S100 Repair Experience

Started Jul 19, 2012 | Discussions
CameraCarl Veteran Member • Posts: 6,941
S100 Repair Experience

Has anyone sent in an S100 which isn't yet broken for the lens error fix? If so what did Canon do? Did they send it back to you unrepaired? Or did they fix it?

For those persons who sent in a broken camera for the lens error fix: did you get your old camera back or did they send you a different one? If a different one: was it new or a refurbished camera?

Thanks. I have a camera that is in the affected range but has not broken (yet). I'm leaving in a couple of months for a trip to Russia and don't want my camera to break when I need it most, so I'm trying to figure out what to do.

DaaamnGina Junior Member • Posts: 29
Re: S100 Repair Experience

I sent in a broken camera. They sent me the same camera back.

DaaamnGina's gear list:DaaamnGina's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Hubert2718
Hubert2718 New Member • Posts: 3

I recently sent my S100 to a repair facility and they sent it (the same!) back saying that they couldn't find a defect. Calling Canon on the subject they answered that the text of their Product Advisories web page was not all too clear about when to send in your S100. Apparently I'll have to wait till it breaks down
--
Regards, Hubert

Hubert2718's gear list:Hubert2718's gear list
Sony RX100 IV
OP CameraCarl Veteran Member • Posts: 6,941

I'm wondering if anyone else tried sending in a camera that has not broken yet and what Canon did.

Phil Bush New Member • Posts: 3

I sent my S100 to Canon via Best Buy and Canon told Best Buy it was unrepairable and told them to give me a brand new one for free. I picked it off the shelf myself and got a new battery, software, strap, etc that come in the box.

I sent it in because I got the lens error after about 2000 pics and about 8 months. The serial number was in the range that was vulnerable (29xxx) and the new one was above the range (44xxx).

(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 14,097
Huh?

Hubert2718 wrote:

I recently sent my S100 to a repair facility and they sent it (the same!) back saying that they couldn't find a defect.

Doesn't that mean the looked at it?

Calling Canon on the subject they answered that the text of their Product Advisories web page was not all too clear about when to send in your S100. Apparently I'll have to wait till it breaks down

I don't understand this. When I called Canon Tech support they said anyone can send in a camera at any time and they would check it. Why the different and confusing answers from Canon. Maybe the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing?

CameraCarl wrote:

I have a camera that is in the affected range but has not broken (yet). I'm leaving in a couple of months for a trip to Russia and don't want my camera to break when I need it most, so I'm trying to figure out what to do.

I'd call Canon and tell them you want your camera checked. I mean, insist that it's really and thoroughly checked!

I was told by Canon tech support they would check a camera if sent to them. I think they have an obligation to look at a S100 that's in the affected range.

My s100 got the lens issue without warning after 7 months of use. Fortunately, I just wanted to take a casual snapshot. I'd really be ticked off if it broke when I wanted to photograph a once in a lifetime event.

My S100 arrived at the Canon facility today and I expect to get it back within two weeks.

wildplaces
wildplaces Senior Member • Posts: 1,117

Gail,

I'm tempted to either report this to the state Dept of Consumer affairs or to ask my Camera Store (I bought it at a local retailer) to exchange mine. I'm within the serial numbers with the known defect. Haven't decided how to handle it yet. Would be interested to know if anyone else has tried either of these approaches to foil Canon's laissez faire attitude.

I'm going to start putting the wheel back on auto mode whenever I carry the camera around casually. I missed a shot of a good-sized bear trying to break into a bird feeder on my driveway today (first bear sighting on our road in 21 years I've lived here!) One of my employees tried a shot on his iPhone, but the bear had retreated into the dark woods and the shot was more than grainy.
--
wildplaces

http://www.pbase.com/wildplaces/galleries & http://www.wildplaces.me

wildplaces wrote:

Gail,

I'm tempted to either report this to the state Dept of Consumer affairs

My guess is that they will do nothing since Canon issued an official service advisory but it may be worth a try. Lots of s100 owners would support this.

or to ask my Camera Store (I bought it at a local retailer) to exchange mine.

It won't hurt to try but my guess is that, unless you have an extended warranty with them, they'll tell you it's in Canon's hands.

Polyglot92 Senior Member • Posts: 1,469
advisory

The advisory for residents of the United States and Puerto Rico seems quite clear:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/products/professional_cameras/pro_ps_digital_cameras/powershot_s100?pageKeyCode=prdAdvDetail&docId=0901e024805ab992

"Some PowerShot S100 units (with the serial numbers listed below) may encounter a lens error due to a part becoming disconnected inside the lens. In particular, this lens error may occur when the camera is used in certain environmental conditions such as high temperature and/or humidity."

"Affected Product
Some PowerShot S100 Digital Cameras within the following serial number range:"

But interpretaton may vary. Mine is that they only repair "affected" units for free, "affected" meaning those displaying the lens error ("Some PowerShot S100"). The wording of the releases by Canon France and Germany are equivalent.

They may not be able to detect or predict any problem before it occurs, and the cost of checking anyway may seem disproportionate to Canon. Perhaps owners of S100s within the early serial numbers could be reassured if the probability of having the problem, which must be low, was known.

As unpleasant as it is if you are affected, you may want to look at is this way: lens error or not, problems can happen at any time to any camera, and may it just be that it is dropped or stolen. So for important situations it is always prudent to have a backup unless a backup can be found easily.

-- hide signature --

D5000 - Nikkor AF-S DX 18-105mm F/3.5-5.6G ED VR - Nikkor AF-S 50mm f/1.4 G - Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm VR - Canon PowerShot S95 - Canon PowerShot S3

Bruce Chastain xx Forum Member • Posts: 64
Re: Huh?

I've not read or heard anything about Canon promising to proactively replace the now known defective part before it actually fails. Offering to "check" the camera may only mean they'll power it up to see if it gets a lens error or not.

My guess is that the defective part can't be easily replaced in the field without replacing the entire (expensive) lens assembly, so it's no wonder Canon won't promise to replace a part that hasn't yet failed.

Bruce.

wildplaces
Re: advisory

Seems like the definition of a latent defect...which is a defect in any other sense of the term. I'll bet some attorney would love to bring a class action, but only the lawyers make out well in those cases, so I have no interest in it. I am concerned that a known defect could render my camera unusable at any point in time.
--
wildplaces

wildplaces
Re: Huh?

Exactly, so that leaves it to the consumers/users to put pressure on Canon to pay for their mistake and make it right.
--
wildplaces

stlsportscom Regular Member • Posts: 201

gail wrote:

CameraCarl wrote:

I have a camera that is in the affected range but has not broken (yet). I'm leaving in a couple of months for a trip to Russia and don't want my camera to break when I need it most, so I'm trying to figure out what to do.

I'd call Canon and tell them you want your camera checked. I mean, insist that it's really and thoroughly checked!

I was told by Canon tech support they would check a camera if sent to them. I think they have an obligation to look at a S100 that's in the affected range.

My s100 got the lens issue without warning after 7 months of use. Fortunately, I just wanted to take a casual snapshot. I'd really be ticked off if it broke when I wanted to photograph a once in a lifetime event.

My S100 arrived at the Canon facility today and I expect to get it back within two weeks.

My Gosh, Gail, I have read and followed and learned a lot about Canon compacts from you and Paul Rivers...that you have had this problem with the S100...somehow speaks volumes.

I wonder if Canon Inc. knows how helpful you've been to their efforts...

I'm still on my S95 after having exchanged an S90 that had dead and bright pixels in the sensor...I really really like my S95...have since bought some ELPH 300s for my family. Nice little box.

Good luck with your S100 repair.

stlsportscom's gear list:stlsportscom's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon ELPH 300 HS Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 350D Tamron SP AF 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) +6 more

Any new experiences to report?

4 working days

gail wrote:

I got it back in four working days.

Any updates?

It has been a couple of weeks since the last reply and I was wondering how successful the repair has been for everyone? I know Gail has had problems and I feel sorry for you. Anyone else in the same situation? Thanks.....

Re: Any updates?

As you may know, my S100 broke a second time, less than two weeks after receiving it back from Canon for the lens problem. The LCD went. I've written about it in my blog:

http://www.digicamhelp.com/camera-logs/canon-s100/s100-breaks-a-second-time/

I'm not a very happy camper!
--
My S100 Galleries ~ http://www.pbase.com/gailb/canon_s100
My Canon S100 Blog: http://www.digicamhelp.com/topics/camera-logs/canon-s100/

Really: so few problems to report?

Interesting... considering the amount of angst on this forum about the lens problem, only one or two people have added comments to this thread about their experience. Maybe it isn't so widespread after all...?

Kirwin
Kirwin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,256
Re: Really: so few problems to report?

CameraCarl wrote:

Interesting... considering the amount of angst on this forum about the lens problem, only one or two people have added comments to this thread about their experience. Maybe it isn't so widespread after all...?

What is there left to talk about after being sold a not so premium camera?

Most have moved on...

Sold my lemon s100, and bought a new camera without the Canon 'mark'.

-- hide signature --
 Kirwin's gear list:Kirwin's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads