Canon Speedlite 90EX - Wireless Master Function

Started Jul 23, 2012 | Discussions
matreshka Regular Member • Posts: 138
Canon Speedlite 90EX - Wireless Master Function

Guys, do it get it right that that I can put this flash on my 5dIII and I would be able to control 580II remotely?

If so I will selll my EX270 (which very rarely used and use mainly as a fill light) and buy 90EX instead.

Moreover, 90EX would kill Canon Speedlite Transmitter ST-E2 which is a way more expensive.

Martin Muehlemann
Martin Muehlemann Senior Member • Posts: 1,324
Re: Canon Speedlite 90EX - Wireless Master Function

"The Speedlite 90EX also features a standard Canon EOS hot shoe mount for compatibility with all EOS SLRs. "

In short, yes. You will be able to trigger any Slave capable Speedlite flash

Cheers
Martin

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS 5D Mark III | EF 17-40L USM | EF 24-70L USM | EF 70-200L IS II USM | EF 70-300 DO IS USM | Extender 1.4x III | Speedlite 270EX | Speedlite 600EX-RT

http://www.muehlemann-pix.ch
http://www.fotocommunity.de/pc/pc/mypics/1125341

Martin Muehlemann's gear list:Martin Muehlemann's gear list
Canon PowerShot D20 Olympus TG-5 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS R +12 more
OP matreshka Regular Member • Posts: 138

Martin, thanks for your respons - I read that but I could not believe that Canon would cannibalize ST-E2 with 90ex.

So it looks like 90ex is what I miss in Canon line up: it will replace my 270ex as a fill flash and it will trigger my 580II and 11 years old 420 flashguns.

morrisng Junior Member • Posts: 38

I have been looking for a small flash for 5D3 as very infrequent uses as well (filled flashes, extreme low light) and not carrying the 580EX II all the time. Compared to the 270EX II, the new 90EX may as well be the true winner:

• Wireless master;

• 24mm wide angle coverage (28mm on 270EX II);

I wish Canon comes out with a flash size like this with AF-assist beam (LED or IR), and radio wireless (guess I am greedy, hehe

morrisng's gear list:morrisng's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Lemming51
Lemming51 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,941
Re: 90EX v. ST-E2

matreshka wrote:

Martin, thanks for your respons - I read that but I could not believe that Canon would cannibalize ST-E2 with 90ex.

The ST-E2's days were numbered with the release of the ST-E3 RT. While the 90EX is an inexpensive alternative to the ST-E2, its lesser features don't make it a direct competitor.

• The 90EX is very limited by it's 2xAAA power source, spec'd to last only 100 flashes.

• It does not appear to support High Speed Sync, either on its own or as a controller. The ST-E2 does enable wireless HSS.

• It also lacks the ST-E2's patterned near-IR AF Assist light. The 90EX does the annoying flicker-flash, and even that is disabled when it's set as the wireless controller.

So it looks like 90ex is what I miss in Canon line up: it will replace my 270ex as a fill flash and it will trigger my 580II and 11 years old 420 flashguns.

-- hide signature --

Unapologetic Canon Apologist

Lemming51's gear list:Lemming51's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +5 more
Phil
Phil Veteran Member • Posts: 3,142

Yes but like the ST-E2 the distance it can control the second flash is very limited. If you are taking more than snapshots then you quickly progress to using an off camera main flash and fill, either bounced or on camera.

The trouble starts when you progress to an umbrella or soft box to improve the quaility of the light from the main flash. The ST-E2, 580EXII, and 90EX are all line of sight IR signals.

When you position the main light it's easy to block the IR path therefore the pros left the ST-E2 alone and went to Pocket Wizard radio triggers.

Using the 90EX you will gain ST-E2 control but drop the power to one third of the 270EX which means it will best suit indoor or night photography.

-- hide signature --

Phil Agur

5DMKII - 7D Dual Body Bag - Go 'L' and don't look back!

Got 7D? See http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=3167

Phil's gear list:Phil's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +4 more
OP matreshka Regular Member • Posts: 138

yep, sure, the new radio flash system offers much better functionality as compared to the old IR-way of triggerring flash.

Nevertheless, I think 90ex would a great addtion (despite its plastic mount, AAA batteries, low leading number and etc) to 5d-series to control other flashes, short distance fill light and great portability for just a few buks.

I found the answer on my questions on Canon Canada website:
http://www.canon.ca/inetCA/products?m=gp&pid=17987#_020

1) Can I put this flash on my 5dIII?
Standard Canon EOS hot shoe mount for compatibility with all EOS SLRs

With a standard quick-release mounting foot, the Speedlite 90EX is not only the EOS M Digital Camera's perfect companion, it's also compatible with SLRs in the EOS system. In addition, the Speedlite 90EX is compatible with Canon's camera shoe cord OC-E3 for simple, off camera shooting.

2) Would I be able to control 580II remotely?

Wireless master function (optical) allows multiple flash units to be controlled for creative lighting effects

For a number of advanced lighting setups, the Speedlite 90EX can be used as a master transmitter to control multiple flash units - wirelessly! Through 4 channel optical light pulse transmission, the Speedlite 90EX can control up to three groups of slave-enabled flashes, controlling power from 8:1 to 1:8 in 1/2 stop increments. It can transmit up to approximately 16.4 ft. indoors, up to 23 ft. outdoors. With the Speedlite 90EX controlling each light source according to the specific parameters of a shot, the creative possibilities are endless!

Phil
Phil Veteran Member • Posts: 3,142

matreshka wrote:

It can transmit up to approximately 16.4 ft. indoors, up to 23 ft. outdoors.

That's a very tiny number and "up to" is techno speak for sometime not even that.

I unloaded an ST-E2 because I was missing shots and it was rated at 30 ft, nearly twice the range.

The triggers I use I've verified work at 200 ft. (ie Line them up on the hood of your car and walk down the road turning back to snap photos until you see a miss fire)
--
Phil Agur

5DMKII - 7D Dual Body Bag - Go 'L' and don't look back!

Got 7D? See http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=3167

Phil's gear list:Phil's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +4 more
stephanica New Member • Posts: 3

quick question - using the wireless master function would we be able to suppress the flash firing on the 90x and trigger only a slave flash such as the 430x?..thanks...

Le Kilt Senior Member • Posts: 2,496
90EX - Master or flash, not both

stephanica wrote:

quick question - using the wireless master function would we be able to suppress the flash firing on the 90x and trigger only a slave flash such as the 430x?..thanks...

When used as a master, the 90EX will not fire a flash or an AF assist beam.  It uses its power solely for triggering slave flashes (manual page 15).

Le Kilt's gear list:Le Kilt's gear list
Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM
stephanica New Member • Posts: 3
Re: 90EX - Master or flash, not both

thanks! in that case, I will pick one up.

Akasaka New Member • Posts: 6
Re: 90EX - Master or flash, not both

Le Kilt wrote:

stephanica wrote:

When used as a master, the 90EX will not fire a flash or an AF assist beam.  It uses its power solely for triggering slave flashes (manual page 15).

With PocketWizard still only supporting manual flash operation with the latest beta firmware, the 90X master option is a great one for us 1DX users! I just found out about this and am very happy... looking forward to trying some E-TTL in the studio with a handful of 550EX an 580EXII's. I've always used manual control (both for pack/heads and these Speedlites in my travel kit) but E-TTL might bring some added speed to shooting editorial style in studio where poses and directions change a lot.

Shiranai
Shiranai Regular Member • Posts: 325

Lemming51 wrote:
It does not appear to support High Speed Sync, either on its own or as a controller. The ST-E2 does enable wireless HSS.

Even if this thread is very old, I wanna add that 90EX does support HSS. Not on its own, but set as a master it can trigger HSS flashes.

Shiranai's gear list:Shiranai's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS R Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art +1 more
apersson850 Senior Member • Posts: 1,455

There will be a faint flash from the 90 EX in the picture, but it's normally visible only if you take photos of a mirror or window. Sometimes you see the reflection in people's eyes.

-- hide signature --

Anders

apersson850's gear list:apersson850's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS-1D X Mark II +24 more
Lemming51
Lemming51 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,941
Re: 90EX and HSS

Shiranai wrote:

Lemming51 wrote:
It does not appear to support High Speed Sync, either on its own or as a controller. The ST-E2 does enable wireless HSS.

Even if this thread is very old, I wanna add that 90EX does support HSS. Not on its own, but set as a master it can trigger HSS flashes.

Good to know, thanks for the correction.

-- hide signature --

Unapologetic Canon Apologist

Lemming51's gear list:Lemming51's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads