Canon Repair Department ripoff

Started Jul 20, 2012 | Discussions
Rational Regular Member • Posts: 335
Canon Repair Department ripoff

My 60D, like many 60Ds, had a defective adhesive that holds the rubberized outer surface to the camera body. It was coming off in many places.

This is clearly a manufacturing defect that has been documented by numerous 60D owners in this and other forums.

When I sent it for repair to Canon's Virginia location, they charged me a full $200 to replace this $5 item (plus shipping costs to send it back to me). They called this $200 fee their "standard repair fee"; never mind that it takes 5 minutes to do replace the rubberized glue-on piece; never mind that the part costs a couple of dollars; never mind that it was an obvious manufacturing defect in the first place.

I long for the British law that obligates manufacturers to warranty products against defects regardless if the warranty period of 1 year that Canon gives in the US has expired.

When I talked to one of their supervisors there, I was given the usual canned speech about "we have no record of this problem having happened before"!

Yuk.

Rational's gear list:Rational's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Nikon D810
Lemming51
Lemming51 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,798
Re: Canon Repair Department

If you sent it in and told them "fix it," then you got exactly what you requested.

If you submitted it as a warranty claim and they say no, it's not covered, Canon Service doesn't continue with the fix unless you agree to the charge. At that point you can argue your case, or refuse and have it returned to DIY.

-- hide signature --

Unapologetic Canon Apologist

Lemming51's gear list:Lemming51's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +5 more
Michael Edward Rudge Veteran Member • Posts: 7,076
Re: Canon Repair Department ripoff

So sorry to hear about your problem, I had the same problem with my 60D, and it was just under 2 years old, I sent it to the canon service repair shop here in UK, they fitted a full set of rubber grips, at no cost, as the early 60D's had a bad batch fitted at factory, it has been great ever since .

The replacement rubbers are available on-line Ebay, and easy to fit, they come with that double sided sticky tape, so next time a DIY job is going to be the best way in your case.
--

http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x223/eirianfa2002/?albumview=slideshow&mediafilter=images

http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x223/eirianfa2002/Komandoo%202008/?albumview=grid

Michael Edward Rudge's gear list:Michael Edward Rudge's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Canon Pixma MG5350
Stakeouttoo
Stakeouttoo Senior Member • Posts: 1,008

wow.. that's a bummer... did you ask them first before the repair if it was under warranty

for those not aware... if you purchase an electronic item with your American Express Credit Card .. Amex will double the warranty period .. in this case a Canon 1 yr warranty becomes 2 years...( believe it's max at 5 years total)

I know it w*rks .. I submitted a Amex repair claim 1 week before the 2 year period was up on my old Canon Xsi (450d) and they paid it to me right away...over $200
--
Ray

my Canon 60d sure beats using that ol' Petri 7s

Stakeouttoo's gear list:Stakeouttoo's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +6 more
katman68 Regular Member • Posts: 487

I hope you didn't just tell them "fix it" & not request an estimate first? Surely you didn't pay them this absurd amount!

If you haven't, based on my experience I'd say "not acceptable" & ask to speak to THEIR supervisor. I had to do this 2X during my call w/my 7D that drowned due to a defective seal halfway around the world. The first 2 customer reps told me the "we don't cover moisture/corrosion damage" line. They also claimed transferring me likely wouldn't help. Clearly, they're trained to do this. #3 was the charm. Within about a wk I received overnight(without my asking) a NIB 7D.

They are well aware it's a documented product defect. I'd even ask why the previous supervisor point blank lied to you, this issue is so widely reported it should've been a product recall.

If they still refuse, I'd tell them to return it non-repaired(and fix it yourself cheaply). But first, let them know as a loyal customer that bought their $1000 camera not only the defect but this poor treatment & lying to you is unacceptable & will never buy from them again & take your business elsewhere. Could change their tune.

Canon is the largest DSLR co in the world for good reason, but often may need a push to do right. I never understand why customers having to fight just to be treated fairly occurs much as it does, except those that do it think they look better to their superiors "saving them $"? They know those unhappy can readily take to forums like this & spread the word. And they follow these forums too!

I hope this resolves fairly for you...

Mark

NormSchultze Regular Member • Posts: 276

Put your gripe on facebook. That drives companies crazy and makes them likely to do the right thing.

And, you can file a claim with the Better Business Bureau. That causes a lot of pain, answering the BBB. It is easier and cheaper to resolve the issue--"we're sorry for the mis-understanding...."

mtnredhed Junior Member • Posts: 45

Not sure what state you're in or where/how you purchased, but some states have consumer protection laws that might apply. Same with some credit cards for purchases above a certain value

jim

mtnredhed's gear list:mtnredhed's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III +5 more
pcb62 Regular Member • Posts: 135

My 60D is doing this, but it's not bad enough at this point that I want to go to the trouble to replace the rubber. My daughters T2i did this very severely. I ordered the replacement grip and double sided tape from Canon. The total cost including shipping was under $20 and of course the time for me to do the replacement.

I do think that Canon has a quality issue with grips on some of their bodies as this sort of thing happens far too often.

I think the fact that we both use L-Series white lenses on these bodies on a regular bases may have contributed to the failures, due to the extra weight and stress on the grip. Maybe our 60D and T2i's should have come with a warning that using white lenses could cause early failure of the grip.

aVolanche Veteran Member • Posts: 3,852

pcb62 wrote:

My 60D is doing this, but it's not bad enough at this point that I want to go to the trouble to replace the rubber. My daughters T2i did this very severely. I ordered the replacement grip and double sided tape from Canon. The total cost including shipping was under $20 and of course the time for me to do the replacement.

I do think that Canon has a quality issue with grips on some of their bodies as this sort of thing happens far too often.

I think the fact that we both use L-Series white lenses on these bodies on a regular bases may have contributed to the failures, due to the extra weight and stress on the grip. Maybe our 60D and T2i's should have come with a warning that using white lenses could cause early failure of the grip.

Same here on a 550D. But it looks like the rubber has stretched, too. Do the Ebay kits fit well?

Thanks, Fred

aVolanche's gear list:aVolanche's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Nikon D500 Nikon D5500 Nikon D810 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +4 more
Good suggestions

FWIW,

My friend I shoot with is a diehard Nikon fan.....the grip of her $5000 D3 at barely a yr old started coming off ALL OVER. Not long after, without even asking them to fix it she went & spent $6000 for one of the early D3S's. Go figure...I guess they won't take it seriously, if they're not held accountable to some degree.

Clearly it doesn't matter how solid or $$$ a camera is for this to happen, but sure am glad the 7D doesn't seem to have the issue. So far my grip is so attached, it feels like it's melted to the body.

Mark

pcb62 Regular Member • Posts: 135

I did find some kits on EBay, but they were actually more expensive then buying direct from Canon. I just checked my records and the total price from Canon for the grip, tape and shipping was $14.44. This was purchased in June of this year, so the price is probably still accurate.

rx74me Regular Member • Posts: 168

That flat pricing is also on the point and shoot no matter what the problem was.

I made a mistake of repairing the d10 when the lens on the flash cracked for 150.
I should have just waited for the d20.

VisualNectarPhotography
VisualNectarPhotography Regular Member • Posts: 370

Grips get gripped. They transfer all the torsional forces from the camera body and lenses however big or small to the users hands. They will always be a point of failure because of this.

Also if you one hand your camera more than not you will see this develop more quickly. This problem will not go away because its not cost effective for Canon, Nikon, Pentax or whoever to spend money R&Ding a new grip that is more durable when it cost them under $5 to replace the grip.
--

Be Content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you.

VisualNectarPhotography's gear list:VisualNectarPhotography's gear list
Nikon D2Hs Canon EOS 300D Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +3 more
OP Rational Regular Member • Posts: 335

Thanks to all for the great suggestions.

At this point I have already given them my credit card to charge their exorbitant fee, so it is too late for me to change that.

Perhaps this can act as a cautionary note to others facing similar problems with Canon's repair people.

What annoys me is that they had my name on record on file from when I had sent them an $8,000 1DsMkIII for cleaning of oil spots on the imaging sensor; any well run company would have said, "hey, this is a good customer and it the customers that ultimately pay our salaries, so lets not rip him off". Especially after I spoke with their supervisor who elected to do nothing.

As for Facebook, I don't have an account there. Complaining to the Better Business Bureau is always an option I suppose, but the likelihood of me getting anywhere is remote since they exist largely to prop up businesses. Canon will respond to them with a pro-forma reply that "this is our policy" and that will be the end of it.

Oh, well... Canon is not the only game in town.

NormSchultze Regular Member • Posts: 276

So get a facebook account and post the problem.

I've had a good experience w/ the BBB in a dispute. And the state consumer protection agency is worth filing. When you've been screewed over, the object is to be made whole. One way to do that, if taking the matter up with supervision is to cause the company "pain". That is, it is cheaper to fix the problem than to deal with multiple complaints from different agencies.

And that is REALLY what OP wanted, to be treated fairly and not be sandbagged.

That's too bad you went ahead & paid them....yes, a cautionary tale. Next time, in the note w/the product if clearly out of warranty request an estimate for the repairs prior to any being done(from what I can tell you didn't). Also, you may have been able to find out via phone before sending it to them they won't cover it & $200 is what it would cost.

Also, BEFORE paying them ask around. That puzzles me the most & happens time and again on this forum, people waiting until AFTER paying as to what they should do? THEN coming on here asking & complaining about the company.
That doesn't make any sense, like a wagon before the horse.

I'm not excusing Canon by any means, but it's the consumer's responsibility to be diligent & informed. Other stories as bad & much worse also happen w/Canon's competitors too, something to realize if considering a switch.

Regards,
Mark

Stakeouttoo
Stakeouttoo Senior Member • Posts: 1,008

Rational wrote:

At this point I have already given them my credit card to charge their exorbitant fee, so it is too late for me to change that.

NOT TOO LATE....try this...why not call your credit card company and file a complaint about what happened...improper charges on a known defect.. most credit card companies do an investigation on the complaint.. and put a hold on the charges until the complaint is resolved or comes out in your favor...... I know Amex and Visa do... this way it puts the burden on Canon to answer the complaint to the credit card company... it's worth a try...and it doesn't cost you a dime...

-- hide signature --

Ray

my Canon 60d sure beats using that ol' Petri 7s

Stakeouttoo's gear list:Stakeouttoo's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +6 more
OP Rational Regular Member • Posts: 335

I will do that (take it with Visa) although my guess is that the credit card company's position will be "you authorized the charge, so go away". I already sent a written complaint to the Better Business Bureau of Newport News, VA and will check to see if there is a Virginia State regulatory of consumer affairs office I can notify.

Thank you all. As you can guess, this is a matter of principle for me. The charge of $200 for what amounts to $10 worth of parts and a couple of minutes of time to put the new grips on, is bad enough; what rubbed me the wrong way was the Canon repair supervisor's at the Newport News VA site assertion that Canon has never heard of this problem happening before. When I told him that DPREVIEW is full of reports of that same problem, his answer was that "The Internet does not count".

I think it was wrong for Canon's official repair place to try to save $5-10 in doing the repair of an obvious manufacturing defect gratis, and to make, instead, a huge profit from its own manufacturing defect. it was just not right.

Thank you all. As you can guess, this is a matter of principle for me. The charge of $200 for what amounts to $10 worth of parts and a couple of minutes of time to put the new grips on, is bad enough; what rubbed me the wrong way was the Canon repair supervisor's at the Newport News VA site assertion that Canon has never heard of this problem happening before. When I told him that DPREVIEW is full of reports of that same problem, his answer was that "The Internet does not count".

Is the reason you went ahead & paid them because you felt legally bound to before even feeling you were fairly treated & received reasonably acceptable service? Otherwise, if you weren't happy why pay them. After all, as a consumer it is their duty as a business to make you happy(within reason) before expecting $ - and definitely w/such an excessive amt.

It's very puzzling you waited until after paying to pursue it as "matter of principle". One thing's for sure, it's much easier to get a mutually agreed outcome before paying someone!

Pursuing the credit card method is a good suggestion, I'd also contact Canon Hdqtrs regarding the issue and quote the inappropriate cop-out remark by the supervisor. Perhaps he'll learn not to do that again. People don't go around lying the grip on their camera is peeling off, and as we've seen there's a fair #. Canon is well aware of this issue, they've fixed a fair # under warranty. So frankly one of their supervisors is full of it, trying to make himself look better by the #'s - at your expense & they should be told so.

For the record, the VA service ctr is where I sent my failed 7D. I found their service a total botchery, and would never use them again(I'm not reiterating the gory details here but you can find them in my previous posts some time ago). The NJ center was total opposite, they really went out of their way on a 16 yr old L lens & thoroughly serviced it as a courtesy. That's right, $0! But, it seems Q of service varies widely by individual no matter the center, which is unfortunate.
Best of luck with it, be sure to let us know what happens...

Mark

Buchanan Senior Member • Posts: 1,124

The supervisor's denial of the problem is pretty weak. My 60D has been to that repair facility twice for the grip problem. The first time they only replaced the shutter button side and then months later it had to go back and have the logo side done when it also swelled up and pulled loose.

Buchanan's gear list:Buchanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 6D +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads