canon 22mm shines, that will be a major reason for me to look at the EOS M system...and then I'll have the secondary benefit of having a back-up camera that works (with adapter) with my other lenses. I have been impressed with the 40mm, and reviews seem to back that up. So maybe some of the design magic is re-used in the 22mm.

For the most part, I don't care about a lot of the bells and whistles on a lot of new cameras. (though slow AF will be an issue if still there on production models). I can learn a new interface, and I am not religious about view finders (for this type of camera).

If the lens is nothing special...

Maybe I'll look at other mirror-less camera systems, or at a P&S again. Or maybe I'll continue to wait...

PaulRivers Veteran Member • Posts: 7,420
Re: Why I'll have a look at EOS M, and what I'll look for...

Yeah, the EOS-M is really the:

• Smallest

• Best for low light

• At the lowest cost

Mirrorless you can buy. The NEX doesn't compete as it doesn't have a compact f2.0-or-better prime lens.

The only other interesting option is the Olympus e5m (I think that's the name) - with the f1.7 lens which is about 1/2 of a stop better than f2.0, that makes up some of the sensor difference, and the in-body stabilization gives you IS as well, something the Canon does lack. However, that's also $900 + a $350 lens, so...the Canon is still the cheapest...

alexzn
alexzn Senior Member • Posts: 1,782

Not really... OM-D is quite a bit bigger, but a MUCH better photographic tool. Based on the test shots at DPR, the sensor in the OM-D is actually better than the EOS-M sensor (despite being smaller,...I know...) If you add IBIS to the mix, the Olympus is a much better value for your money. There is no indication so far that the 22mm Canon pancake is an optical gem, while the 20f1.7 is cell known for being very good. RX100 deserves a serious look by anyone who wants a compact just in case travel camera. Built beautifully too.

PaulRivers wrote:

• Smallest

• Best for low light

• At the lowest cost

Mirrorless you can buy. The NEX doesn't compete as it doesn't have a compact f2.0-or-better prime lens.

The only other interesting option is the Olympus e5m (I think that's the name) - with the f1.7 lens which is about 1/2 of a stop better than f2.0, that makes up some of the sensor difference, and the in-body stabilization gives you IS as well, something the Canon does lack. However, that's also $900 + a $350 lens, so...the Canon is still the cheapest...

Cipher Senior Member • Posts: 2,640

Panasonic 20mm f1.7 pancake is a great lens. It stays on my OM-D E-M5 most of the time.

maxxjr wrote:

From the few reviews that I have read, none of the pancake lenses on other mirror-less systems have really leapt out as being great. If the Canon 22mm shines, that will be a major reason for me to look at the EOS M system...and then I'll have the secondary benefit of having a back-up camera that works (with adapter) with my other lenses.

GeraldW Veteran Member • Posts: 8,188

Have you considered the Canon G1X? It has virtually APS-C noise levels at high ISO. covers 28-112 mm, equivalent, and has an optical viewfinder.
--
Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Olympus Stylus 1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Canon G7 X II
ScottieC
ScottieC Contributing Member • Posts: 643

Well the Canon EOS-M is out and I am more than likely going to buy it come October for my wife. This Canon EOS-M is a consumer class camera, this is not a pro camera; however, I would expect some serious photographers to pick it up. This new camera does have full manual and automatic capabilities, and it is all touch screen controlled.

I believe this will be a great compliment to the Canon DSLR’s, when people don’t want to carry a DSLR. The specifications are very similar to the Canon EOS Rebel T4i/650D, so the choice a person would need to make is the body type. Do you want a DSLR or a small slim body?

There is a very strong positive about the camera, and that is the EF-M adapter that is used to connect the Canon EF and EF-S lenses to the body. The fact that you can use the camera with a Canon designed adapter, is miles ahead of anything else because you know it is completely compatible with all of the Canon EF & EF-S lenses, if you choose to use them. I can see this used for street walking and for Macro-work.

This camera does not appear to have weather sealing, and so far, Canon has not stated that it has any kind of inclement weather resistance. In addition, the EF-M adapter does not have a seal on the back end that would plug into the EF-M mount on the body, and the battery/SD card door clearly shows a lack of weather sealing.
This is not pro camera and really competes with Canon Rebel T4i/650D.

Some of the issues I see are:
Lack of weather sealing,
Only does 4.3 fps and it should have at least 6 FPS.
Max shutter speed is only 1/4000th
SD card is used instead of CF card (That is a 50/50%) depending on who you are.

No built in networked connectivity (unless it is compatible with the Canon WFT-E7A Wireless File Transmitter and the camera does have USB hmmm)

I predict that this camera will sell well, and I also predict that Canon will sell a more upscale and downscale version of this camera. If this is similar to the Canon Rebel T4i in specs, just image if Canon made a larger thicker one based off the 5D Mark III specs.

ScottieC's gear list:ScottieC's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +8 more
archiebald Senior Member • Posts: 1,499

alexzn wrote:

Not really... OM-D is quite a bit bigger, but a MUCH better photographic tool. Based on the test shots at DPR, the sensor in the OM-D is actually better than the EOS-M sensor (despite being smaller,...I know...) If you add IBIS to the mix, the Olympus is a much better value for your money. There is no indication so far that the 22mm Canon pancake is an optical gem, while the 20f1.7 is cell known for being very good. RX100 deserves a serious look by anyone who wants a compact just in case travel camera. Built beautifully too.

Sorry, but what a rubbish statement.

There is no indication so far that the 22mm Canon pancake is an optical gem, while the 20f1.7 is cell known for being very good.

There is also no indication so far that the 22mm Canon pancake is NOT an optical gem.

Did you study at FOX or CNN?

archiebald Senior Member • Posts: 1,499

ScottieC wrote:

Well the Canon EOS-M is out and I am more than likely going to buy it come October for my wife. This Canon EOS-M is a consumer class camera, this is not a pro camera; however, I would expect some serious photographers to pick it up. This new camera does have full manual and automatic capabilities, and it is all touch screen controlled.

Completely agree

I believe this will be a great compliment to the Canon DSLR’s, when people don’t want to carry a DSLR. The specifications are very similar to the Canon EOS Rebel T4i/650D, so the choice a person would need to make is the body type. Do you want a DSLR or a small slim body?

Completely agree

There is a very strong positive about the camera, and that is the EF-M adapter that is used to connect the Canon EF and EF-S lenses to the body. The fact that you can use the camera with a Canon designed adapter, is miles ahead of anything else because you know it is completely compatible with all of the Canon EF & EF-S lenses, if you choose to use them. I can see this used for street walking and for Macro-work.

Completely agree

This camera does not appear to have weather sealing, and so far, Canon has not stated that it has any kind of inclement weather resistance. In addition, the EF-M adapter does not have a seal on the back end that would plug into the EF-M mount on the body, and the battery/SD card door clearly shows a lack of weather sealing.

Don't agree, weather sealing is not required on this level of camera.

Some of the issues I see are:
Lack of weather sealing,

Wait for the semi pro model

Only does 4.3 fps and it should have at least 6 FPS.

Wait for the semi pro model

Max shutter speed is only 1/4000th

Can't remember that last time I needed anything faster

SD card is used instead of CF card (That is a 50/50%) depending on who you are.

No built in networked connectivity (unless it is compatible with the Canon WFT-E7A Wireless File Transmitter and the camera does have USB hmmm)

Well, on the last two, a CF card is far too big for the body, most people interested in this camera will be coming from cameras that already use SD cards and you could always use an Eye-Fi card so networking solved.

IcyVeins Senior Member • Posts: 1,342

NEX is smaller
NEX sensor has better high ISO performance
NEX costs less

Sorry, wrong on all three counts.

In fact the E-M5 may even be as good or better at high ISOs as the EOS M, just compare NEX-5N and E-M5 with DPR's studio comparison tool.

PaulRivers wrote:

• Smallest

• Best for low light

• At the lowest cost

IcyVeins's gear list:IcyVeins's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W290

alexzn wrote:

Not really... OM-D is quite a bit bigger, but a MUCH better photographic tool. Based on the test shots at DPR, the sensor in the OM-D is actually better than the EOS-M sensor (despite being smaller,...I know...)

I'll give you that looking at the dpreview test shots, looking at raw, they look extremely similar, despite the Olympus having the smaller sensor.

The Olympus is still a physically bigger camera with a higher price tag.

If you add IBIS to the mix, the Olympus is a much better value for your money.

I like in body stabilization, but you should only need 1/35 to take pics with a 35mm-equivalent lens without image stabilization - and 1/30 is about the lowest shutter speed you can go to for pics of people posing, 1/60 is preferable, as 1/30 will give you blur if they move at all during the shot.

There is no indication so far that the 22mm Canon pancake is an optical gem, while the 20f1.7 is cell known for being very good.

There's no reason to believe that the Canon pancake will be bad, either. The 20f1.7 is also know for it's relatively slow autofocus (putting it on par with most Canon compacts, I believe, not saying the EOS-M will be better, but likely the same).

RX100 deserves a serious look by anyone who wants a compact just in case travel camera. Built beautifully too.

It's a very nicely specced camera, definitely.

PaulRivers wrote:

• Smallest

• Best for low light

• At the lowest cost

IcyVeins wrote:

NEX is smaller

Nex 5n - 110.8 x 62.2 x 38.2 mm
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonynex5n/2

EOS-M - 109 x 66 x 32 mm
117 x 63 x 33mm
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-m/2

NEX sensor has better high ISO performance

I compared the 60d to the Nex 5n - I don't see a difference -
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos60D/19

NEX costs less

Only the 5n with the short zoom is $700. And that's it's "$100 less after it's been out for a while" price.

The NEX f1.8 prime lens costs $300, which makes it a $1,000 NEX vs an $800 EOS-M if you want a camera that performs the best in low light.

And that doesn't count that the nex simply doesn't have a compact f2.0 or better lens - it's f2.8 is relatively large.

Sorry, wrong on all three counts.

Sorry, what you wrote is pretty full of it.

In fact the E-M5 may even be as good or better at high ISOs as the EOS M, just compare NEX-5N and E-M5 with DPR's studio comparison tool.

As I said, I could see how someone could say they appear to perform the same. But the e-m5 is still a larger camera with a higher price tag to get the f1.7 prime lens.

PaulRivers wrote:

• Smallest

• Best for low light

• At the lowest cost

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads