7D w/ 100-400, Newest birds

Started Jul 17, 2012 | Discussions
BirdPhotog Regular Member • Posts: 367
7D w/ 100-400, Newest birds

Here's some bird photographs, all from Massachusetts from the last past weeks. All made using a Canon EOS 7D with a Canon EF 100-400 mm L, and processed very minimally. Feel free to ask any questions on equipment, settings or technique.

Saltmarsh Sparrow

and here's a crop of the image at 2048 x 1316 (orig size is 5184 x 3330)

Grasshopper Sparrow

Black-crowned Night Heron

Marsh Wren

Least Tern

Least Tern Chick

Common Loon

Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Kobus66 Contributing Member • Posts: 922
Re: 7D w/ 100-400, Newest birds

Thanks so much. Very inspirational.

Love the small birds. And how challenging they are.

-- hide signature --

Kobus

SeaScout851 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,342

Excellent series.

Andy
--

Kevin G. Veteran Member • Posts: 3,208

Beautiful series, in excellent light! Did you crop the shots of the least terns much?
Congrats!
Kevin
--
pBase...
http://www.pbase.com/keving54

brudy Senior Member • Posts: 1,510

That is definitely the leastest of the terns. Great shots.

brudy's gear list:brudy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha a7R Fujifilm X-T10
birdbrain
birdbrain Veteran Member • Posts: 3,525

Brilliant as always!

-- hide signature --

Phil

I wondered why the ball kept getting bigger, then it hit me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philthebirdbrain/

birdbrain's gear list:birdbrain's gear list
Sony RX10 II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM +13 more
Box Brownie Senior Member • Posts: 2,958

Cracking set of birds you have in your locale and great imagery with that combo

You say minimal PP but are there RAWs, if so what editing did you do? Likewise if JPEGs what Picture Style and in camera settings and then what PP'ing did you do???

TIA for the info

PS It would be great as well if you could throw some EXIF data in for a couple of them?
--
Living life a slice at a time

Private Custard
Private Custard Senior Member • Posts: 1,802
I think.....

.....you just helped me make up my mind!

I'm getting increasingly p----d off as an Olympus user. This is the combo I'm looking at buying early next year.

These shots illustrate perfectly what I expect from a DSLR. Sharp, low noise, they look effortless and unforced.

Stunning

Private Custard's gear list:Private Custard's gear list
Canon EOS 80D
larrymull
larrymull Regular Member • Posts: 225
Re: I think.....

I did exactly the same as you and I haven't looked back. I now compare photos what I was getting with the olympus and now the 7d and basically no comparison.

larrymull's gear list:larrymull's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +2 more
cumuluskeith Forum Member • Posts: 53

Great bird photos! Would be much appreciated if you could either include EXIF data with your uploaded photos or at least add camera settings in your text when posting
(I also use 7D and 100-400)

Thank you, Keith

Dmadson Regular Member • Posts: 198

Nice! Too bad that combo isn't sharp...(WINK).

I continue to be amazed at how precise the short DOF can appear at distance. I've got a 10-year old 100-400, and a new 7D, and you're pushing me into a trip to a local shore-bird sanctuary.

Regards!
Don

Woodenfish Regular Member • Posts: 290

Same here. I traded my E30, E510 and a bunch of lenses for this same combination. I amazed at the shots I am getting.
--
Keith

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22826821@N02/

Woodenfish's gear list:Woodenfish's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
Private Custard

Woodenfish wrote:

Same here. I traded my E30, E510 and a bunch of lenses for this same combination. I amazed at the shots I am getting.

larrymull wrote:

I did exactly the same as you and I haven't looked back. I now compare photos what I was getting with the olympus and now the 7d and basically no comparison.

Cheers guys, that's good to hear

I have a trip to NZ this Christmas coming to pay for first, and then I'll see how prices are in the sales

There's no way I'm lugging my 50-500 around the world again, not when I'm unhappy with it! I'll survive on the E3, E510, 70-300, and a couple of Sigma lenses........I think that's enough!

Canon EOS 80D
Dr. Leonard Senior Member • Posts: 1,333

Where do you find these birds?I have the same combination and around here (southeast Michigan) there are many nature areas but not many birds as far as I can see. Maybe I can't see far enough. And how do you get so close without scaring them off? Even at 400 I would have to get fairly close to fill the frame as well as you have.
--
Descartes to his wife - "You annoy me, therefore I exist."

Private Custard

Dr. Leonard wrote:

And how do you get so close without scaring them off? Even at 400 I would have to get fairly close to fill the frame as well as you have.

Patience is key. If you walk towards them, they'll, for the most part, not be too impressed!

I waited for 10 hours in a hide for a kingfisher to get comfortable with me a while back. Eventually he sat on a branch about ten feet away, hunted a bit and had a preen!

Canon EOS 80D
sailorboy2 Regular Member • Posts: 253

Your loon pic's are just over the top,I mean very very nice. Being in Florida never see them in their breeding colors.
Ken
--
http://www.pbase.com/sailorboy

OP BirdPhotog Regular Member • Posts: 367
What he said

See comments below :-).

All nature areas have birds, some more than others, but all have birds to photograph.

Dr. Leonard wrote:

Where do you find these birds?I have the same combination and around here (southeast Michigan) there are many nature areas but not many birds as far as I can see. Maybe I can't see far enough. And how do you get so close without scaring them off? Even at 400 I would have to get fairly close to fill the frame as well as you have.
--
Descartes to his wife - "You annoy me, therefore I exist."

thomas2279f
thomas2279f Senior Member • Posts: 2,782

Agree+++++++1

thomas2279f's gear list:thomas2279f's gear list
Nikon D800 Apple iPad WiFi +1 more
Calliope
Calliope Senior Member • Posts: 1,536

Patience is key. If you walk towards them, they'll, for the most part, not be too impressed!

I waited for 10 hours in a hide for a kingfisher to get comfortable with me a while back. Eventually he sat on a branch about ten feet away, hunted a bit and had a preen!

I was going to ask if I could be your apprentice until I read this. I could never sit still that long! Your photos are truly amazing and inspiring.

Calliope's gear list:Calliope's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L USM +5 more
ppage
ppage Senior Member • Posts: 1,838

Great photos. You never cease to amaze and inspire. Thanks for posting these. Keep 'em coming.

Peter

ppage's gear list:ppage's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads