RX100 questions before I make the leap...

Started Jul 23, 2012 | Discussions
scotbot Senior Member • Posts: 1,192
RX100 questions before I make the leap...

Thanks in advance...

1) Can the HDR and handheld twilight modes be selected when quality is set to RAW, the camera temporarily switching to Jpeg to capture them? Or are these modes disabled as on my NEX-5N?

2) Can the black and white mode be used when quality is set to RAW? (On my Lumix it shows a B&W on the screen but captures a normal RAW, I think on my NEX it's disabled).

3) Can the B&W be combined with handheld twilight, and can it be combined with HDR?

4) Is the shutter silent, or at least as quiet as a compact camera?

Again, thanks for answering my questions.
--
http://www.scottwylie.co.uk

By-eye Regular Member • Posts: 325
Re: RX100 questions before I make the leap...

(1) - No and yes, disabled in RAW
(2) - No - but with RAW you get to choose whatever effect you want in PP

(3) - Haven't checked exactly (anyone else?), but there is an enhanced B/W which is v contrasty

(4) Quiet as a mouse as long as you turn off the digitised sound. Yes, like a compact camera, only quieter.

Hoep that helps as a starter for your answers...

scotbot wrote:

Thanks in advance...

1) Can the HDR and handheld twilight modes be selected when quality is set to RAW, the camera temporarily switching to Jpeg to capture them? Or are these modes disabled as on my NEX-5N?

2) Can the black and white mode be used when quality is set to RAW? (On my Lumix it shows a B&W on the screen but captures a normal RAW, I think on my NEX it's disabled).

3) Can the B&W be combined with handheld twilight, and can it be combined with HDR?

Again, thanks for answering my questions.
--

OP scotbot Senior Member • Posts: 1,192

Thanks, I figured it would be the same as the NEX. Order placed!
--

By-eye Regular Member • Posts: 325

I haven't regretted getting one a tiny bit.

pocky Forum Member • Posts: 55

scotbot wrote:

With RAW or RAW+JPEG, HDR is greyed out, but all the scene modes work, automatically switching to jpeg, I assume. At least this is how it is on my (Japanese version) RX100.

Funnily enough, DRO seems to function in RAW - I had thought that all DRO does is change the RAW-> JPEG conversion curve? If so it shouldn't do anything in RAW, so it must be doing something more sophisticated than that. I haven't experimented with the RAW output yet, as the Sony software is so slow.

Unobtrusively quiet!

jules

AngryCorgi
AngryCorgi Contributing Member • Posts: 916

The shutter has to be the quietest shutter I've ever heard. If there is any noise (one person talking in a normal voice even) you won't be able to hear it. It's insanely quiet.
--
-AC-

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads