Nikon D800E with 14-24

Started Jul 16, 2012 | Discussions
Dana Junior Member • Posts: 48
Nikon D800E with 14-24

Took out the D800E shooting for the first time today. Was shooting at 14mm, 5.6, 1/8 second, 14 bit, Live View, tripod, cable shutter release, Raw uncompressed, AFS single point. Photos came out totally lacking in sharpness. Anyone else having good results shooting with the 14-24 lens? I don't find the images looking any better than my D200 with 12-24 at 12mm. Very unhappy!

Nikon D200 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Wolfgang1756 Regular Member • Posts: 205
Re: Nikon D800E with 14-24

Was the center sharp and the corners soft?

HobbiesAreFun Senior Member • Posts: 2,457

Post a photo with exif so we can possibly try to help you... That's just a rant right now, and there's nothing anybody can do to help you with just that.
--
-Eric (17 years old with tons of things I can't wait to learn)
http://eswenson.smugmug.com

HobbiesAreFun's gear list:HobbiesAreFun's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC +3 more
Marianne Oelund Veteran Member • Posts: 7,780
Have you checked for AF front- or back-focus?

Dana wrote:

Took out the D800E shooting for the first time today. Was shooting at 14mm, 5.6, 1/8 second, 14 bit, Live View, tripod, cable shutter release, Raw uncompressed, AFS single point. Photos came out totally lacking in sharpness. Anyone else having good results shooting with the 14-24 lens? I don't find the images looking any better than my D200 with 12-24 at 12mm. Very unhappy!

Using the same camera/lens combination, mine needs a -15 AF fine tune, or it will backfocus severely. That adjustment is effective for all AF points on my camera.

As far as what's achievable when focus is accurate, the 14-24 near the wide end can produce higher center sharpness than my Zeiss 35 f/2.

By the way, there is no reason to use uncompressed RAW in photography; it's just a waste of space. Use lossless compressed, at least.

Lihkin
Lihkin Senior Member • Posts: 2,718
Here's one taken on Friday with the same combo

I find it super sharp and a wonderful combo.

Cheers,
--------
Nikhil
http://www.lihkin.net

Lihkin's gear list:Lihkin's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF +3 more
hypercore360 Senior Member • Posts: 1,260

Yes, fantastic results at all focal lengths.

Dana wrote:

hypercore360's gear list:hypercore360's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm F1.4G +2 more
GMack Senior Member • Posts: 2,928

You mentioned using Live View for focus and also a remote cord. I don't know if your remote cable does an auto-focus on half-press or not, that tidbit might be in the manual's directions with the remote. If it does, there is the possibility the lens is spinning off from your Live View focus to something else. You can watch the lens distance ring and see if it spins any after your Live View setup. I would just turn the Auto Focus off on the camera and/or lens though.

I was just glancing over my FoCal test of that lens at 14mm and it is sharper than my 105mm VR macro and right behind my 24-70mm which seems the sharpest that I have in my collection. However, Nikon did work on my 14-24mm right out of the box as it suffered severe backfocus where I couldn't tune in in with even a -20. Now it requires about a -3 to -5 depending on where it is zoomed at after being fixed on the D800E, but more on the D7000 body out to a +16 which is a far cry from the -20 or more on that one.

A couple of other things I do is to crank that Sharpness in your Picture Controls (say your in the "Neutral" setting) up to around 7 rather than the lower factory default of 2 (or 3?). Also, to increase the perception of sharpness I crank the Contrast up 2 from the middle and drop the Brightness -1 below middle. Makes the tonality a little more crisp, imho.

Still, check where your lens distance ring is set in Live View, and then again after you take the shot and see if it has moved.

Mack

Horshack Veteran Member • Posts: 8,357
See my thread here
Jaelkay Senior Member • Posts: 2,243
Re: Have you checked for AF front- or back-focus?

Marianne Oelund wrote:

By the way, there is no reason to use uncompressed RAW in photography; it's > just a waste of space.

Huh?

Use lossless compressed, at least.

You do have a solid and verifiable reason for making these statements? Yes?

OP Dana Junior Member • Posts: 48

I have the AF fine tune set to -13. I came up with this setting by using Focal with the lens at 24mm. Yet, unless I am wrong this adjustment only comes into play when using the viewfinder, not live view. The images are pretty much soft throughout. I will try to post 2 images for review that were taken using the viewfinder and with live view.

Excuse my naiivete, but how do I post the photo with the exif info?

Astrophotographer 10 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,592
Re: See my thread here

My 14-24 is extremely sharp.

I have not fine tuned it either.

Greg.

Astrophotographer 10's gear list:Astrophotographer 10's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 +1 more
(unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 502

Jaelkay wrote:

Marianne Oelund wrote:

By the way, there is no reason to use uncompressed RAW in photography; it's > just a waste of space.

Huh?

See this information on the Nikon UK site https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23015/kw/lossless%20compressed

On my D800 the 14-24mm required an AF-correction of -10.

-- hide signature --

Jur

verybiglebowski
verybiglebowski Veteran Member • Posts: 4,165

I made couple of shots with this combo, that makes me very satisfied.

Even the flaring that was described at photozone.de as a huge problem, seems to be well controlled.
Sharpness across the frame is very good and contrast even wide open - superb.
Here are few shots...

verybiglebowski's gear list:verybiglebowski's gear list
Sony a7R Sony a7R II Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Zeiss Otus 55mm F1.4 +3 more
Rick Knepper
Rick Knepper Forum Pro • Posts: 17,743
EXIF

If you do not know the answer, then it is likely the EXIF is still intact. Go to the folder where the converted jpegs are stored, and right click on one. Go to the property tab in the dialog box, scroll down. If you see shooting info, then the EXIF is there. ViewNX 2 is a quick and easy way to convert your files and you can use the gallery feature of your user ID of this website as a repository for tests and examples you wish to post here without junking up your normal online gallery.

My first impression was that you were looking at the NEFs in ViewNX 2 without applying any capture sharpening.

Dana wrote:

Excuse my naiivete, but how do I post the photo with the exif info?

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Pentax 645Z Canon EOS 5DS R Fujifilm GFX 50S Sony a7R IV Pentax smc D FA 645 55mm F2.8 AL (IF) SDM AW +11 more
Marianne Oelund Veteran Member • Posts: 7,780
Why do so many people not understand lossless compression?

Jaelkay wrote:

Marianne Oelund wrote:

Huh?

About as solid as it gets: I've developed compression/decompression code for use in flight control computers. Lossless means precisely that: There is no difference between the original uncompressed data, and the data that comes back from the decompression process. If there was any difference - even a single bit - Boeing 777 airplanes wouldn't be flying.

Billx08 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,373

Marianne Oelund wrote:

Dana wrote:

Using the same camera/lens combination, mine needs a -15 AF fine tune, or it will backfocus severely. That adjustment is effective for all AF points on my camera.

But it wouldn't matter using Live View, right? If the tripod isn't especially sturdy could the FP shutter move the D800E enough to produce a slight blur? It shouldn't take much movement with the D800's extremely fine pixel pitch. I think that this could be tested by using a Speedlight and the same shutter speed but reducing the ambient exposure by using some combination of a smaller aperture (f/11 or f/16), a weak ND filter and a lower ISO, assuming that an ISO several stops higher than ISO 100 was used with the original f/5.6 and 1/8th second exposure settings.

Edit: Could focus shift play a part if the LV AF was done using a wider f/2.8 aperture? IIRC, the D800 should be able to better deal with this than Nikon's older DSLRs.

Re: EXIF

So if I post an image to my gallery how will the exif info be visible to other people?

Dana

Billx08 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,373
Re: EXIF

Dana wrote:

So if I post an image to my gallery how will the exif info be visible to other people?

As long as you upload a photo that contains the EXIF info, gallery images will contain some of it. If you edit your DPR profile to allow people to also download the "original" files, then they will contain all of the EXIF data, minus any that might have been stripped out during editing on your computer. Uploading original photos that weren't edited in any way helps to eliminate any uncertainties.

Kaj E Veteran Member • Posts: 9,513
Example: 14-24 on D800

Here is an example of a reasonably sharp (not the best I have) shot with the 14-24 on a D800. Shot as RAW (14-bit compressed) converted to 16-bit tiff in Capture NX2 then saved as jpeg (quality 9) in CS5.

WARNING: Large file 6.3MB jpeg.

http://upload.pbase.com/image/144786411/original
--
Kind regards
Kaj
http://www.pbase.com/kaj_e
WSSA member #13

It's about time we started to take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.- Elliott Erwitt

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads