Just thought I'd show......HS20 (2 images)

Started Jul 17, 2012 | Discussions
Baseman Regular Member • Posts: 444
Just thought I'd show......HS20 (2 images)

an example of the difference between 8MP vs 16MP.

Settings were as follows:

Aperture Priority Mode F5.6
ISO 100
WB: Sunny
Full Zoom 126mm (720mm equivalent) Hand Held
IS: Shoot Only
Exposure Correction: -0.33
Metering: Spot
Sharpness: Normal
Noise Reduction: Low
Tone: Std
Colour: Std
Film Mode: PROVIA

I forgot I had Dynamic Range set to Auto, which of course doesn't function beyond 100% in 16MP mode. The 8MP image had DR set to Auto and it selected 200%.

The only other difference, other than framing, was shutter speed. 8MP image had 1/120, 16MP image had 1/150

Both images are SOOC. No PP has been applied!

Don't forget to click on Original to do a proper comparison

8MP Image:

16MP Image:

Baseman's gear list:Baseman's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR
Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
NOEL 100 Contributing Member • Posts: 685
Re: Just thought I'd show......HS20 (2 images)

Comes up pretty good.

Have to do a big zoom in to actually see the difference and then it's hard to compare because the 16mp appears to be taken slightly closure.

In this instance one would have to ask what one is getting extra out of a 5mp jpg, certainly not double the resolution.

Nice little critter but the teeth....
--
Noel 100

NOEL 100's gear list:NOEL 100's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS30EXR Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
Trevor G Veteran Member • Posts: 6,577

Baseman wrote:

The main thing is that the 8MP one is slightly less over-exposed/clipped, even though it was exposed at 1/125 instead of 1/160, because DR200 was enabled.

Using DR400 is even better.

-- hide signature --

Cheers

Trevor G

Silkypix tutorials at: http://photo.computerwyse.com

jcmarfilph Veteran Member • Posts: 7,592

I'll make the comparison easier...

16MP seems softer here.

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Fujifilm X20 +1 more

Trevor G wrote:

Baseman wrote:

The main thing is that the 8MP one is slightly less over-exposed/clipped, even though it was exposed at 1/125 instead of 1/160, because DR200 was enabled.

Using DR400 is even better.

Where detail is critical, is DR400 better than DR200?

I have done some test and I find DR200 better in detail. I don't worry about the highlights and shadows coz I am shooting RAW.

-=[ Joms ]=-

Kim Letkeman
Kim Letkeman Forum Pro • Posts: 33,428
as always, L turns shadows to mush
 Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Nikon D7200 +17 more
Trevor G Veteran Member • Posts: 6,577

jcmarfilph wrote:

Where detail is critical, is DR400 better than DR200?

I have done some test and I find DR200 better in detail. I don't worry about the highlights and shadows coz I am shooting RAW.

DR200 and DR400 essentially only affect the level of the exposure, not the detail.

Since DR400 will pull back more potential over-exposure than DR200, it also has the possibility of providing more detail back from that over-exposure than with DR200.

Above comments relate to shooting at M size. L size is going to be slightly affected if using DR400, because you also have to have ISO400.

At M size you can shoot DR400 at ISO100, so potentially better quality.

-- hide signature --

Cheers

Trevor G

Silkypix tutorials at: http://photo.computerwyse.com

PerH Contributing Member • Posts: 795
Re: as always, L turns shadows to mush

Kim Letkeman wrote:

I do not understand why Fuji manufactures camera for the L-16MP when it gives worse results than the M-8MP???
PerH

PerH's gear list:PerH's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30 Panasonic FZ1000

PerH wrote:

Kim Letkeman wrote:

I do not understand why Fuji manufactures camera for the L-16MP when it gives worse results than the M-8MP???
PerH

Quick play on the 16MP

-=[ Joms ]=-

Gary N W Forum Pro • Posts: 10,857
Re: Just thought I'd show......HS20 (2 images)--Hi Doug

I really do enjoy these 2 images. I think they are really nicely captured and without any PP absolutely amazing. You never fail and please know I have always enjoyed your images and movies due to your straight forward creativity in everything you do photographically speaking.

Quite honestly I have missed seeing your work lately and hope you will come back and post more images as your time and inclination provide.

All the best to You and Yours Doug,

Gary N W SFO PS Be Well, too.

Baseman wrote:

Settings were as follows:

Aperture Priority Mode F5.6
ISO 100
WB: Sunny
Full Zoom 126mm (720mm equivalent) Hand Held
IS: Shoot Only
Exposure Correction: -0.33
Metering: Spot
Sharpness: Normal
Noise Reduction: Low
Tone: Std
Colour: Std
Film Mode: PROVIA

I forgot I had Dynamic Range set to Auto, which of course doesn't function beyond 100% in 16MP mode. The 8MP image had DR set to Auto and it selected 200%.

The only other difference, other than framing, was shutter speed. 8MP image had 1/120, 16MP image had 1/150

Both images are SOOC. No PP has been applied!

Don't forget to click on Original to do a proper comparison

8MP Image:

OP Baseman Regular Member • Posts: 444

NOEL 100 wrote:

Comes up pretty good.

Have to do a big zoom in to actually see the difference and then it's hard to compare because the 16mp appears to be taken slightly closure.

Actually no it wasn't taken any closer. Through my back window I saw that little guy and quietly opened the door and poked the lens through. Never moved from that spot.

In this instance one would have to ask what one is getting extra out of a 5mp jpg, certainly not double the resolution.

Keep in mind this was a full zoom hand held

Nice little critter but the teeth....

I think that was some left over breakfast LOL

Thanx for looking

Kim Letkeman wrote:

Not just the shadows.

Gotta love how Fuji sold this camera on not just the lens, but the MP count as well.

We know better now this 16MP camera is more similar to a SCCD so the MP count should have been marketed as 8.

I make reference to the SCCD from my old E550. That was marketed as a 6MP camera but had a setting to separate the pixels to make it a 12MP image. And in many ways it did a better job detail wise!

PerH wrote:

Kim Letkeman wrote:

PerH

It's all about tricking the customer into buying their product

Gary N W wrote:

I really do enjoy these 2 images. I think they are really nicely captured and without any PP absolutely amazing. You never fail and please know I have always enjoyed your images and movies due to your straight forward creativity in everything you do photographically speaking.

Quite honestly I have missed seeing your work lately and hope you will come back and post more images as your time and inclination provide.

All the best to You and Yours Doug,

Gary N W SFO PS Be Well, too.

Thanx Gary. Your comments are always welcome

Sometimes though I feel not worthy of your praise, but their still welcomed

And quite honestly I haven't had the camera out of the bag much lately. I'm not as happy with the results as I first hoped this camera would produce, IQ wise. And I don't have the time to process RAW files.

I find it takes great pictures of gritty things like sand or rust. But point it at a cloudless blue sky and the picture won't be a smooth blue. Somehow this camera puts that damn water colour effect into all it's images ruining the fine detail. That is what discourages and disappoints me

I have been watching the DSLR's and hoping one day I can afford one of the big boys. But that day seems to be a long time off......

Sadly I feel this will be my last Fujifilm. Despite the apparent success of the new lineup of Fuji cameras, I'm not going to take that step again.

Thanx again Gary. All my best to you and Betty

Kim Letkeman

PerH wrote:

Kim Letkeman wrote:

Actually, this makes perfect sense. The strength of the EXR technology is the ability to flexibly split the sensor to increase dynamic range while decreasing noise. Thus, M size will always give a better image from those two points of view.

Now ... why does the acuity also seem to suffer in L size? My theory is that they anti-aliasing filter has to be sized for double pixels, which means that it is two strong for the smaller pixels and blurs them more. I might be wrong, but it seems to fit. Perhaps an optics expert can confirm or deny ...

Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Nikon D7200 +17 more
Kim Letkeman

Gary N W wrote:

I really do enjoy these 2 images. I think they are really nicely captured and without any PP absolutely amazing.

They are excellent compositions and there is a lot of detail in the M image (which is badly blurred in the L image at 100%.)

But they are also severely over exposed, which EXR cameras were designed to prevent. So I cannot agree that they are nicely captured. There are well known settings that would have captured the squirrel without blowing highlights on the animal or the perch.

xoio
xoio Regular Member • Posts: 350
S100FS - Cute bunny - So you can compare the 'progress' of Fuji :-/

This pic was hand held low (so probably wobbling), thus would have been even sharper had i used a mini-tripod, RAW, & not compressed the Jpeg down to take up less DPR server space.

Just so you can compare the old with the new ...from an overall image quality & resolving capability.

xoio's gear list:xoio's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 +1 more
Kim Letkeman
um ... just a few uncontrolled variables there ...

The only way to "compare" something to something else is to shoot the same subject under the same lighting in their best respective modes, process them for maximum IQ, and then normalize them to the same output size.

Then you might have something to talk about.

xoio
xoio Regular Member • Posts: 350
Re: um ... just a few uncontrolled variables there ...

LOL, I know, I thought i'd just show the bunny

xoio's gear list:xoio's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 +1 more
Re: S100FS - Cute bunny - So you can compare the 'progress' of Fuji :-/

xoio wrote:

This pic was hand held low (so probably wobbling), thus would have been even sharper had i used a mini-tripod, RAW, & not compressed the Jpeg down to take up less DPR server space.

Just so you can compare the old with the new ...from an overall image quality & resolving capability.

-=[ Joms ]=-

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads