Best RX100 feature: don't have to buy 10 "must buy" m4/3 lenses

Started Jul 20, 2012 | Discussions
Myari Regular Member • Posts: 441
Re: Do you have one? Plastic body.

Tim in upstate NY wrote:

Just Having Fun wrote:

The body is plastic. There is a metal frame underneath.
The lens is also clearly plastic.

My bet is because of the weight (its heavy), if you drop it, the body would crack.

. . . So who should I believe knows what they're talking about, Richard Butler and Barnaby Britton here at DPR or . . . . you?

LOL

Also, note the troll posted the photo of his current cameras but RX100 was not one of them. In any case, regardless, what he posted about "plastic body" was a lie, as their are various reviews, all of which is say the body is metal.

zxaar Veteran Member • Posts: 4,246
Re: Hey, a NEX owner! I am right though.

Just Having Fun wrote:

NorthwestF wrote:

Just Having Fun wrote:

Just received my RX100. IQ is very, very good for a P&S, but build quality is...cheap.

A PM1 kit (with 40-150) would be a better choice for most,cost less, have a longer reach, and you would get better results. The RX100 would do better video, but only if you stick with kit lenses.

If you want a plastic camera that slips in a pocket with the best P&S IQ, go for the RX100.

Stop lying, troll. You are one of the worst troll on Sony forum.

Typical NEX owner repsonse. Name-calling, etc. LOL. Completely clueless that I have owned and recommended Alphas and SLTs for a long while.

I don't own NEX, and I agree with him 150% so it is not a typical nex owners response.

BTW how is your 350$ point and shoot blurr inducing lens

-- hide signature --

::> Knowledge is mother of efficiency.

Just Having Fun Veteran Member • Posts: 3,869
Myari must feel pretty stupid.

The body shell is 100% plastic.

Myari wrote:

Also, note the troll posted the photo of his current cameras but RX100 was not one of them. In any case, regardless, what he posted about "plastic body" was a lie,

Tim = Clueless (as usual)

Tim has never touched or seen this camera in person.
The camera on the left has a solid metal body, the one on the right does not.

Re: Hey, a NEX owner! I am right though.

zxaar wrote:

I don't own NEX, and I agree with him 150% so it is not a typical nex owners response.

LOL, yest it is.

BTW how is your 350$ point and shoot blurr inducing lens

Huh? My blurr inducing lenses cost more than $350.

Why no grip?

The HX series also has a nice rubber grip while the RX is very slippery (the "grip" is the one part that is metal). I can see why there are already 3rd party grips.

amtberg Veteran Member • Posts: 6,108
Re: Best RX100: May NOT be a good idea...

BS. Every review I've read of the camera states that the body is metal and that it feels very solid overall. There are valid criticisms of the camera, but this isn't one of them.

Just Having Fun wrote:

Just received my RX100. IQ is very, very good for a P&S, but build quality is...cheap.

A PM1 kit (with 40-150) would be a better choice for most,cost less, have a longer reach, and you would get better results. The RX100 would do better video, but only if you stick with kit lenses.

If you want a plastic camera that slips in a pocket with the best P&S IQ, go for the RX100.

Tim in upstate NY
Tim in upstate NY Veteran Member • Posts: 7,120
Re: Tim = Clueless (as usual)

Happy & Out to Lunch wrote:

. . . Imaging-Resource, Luminous Landscape, B&H, Amazon, The Sony Store and DPR all say that the RX100 has an aluminum body.

. . . It must be embarrassing to be you.

Tim in upstate NY's gear list:Tim in upstate NY's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +3 more
The Jacal
The Jacal Senior Member • Posts: 1,273

Tim in upstate NY wrote:

. . . Imaging-Resource, Luminous Landscape, B&H, Amazon, The Sony Store and DPR all say that the RX100 has an aluminum body.

Comrade Tim, back to your normal self; telling people what they must think to comply with held beliefs.
Don't embarrass yourself.

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7467981@N05/

Tell the truth and shame the Devil, even though he doesn't really exist.

The Jacal's gear list:The Jacal's gear list
Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon D80 Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus PEN E-P2 +17 more
VariableScope
VariableScope Contributing Member • Posts: 528

Tim in upstate NY wrote:

It probably is aluminum but it might be shitty aluminum that feels plasticky. Not every company can work it like Apple does. Having not tried one myself, I cannot say whether the body feels solid or not.

VariableScope's gear list:VariableScope's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +5 more
tedolf
tedolf Forum Pro • Posts: 26,561
Maybe it is a new...

VariableScope wrote:

Tim in upstate NY wrote:

It probably is aluminum but it might be shitty aluminum that feels plasticky. Not every company can work it like Apple does. Having not tried one myself, I cannot say whether the body feels solid or not.

super high quality aluminum alloy made to feel just like plastic?

Tedolph

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +8 more
REShultz Senior Member • Posts: 1,108

Steve Huff said the body feels very solid today in his preview.

I think this is a game changer camera in the compact world. Not sure what it means for M43 nor do I care much. Different kind of camera IMO.

Tim F 101 Senior Member • Posts: 1,020
quiet, you

Photo Perzon is one and a half feet out the door and you try to pull him back in? For the love of god man.

Anyway build quality is not the point. The guy is on a personal quest to order every smallish, expensive camera made in his lifetime and hold on to it for a few weeks before returning it. Just wish him luck on his travels.

photo perzon
OP photo perzon Veteran Member • Posts: 4,653

It feels more solid than the e-p3. More solid than any m4/3. Feels like the 12mm or the 45mm Olympus lenses.

REShultz wrote:

Steve Huff said the body feels very solid today in his preview.

I think this is a game changer camera in the compact world. Not sure what it means for M43 nor do I care much. Different kind of camera IMO.

photo perzon's gear list:photo perzon's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Fujifilm X70 Fujifilm X100F Apple iPhone X
Hans Gruber Contributing Member • Posts: 920
Re: Best RX100 feature: don't have to buy 10 "must buy" m4/3 lenses

FZ200 isn't in stores yet. The FZ150 is a fine camera, if you know how to use it.

AbrasiveReducer New Member • Posts: 14
Re: Best RX100: May NOT be a good idea...

I don't want to disagree with expert reviews but since I own the RX100 I thought I'd mention the bottom is entirely plastic except for the tripod socket and the lens barrel is either plastic or the thinnest metal I have ever encountered. I'm not certain, but perhaps 99.999% sure the lens barrel is plastic as well. Of course, none of this has to do with the image quality but statements that the body is all-metal are false.

AbrasiveReducer's gear list:AbrasiveReducer's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS M3
alfredo_tomato
alfredo_tomato Veteran Member • Posts: 4,180
Re: Save more

Ha! This one belongs in the snark hall of fame.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alfredo_tomato/

alfredo_tomato's gear list:alfredo_tomato's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1s Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +11 more
tedolf
tedolf Forum Pro • Posts: 26,561

alfredo_tomato wrote:

Ha! This one belongs in the snark hall of fame.
--

gotta admit, that one was pretty good.

Tedolph

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +8 more
alfredo_tomato
alfredo_tomato Veteran Member • Posts: 4,180

We must support the arts, no matter the discipline.
--

alfredo_tomato's gear list:alfredo_tomato's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1s Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +11 more
ManuH
ManuH Veteran Member • Posts: 3,898
Re: Best RX100 feature: don't have to buy 10 "must buy" m4/3 lenses

photo perzon wrote:

I had $ 4000 in m4/3 and replaced it with a $ 645 RX100. The results? Considering nobody is paying me to take pictures? $ 3355 are the results!

You're deluding yourself if you think one minute it's equivalent. I have the GH2 and the RX100. The Sony can replace the GH2 with kit lens but certainly not mounted with the 25mm f/1.4 or any FL or aperture not covered by the compact camera. Horses for courses as usual. Moreover the Sony is a bit of a lure concerning the aperture. Yes it's f/1.8 at 28mm but it slow down very quickly to f/2.8 at 35mm! I consider it as a dual lens, a 28mm f/1.8 prime coupled with a slow zoom. But that's OK considering the main advantage of being really pocketable. But otherwise the RX100 can barely replace a G3 with kit lens IMHO.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads