Ansel Adams Challenge

Started Jul 24, 2012 | Discussions
kbColorado Junior Member • Posts: 32
Ansel Adams Challenge

Wow ... some fantastic shots. Curiously, EVERY front page finisher has at least two .5 votes. My fave, the second place "thunderstorm approaches," has FOUR .5 votes! I never pay too much attention to the insecure folk doleing out bad scores for great photos, but that is pretty consistent sabotage.

Hammering on other folks photos is a lot easier than improving one's own photography skills, I suppose

l_objectif
l_objectif Forum Pro • Posts: 20,884
Re: Ansel Adams Challenge

I think exactely the same!... Why so many 0.5 votes for the second place that in my view is the best? ... But this shot is the only good shot to get low votes; many excellent others also have the honor!...

Once again, this voting system is failing and sandbagging goes on!...
--
Louis

My DPR Gallery (Shots with Dlux3, Dlux4,Dlux5, Nikon D300)
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/6584690903/photos/slideshow
My contributions to DPR Challenges:
http://www.dpreview.com/members/6584690903/challenges

l_objectif's gear list:l_objectif's gear list
Leica D-LUX 3 Leica D-LUX 4 Leica D-LUX 5 Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon D300 +9 more
SeaPower New Member • Posts: 14

I wouldn’t read too much into the voting and challenges, but just look on it as a bit of fun and a chance to see other people’s images. They do call them challenges rather than competitions, of course it is always nice to have the praise of others, but remember that the voting is done by the general public so to do well you have to appeal to their tastes. It could be your style of photography is not in vogue, but it doesn’t make it any less valid.

If you consider the Ansel Adams challenge there was 200 entries and 5457 votes so basically the equivalent of just over 27 people voted for all entries. I did enter this challenge and I did vote, though I do consider it odd (wrong) to vote on a challenge I have entered, but if I didn’t there would be even fewer votes. The picture that came second received four 0.5 votes but I think some people might consider the clouds overworked, they could be harsh critics or don’t know Ansel Adams style.

I am sure there are people who cheat it’s just human nature but I don’t think they really have much effect on the final result and the more people that vote the less effect. Again if we consider the Ansel challenge one of the rules is a minimum size of 1024x768, when I entered the challenge I read this as maximum size (normally they state maximum not minimum). As far as I can see the winning shot is 1000x667 so should it be disqualified? To me it is one of the best shots and has a very Adams feel, I am sure the entrant has it in bigger size somewhere.

As I said at the start I would look at the challenges as a bit of fun, the judging and voting has few constraints and hence can throw up some strange results. There are a lot of rigorous photography competitions out there if you want a real challenge.

SeaPower's gear list:SeaPower's gear list
Canon G7 X II
MouraPhoto Junior Member • Posts: 38

One of the hosts of this challenge recently just distributed 0.5 votes in the Cartier Bresson challenge because he felt none of those pictures were close enough to HCB style. Looking at this challenge, to me, very few of these pictures actually get even close to AD style, including most of the top 10. Maybe other people felt the same?

You might say they don't know AD style well enough, but as you can see from the discussion regarding the HCB challenge, this particular person also didn't seem to understand HCB style all that well. That's just the nature of it, doesn't necessarily mean sandbagging.

I initially participated in this challenge, then withdrew my photo because I thought it wasn't good enough for the high standards of the hosts. Now I see a lot of photos who made it without being DQ are as far away from AD style as I am from Antarctica. But that's ok, because we do this for fun, not to get upset!

l_objectif wrote:

I think exactely the same!... Why so many 0.5 votes for the second place that in my view is the best? ... But this shot is the only good shot to get low votes; many excellent others also have the honor!...

Once again, this voting system is failing and sandbagging goes on!...
--
Louis

cfh25 Senior Member • Posts: 1,070

Very predictable. My contribution to the HCB discussion:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1044&message=42023664

Tim A2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,099
OK to withdraw my entry?

Would it be bad form on my part to withdraw my entry? The score it received has little meaning. It is in 67th place, but the bar for 0.5 stars is higher than the rest.

Tim

El Crapio
El Crapio Forum Member • Posts: 76

One solution really... honest people should stop entering and/or voting on challenges, until the problem becomes even more obvious and DPR has to do something for it.

l_objectif
Re: OK to withdraw my entry?

Tim, you are free to do whatever you wish with your entry! ... It is a nice shot; the reason why it had so many .5 votes!

I withdrew mine because I was really disgusted by votes and .5 points!

Many challenges have this problem. Police car challenge is one of them; and more notably, the "Coffee table" challenge!... The street photography challenge is another one!

This is really sad and I hope DPR is aware of this problem and this bad system.

I believe all hosts should continue asking changes to DPR!
--
Louis

Leica D-LUX 3 Leica D-LUX 4 Leica D-LUX 5 Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon D300 +9 more
OP kbColorado Junior Member • Posts: 32

To be clear, I don't see it as a "problem" as it's just for fun. I just thought it curious that EACH OF THE TOP HUNDRED finishers ( I checked beyond the first page after I started this thread) received AT LEAST two .5 votes. Really, anyone entering challenges has got to know thats how things work around here so no big deal.

Maybe a"purist" or two decided anything in the digital realm can not be faithful to the AA style and as such all entries deserved the .5s.

MouraPhoto Junior Member • Posts: 38

What I don't understand is why the outcry for that behaviour here, but not when it happened in the HCB challenge by the same host. Can someone explain that to me?

kbColorado wrote:

To be clear, I don't see it as a "problem" as it's just for fun. I just thought it curious that EACH OF THE TOP HUNDRED finishers ( I checked beyond the first page after I started this thread) received AT LEAST two .5 votes. Really, anyone entering challenges has got to know thats how things work around here so no big deal.

Maybe a"purist" or two decided anything in the digital realm can not be faithful to the AA style and as such all entries deserved the .5s.

jrtrent Veteran Member • Posts: 4,406

l_objectif wrote:

Many challenges have this problem. Police car challenge is one of them; and more notably, the "Coffee table" challenge!... The street photography challenge is another one!

I didn't vote in either the police car or street photography challenges, but I can understand a lot of 0.5 star votes in the coffee table challenge. The description said, "Full color photo of your (recognizable) coffee table or end table," and one of the challenge rules made it even more clear by saying, "Must be able to tell it is a coffee table/end table/or bedside table." Many of the entries were framed so closely that it's hard to tell if it's actually a coffee table/end table, or if it was instead a kitchen table, dining room table, or possibly even a countertop. I know that I gave lower scores if I couldn't tell what kind of table it was, and maybe others did, too.

l_objectif wrote:

Tim, you are free to do whatever you wish with your entry! ... It is a nice shot; the reason why it had so many .5 votes!

I withdrew mine because I was really disgusted by votes and .5 points!

This is really sad and I hope DPR is aware of this problem and this bad system.

I believe all hosts should continue asking changes to DPR!
--
Louis

I've always wondered why people withdraw entries after a challenge. EVERY entry in this challenge got MULTIPLE .5 votes. You have a lot of great photos and high finishes in challenges ... do you always withdraw an entry that doesn't finish as highly as you want ?

Car629
Car629 Contributing Member • Posts: 647

Hi,

I entered this challenge and came 153rd which I am quite pleased with. Lol

I can here you all say “Pleased with!“ but I had never heard of Ansel Adams until this challenge and had to google him to see what his photographic style was. I tried my best to replicate it but I did not know if I had succeeded, even just a little bit, and it was up to the voters to tell me this. The votes on this photograph are a bit strange can someone explain to me why people voted the way they did? (If possible)
I have 4 x .5 votes but 9 x 2s and even one 5 vote and some others in-between.

I would be interested in your explanation and thoughts on where I went wrong, I do have my own thoughts and it would like to see if I am correct.

Perhaps people will say why did you enter if you did not know his style but my reply to that is, “It’s a bit of fun and a way to learn”.

Challenge link to my entry:- http://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Entry.aspx?ID=644150&View=Results&Rows=25

Carol

l_objectif

As I participate in many challenges and therefore, my challenge pages add up; I often clean them up as it has been discussed several times in this forum and as many others do it to!

Also, I do not have any web site or Flickr, etc... I use my DPR galleries and Challenge pages as a kind of samples of my photography. Therefore, I keep shots that I bleive better represent my work; and of course, those that I think are better!... This what everyone does with his/her website!

Once a shot has been judged and voted, I believe the photographer can decide what do to with it!

-- hide signature --

Louis

l_objectif wrote:

As I participate in many challenges and therefore, my challenge pages add up; I often clean them up as it has been discussed several times in this forum and as many others do it to!

Also, I do not have any web site or Flickr, etc... I use my DPR galleries and Challenge pages as a kind of samples of my photography. Therefore, I keep shots that I bleive better represent my work; and of course, those that I think are better!... This what everyone does with his/her website!

Once a shot has been judged and voted, I believe the photographer can decide what do to with it!

Thanks Louis ... yes of course it's your choice. You are the first I've heard explain why they withdraw photos after judging is done. Thanks again ... love your pics.

kb

l_objectif

You are welcome, kb!

I don't know about others, but I am using my Gallery and Challenge pages as my "Portfolio"! I usually don't keep the same shots in both those sections; therefore, I try to keep what I consider "Better" in each!

regards,
--
Louis

Slynky Senior Member • Posts: 2,434

kbColorado wrote:

l_objectif wrote:

Thanks Louis ... yes of course it's your choice. You are the first I've heard explain why they withdraw photos after judging is done . Thanks again ... love your pics.

Actually, there is a thread about it...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1044&message=41768926

kb

-- hide signature --

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to their country for an amount of "up to and including my life".

(...from the generation that still uses capital letters and punctuation...)

Slynky's gear list:Slynky's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
Steve Throndson Senior Member • Posts: 2,702

Car629,

I left my 'critique' as a comment under your entry. (just my opinion)

It's good that this challenge introduced you to Ansel Adams and prompted you to do a little research. It's all about learning.

What would you think if I were to tinker with 'Bealach na Ba' in Photoshop ?

Car629
Car629 Contributing Member • Posts: 647

I don't mind at all please be my guest would be interested to see what you make of it.

Carol

Steve Throndson Senior Member • Posts: 2,702

Car629,

Original on left, edited version on right. Cropped, darkened sky, added contrast to water and clouds, etc.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads