New Canon 5d mk3 horizontal banding at iso200 - faulty body?

Started Jul 18, 2012 | Discussions
bigbadlemon Regular Member • Posts: 271
New Canon 5d mk3 horizontal banding at iso200 - faulty body?

In need of advice please:

Just purchased from LCE (UK high-street store on the Strand, London) a brand new 5dmk3 and it's showing serious vertical banding at iso200 - far worse than my original 5d'classic' at iso1600.

i'll post some examples - i'll find some suitable ones in an hour or so, but does anyone have any advice as to if this is 'common' or not? and if not, what's the advised 'test' to verify in controlled conditions before I attempt to return to the store?

[a point of note, all photos with 'banding' were shot with the ISO safety feature on, guaranteed that the shutter speed stayed at a min of 1/250's but because shot with a fast lens , canon 50mm f/1.4, and in a well lit room it never went above iso200 - could this be the culprit? Similar to those noisy 'fake' iso's of 250, 500 , 640 etc etc?]

Appreciated

Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OP bigbadlemon Regular Member • Posts: 271
Correction !

Sorry, long day

To clarify, it's HORIZONTAL banding that's the issue - nothing vertical about it!

MayaTlab0
MayaTlab0 Senior Member • Posts: 2,462
Re: Correction !

You'll have to post pictures to show us in detail what you relate. A priory horizontal banding in landscape orientation shouldn't be present in a significant way, or at least much less than vertical banding.

Re: New Canon 5d mk3 horizontal banding at iso200 - faulty body?

Here we are, one from the 5d classic at ISO 800/1600 ( I think) - the other 5d mk3 at ISO200. Look at the hair and shadows - clear banding all way, I think you'll agree.

The first (mk3) looks far worse. thoughts? solutions?

risbac Regular Member • Posts: 365

Seems really bad indeed... Unless you had to push the exposure by 4 stops, I think you can go back to LCE to have it exchange or repaired !

Maybe try to open the photos on at least another software first...
--
Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/88943939@N00/

Horshack Veteran Member • Posts: 6,280
Apples vs Oranges

The banding on all the 5D's (5D/5DM2/5DM3) is most visible at base ISOs, hardly visible at the middle ISOs, and becomes visible again at High ISOs on the 5D/5DM2 but not on the 5DM3 (no High ISO banding). You're comparing a low-ISO 5DM3 image to a middle ISO 5D classic image.

Schwany
Schwany Forum Pro • Posts: 10,129
Canon 5d mk3 horizontal banding at iso200

Increase the ISO to 1600? That might get you parity between the two cameras.

Schwany's gear list:Schwany's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L USM +14 more
Re: Apples vs Oranges

I apprecaite your input, but I'm not sure that 1600iso for a 5d Classic is a mid-range iso - it's top of the range of the native, non-extended range of this 2005 model camera.

the 5d mk3 however has 7 years on this body, and yet, even when I post a similar iso100 image below for a more 'similar comparison' it's still much much worse.

Any thoughts?

rwbaron Forum Pro • Posts: 13,336

What software did you use to convert the RAW files and how much did you lift shadows in post?

Bob

bigbadlemon wrote:

Here we are, one from the 5d classic at ISO 800/1600 ( I think) - the other 5d mk3 at ISO200. Look at the hair and shadows - clear banding all way, I think you'll agree.

-- hide signature --
 rwbaron's gear list:rwbaron's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +8 more
schmegg Veteran Member • Posts: 5,768

bigbadlemon wrote:

Any thoughts?

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1032&message=42057189&changemode=1

Apart from that ...

I see no horizontal banding - only vertical banding. And IMHO that is not normal. I'd return the body and try a different one. (unless you've completely stuffed-up the exposure and lifted the image by many stops - in that case, don't return it because it'll be sent back to you with a 'no fault found' notice!)

amobi
amobi Veteran Member • Posts: 3,116

In other words it is normal to see banding in 5DIII low iso shots and OP should stop complaining or comparing apples and oranges.

Horshack wrote:

The banding on all the 5D's (5D/5DM2/5DM3) is most visible at base ISOs, hardly visible at the middle ISOs, and becomes visible again at High ISOs on the 5D/5DM2 but not on the 5DM3 (no High ISO banding). You're comparing a low-ISO 5DM3 image to a middle ISO 5D classic image.

schmegg Veteran Member • Posts: 5,768

amobi wrote:

In other words it is normal to see banding in 5DIII low iso shots and OP should stop complaining or comparing apples and oranges.

Don't think that is what Horshack is saying. And if he is then he'd be wrong.

Silly amobi - just silly.

Here we are, Canon 5d classic iso 100 - NO banding!

Link to out of camera RAW, via LR4, 12mb's

Here's a link to a full size jpg:

no PP at all. Nothing.

bronxbombers Forum Pro • Posts: 18,226
most 5d3 are free of horiz low iso banding (but lots of vertical)

bigbadlemon wrote:

Sorry, long day

To clarify, it's HORIZONTAL banding that's the issue - nothing vertical about it!

well most 5D3 files i've looked at, including my own, have a fair amount of nasty vertical banding at low ISO but basically zero horizontal and most have hardly any of either type at high iso (although I have seen one copy so far that has a fair amount of horizontal banding at high iso, but that seemed to be an exception, interestingly that copy had a lot less vertical banding than mine at low iso)

that IS vertical banding

not horizontal (you are too used to shooting portraits and thinking side is top ) your first post before the 'correction' was correct

and yeah the 5D2/5D3 are sadly known for lots of vertical banding at low ISO

the 1Ds3 is pretty much free of that (although has some modest horizontal banding at low ISO)

the 1DX has some vertical banding but it's definitely a good deal less, it has some modest horizontal banding

5D2 has lots of vertical and horizontal

5D3 has lots of vertical

many 7D have tons of vertical banding

1D4 tends to have a fair amount of both but less than 5D2

40D and 1Ds3 tend to be most free at low ISO of banding and then the 1DX might be next best perhaps

D800 does vastly better, D4 does considerably better

did you push or pull anything in RAW on that file?

if you just kepy it SOOC then it does seem probably a bit on the bad side even for a 5D2/5D3 which are sadly notorious for that and another copy in exchange might do better, if you did pull sliders around a bit it is probably normal, sad to say

Re: Link to out of camera RAW, via LR4, 12mb's

bigbadlemon wrote:

Here's a link to a full size jpg:

no PP at all. Nothing.

image does not show up

belfox Regular Member • Posts: 259

bigbadlemon wrote:

Any thoughts? Yep.

Take 2 pictures of exactly the same scene (better not to waste money on a model), in a controlled environment (=studio) with the same lens and all other params identical.

Because you use 2 shots a couple of months apart, meaning you have no way of certifying you (or the 5DIII) weren't underexposing.

The above put aside, I have had the faint suspicion from the test pictures posted all over internet that the 5DIII slightly underexposes (by .5 to .66 of a stop) if you compare it to the 5DII; this would potentially explain the banding...

belfox's gear list:belfox's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 300D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +7 more
Seaclam Senior Member • Posts: 1,703
Regardless of either Verticle or Horizontal banding

How about Canon making it a priority to get it fixed. Seriously, how many generations and years have to go by until it's fixed? All the talk about improving dynamic range and increaseing high ISO. How about a fix for the banding first.

-- hide signature --

Photography, like many other hobbies, persuits and art forms, is first and foremost about having fun and exploring.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads