RX100 Battery Drain When Camera Off?

Started Jul 21, 2012 | Discussions
highlando New Member • Posts: 16
RX100 Battery Drain When Camera Off?

A couple of times since I received my RX100 I have put the camera away for a couple of days with the battery partially discharged (but not showing a low battery warning). Then when I turn the camera on a couple of days later the battery is completely dead.

I am testing this with my new spare battery now to see if the original camera battery might have been defective. But I wondered if anyone else has had this problem. Or if there is some setting I have made with the camera that is causing battery drain when the camera off.

-- hide signature --

• Highlando

GARich Contributing Member • Posts: 891
Re: RX100 Battery Drain When Camera Off?

No problems here. I have two batteries and they both hold a charge when camera is turned off...
--
Rich
http://forums.dpreview.com/galleries/6605521193/photos

Lloyd Lande New Member • Posts: 5

I am having this problem I turn the camera off with a fully charged battery and come back several hours later and the camera won't even turn on.  This has happened with 3 different batteries.  I don't think it is accidentally turning on via touching the display button.

Lloyd Lande's gear list:Lloyd Lande's gear list
Sony RX100 III
Len_Gee
Len_Gee Veteran Member • Posts: 9,880

are all your batteries  O.E.M.?

how are you charging them? Through the camera, or separate charger?

Lena

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus OM-D E-M10 IV Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 +4 more
Sean Nelson
Sean Nelson Forum Pro • Posts: 15,361

Some people have posted incidents where RX100 or RX100M2 models turn themselves on spontaneously.   If that happens, it can run the battery down, and when you come back to the camera again there's no indication it happened so the cause of the rundown is a mystery.

If you suspect this, leave the camera on a table, turned off, with something fairly light sitting up against the front of the lens housing.   If the camera turns on, the lens should extend and push the object away.   If the object is no longer up against the lens when you return then it means the camera must have turned itself on while you were gone.

AlphaTikal
AlphaTikal Senior Member • Posts: 2,160
Old thread warning

Guys you respond to a thread over two years old. Besides thid, I had similiar problem with my new A77M2. I think the internal battery for date will be charges. Not sure if this is the only reason, but maybe part of it.
--
· http://www.flickr.com/photos/blackhole_eater/
· (All photos are creative common licensed. Check them out.)
· English is not my native language.

AlphaTikal's gear list:AlphaTikal's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a77 II Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro (F004) Samsung Galaxy S7 edge +11 more
Sean Nelson
Sean Nelson Forum Pro • Posts: 15,361
Re: Old thread warning

AlphaTikal wrote:

Guys you respond to a thread over two years old.

Yes - but Lloyd is posting with his own new problem and, I think, deserves an answer.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads