#31 Weekly_*OLYMPUS FT 43 DSLR PHOTOS Only*

Started Jul 23, 2012 | Discussions
Rich Z
Rich Z Veteran Member • Posts: 8,906
Re: Essay: In The Roundhouse

Thank you. I appreciate your comment and I'm happy you like them. Working with multiple strobes is fun and it can make you tear hair from your head in frustration, too. I like the pic of my arm the best. Rich

http://photobucket.com/dfr49_pix

LouHolland
OP LouHolland Veteran Member • Posts: 9,330
Re: Gulf Fritillary

Wow this is so fragile and so much clarity and beautiful bokeh, really great shots and capture Charles.

Lou

-

Charles Baxter wrote:

Gulf Fritillary on lantana. Handheld. Charles Baxter

LouHolland

Hi Richz, interesting Essay you got here and I've to say composition wise I like number 2 and 6 most and for some interesting detail number 4, but I understand they all belong together in one essay. Like the lights effort you put in as well. Great subject, worth some visits.

Lou

-

Rich Z wrote:

I drove by the old Hammond Lumber Co. rail yards Saturday and the gate was open to the rail yards and roundhouse. Volunteers from the Timber Heritage Association (timberheritage dot org) were working. I'm not scheduled to do my photo shoot there for a few more weeks, but I went in to get a few shots with only the two strobes I usually have with me, FL50 and FL 50r. Having a auto-slave/remote strobe along can be invaluable. Here are a few of the (way too many) shots I took that day. When I do the scheduled shoot, I'll be using a dozen slave strobes bounced off the walls, so the light will be spread more evenly and the sharpness and contrast will be less overblown. Rich

The roundhouse had been used for storage for the last fifty years, since diesel replaced steam. The tracks into the roundhouse were replaced with pavement. That will be undone, eventually.
E5, ZD 12-60, 12mm, ISO 100, 1/250, f8.

Very dark in there with the huge doors closed. This shot with two strobes, one on camera, one hand held. That's an enormous Baldwin 2-8-2 line hauler. For pulling long trains down to San Francisco.
E3, ZD 7-14, 7mm, Fl 50 + FL 50R, ISO 320, 1/160, f5.

Shay articulated truck type locomotive. Designed to negotiate very winding track back into The Redwoods. The steam cylinders are upright on right side of locomotive. They run a crankshaft which sends power through drive shafts to front and rear wheel trucks. The trucks swivel under the chassis, allowing the locomotive to make tight turns. You can see the enormous universal joints in the drive line. And the ring and pinion gears. The ring gear is part of the drive wheel applying traction to the track. Shot with same two strobes, the slave FL 50R set up high on locomotive behind me.
E3, ZD 7-14, 7mm, ISO 320, 1/200, f5.

Three steam cylinders with connecting rods down to the crankshaft.
Same set up as previous.

Rear truck, under the tender, behind the locomotive. Notice the slip fit driveshaft allowing it to change length as the truck swivels. The two universal joints facing each other operate much like the constant velocity (CV) joints in your front wheel drive car which wear out so often.
Same set up as previous.

The other side of a Shay. I couldn't shoot the other side of the first Shay I shot, it is too close to the locomotive next to it, so I used this one, which is the same model. Yeah, they have two of them! Shot with two strobes, FL50 on camera, FL 50R hand held.
E3, ZD 7-14, 7mm, ISO 125, 1/200, f4 (wide open).

Front view of The Shay locomotive. Notice the boiler is offset far to the left of the chassis to make room for the drive line running down the right side. Single FL50 in camera shoe. Standing with my back against a closed door with the front coupler about a foot from my considerable belly. Oh, do I love the ZD 7-14, what a lens!
Same settings as above.

Oops! Note to self: Keep finger off shutter release button when holding camera.

LouHolland
Re: Vertical Panorama

Wonderful shot Sadwitch and you did well on the vertical choice and it's not only a great shot ,but you've showed us the capability of the E330 as well.

Lou

-

sadwitch wrote:

Haven't been checking here for a long time so here goes.

Vertical Pano of La Trobe Reading Room at State Library Victoria.

E330, Can't remember the Exif though

LouHolland
Re: Hiker in Denali Alaska Wilderness

Brad it's certainly a nice shot,but what stikes me is that the guy uses binoculairs while he got over his shoulders a tripod with a viewer who gives him defenitly more from the landscape around him and I guess he took it for that reason. That makes it a bit a pose.

Lou

-

Brad Ross wrote:

Brad Ross Veteran Member • Posts: 7,951
Explanation

Lou, he was the nature guide. He would scan the landscape for wild life with the binoculars such as moose and elk. Once he found the animals he would set up the high power viewer so that we all could look through it.
--
Brad Ross

Brad Ross's gear list:Brad Ross's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II
Re: Hawk

For being two stops underexposed you did a good job of recovery. I see hawks circling but have had the chance to photograph a resting hawk. The closet I came was pulling in my suburban NJ driveway and seeing one. Take off with a pigeon who was at my bird feeder.
--
Brad Ross

Re: Storm Damage

storm is one thing, buying your bridal gown and tux and going next store for a wedding is a great "strip mall" image ( without the strip hopefully during the ceremony, )
--
Brad Ross

sadwitch Senior Member • Posts: 1,117
Thanks. The E330 is a superb camera for colours

I always love the colours coming from E330, and it's my first E-system camera so I have a special fondness to it. The live view is great to use and not slow at all in good light. Only thing is that the viewfinder is a tad too small.

I haven't shot with it for very long but everytime i look at the photos taken with it, the colours just leaps.

-- hide signature --
sadwitch Senior Member • Posts: 1,117
Re: Darters and a bit of stuff.

The weaver bird shot is superb.

-- hide signature --
Rich Z
Rich Z Veteran Member • Posts: 8,906

Thanks, Lou. I'm going to hit that enormous room with a dozen slave strobes, It is amazing how much power just the two FL 50s have. Rich

http://photobucket.com/dfr49_pix

19andrew47
19andrew47 Forum Pro • Posts: 30,741
one more

LouHolland
Re: Explanation

Brad thanks for the explanation, that sounds plausible and logical. Could have come up with myself, but I didn't.

Lou

-

Brad Ross wrote:

Lou, he was the nature guide. He would scan the landscape for wild life with the binoculars such as moose and elk. Once he found the animals he would set up the high power viewer so that we all could look through it.
--
Brad Ross

LouHolland

Hi Andrew, nice shot you got there and you already did a good job on PP. I go for the second, Some tips..; To get rid of the dull sky you can use a cyan photo filter in PhotoShop, but beside that you can make the shot pop a bit more by putting a tad more red in through hue/saturation and a bit more yellow through hue/saturation. Now your hawk comes forward. Play with the sliders until you get some to your liking or what you remebered of what the colours are. I say that as I'm not a birder, so as someone said to me initially this one is purple I would believe him (a bit :)).

Lou

-

19andrew47 wrote:

Two shots of a hawk, handheld and unfortunately two stops underexposed and rescued in LR.

19andrew47
Thanks Lou

Thanks for the tips. I will give them a go!

Harri Fin H5 Senior Member • Posts: 1,704
Re: #31 Weekly_*OLYMPUS FT 43 DSLR PHOTOS Only*

Hi
please the taste of berry
to grow in our garden

(Ribes uva-crispa)
--
Harri

Harri Fin H5's gear list:Harri Fin H5's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1s Olympus E-510 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 35mm 1:3.5 Macro +3 more
LouHolland

Hi Harri, Funny shot that tastful arch is and now I see your fine shot it will remeber me that I was intended to plant this Ribes myself this year, but I'm that busy, I forgot. Lucky you

Lou

-

Harri Fin H5 wrote:

Hi
please the taste of berry
to grow in our garden

(Ribes uva-crispa)
--
Harri

citizenlouie Contributing Member • Posts: 796

Very good rescue, considering it's two stops difference.

citizenlouie's gear list:citizenlouie's gear list
Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +10 more
citizenlouie Contributing Member • Posts: 796

Love the veins on the berry.

citizenlouie's gear list:citizenlouie's gear list
Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +10 more
19andrew47

Well Harri,

Your berries looked delicious. I did not recognize them as something we have in southern Ontario, Canada. So I googled the name. Seems they are related to gooseberries which we do have. The pictures of gooseberries I saw looked like they have "hairs" on them, but yours did not seem to. So I guess they are different and I can never know what they really taste like unless I come to Finland!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads