Photomatix Aperture Plug-In or Nik HDEfex Pro 2

Started Jul 20, 2012 | Discussions
hisoy86 Regular Member • Posts: 182
Photomatix Aperture Plug-In or Nik HDEfex Pro 2

I have been trying out both of the above HDR packages this week. I can't seem to control where Photomatix saves my HDR photos. They seem to end up in the ApLibrary by default. I would like to save them elsewhere. HDEfex Pro seems to give you a choice. Am I missing something? I also got some corrupted pics with the first ones I made. Photomatix seems faster than HDEfex, but produces about the same quality.

My questions....

1. Are there reasons to prefer one over the other? I prefer the realistic look.

2. Are there advantages in getting the Photomatix Pro vs. the Aperture plug-in?

3. It appears the NIK package is a little more flexible, but slower?

Hardware is Late 2011 MBP 15" w/HiDef screen and 8 GB.

Thanks to all commenters in advance

Hisoy86

hisoy86's gear list:hisoy86's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +4 more
ticktockdoc Junior Member • Posts: 28
Re: Photomatix Aperture Plug-In or Nik HDEfex Pro 2

Photomatix vs HDR Effex 1...I prefer Photomatix but v2 of HDR Effex Pro is a vast improvement, particularly in the realism arena. Very easy to remain natural.

I use it as a photoshop plugin and it is quite snappy there. I here LR and Aperture are slower hosts.

ticktockdoc's gear list:ticktockdoc's gear list
Sony RX100 V Nikon D810 +2 more
jbagg Regular Member • Posts: 237

I tried both Photomatix and Nik HDR Efex Pro 1. I chose the Nik HDR software because I prefer HDR images that look natural and the Nik software seemed to give me more natural results by default. I now have the new version of Nik HDR Efex Pro and I believe the results are even more natural looking.

As for integration with Aperture, both products have plugins available. Photomatix has additional functionality if you run it stand-alone. I believe Photomatix Pro, when stand-alone, can do batch processing, whereas the Nik software cannot.

Here's an example of an HDR image of a sunrise I processed in both Nik HDR Efex Pro 2 and Aperture 3.3: http://www.flickr.com/photos/baggaley/7578388800/

jbagg's gear list:jbagg's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 +1 more
OP hisoy86 Regular Member • Posts: 182

Thanks for the feedback. I think it is close either way. Leaning toward the Photomatix plugin at this time.

hisoy86's gear list:hisoy86's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +4 more
vizwiz Regular Member • Posts: 388

I had compared photomatix vs hard efex 1 a few months ago and went with photomatix. Within a couple of hours of playing with the new hdr efex pro 2 however, I was shelling out $85 for a copy of that. Photomatix is now collecting dust on my SSD drive. HDR Efex Pro2 has some great presets for a range of realism, and they can be tweaked fairly intuitively. A clear winner IMO.

-- hide signature --

eyeu Contributing Member • Posts: 978

Why don't you download trials of each...see which you prefer. I like the NIK HDR pro2..big improvement over the initial NIK HDR.
--
http://www.eyeu.smugmug.com

eyeu's gear list:eyeu's gear list
Canon PowerShot D10 Canon G9 X Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS M Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads