Francis Ford Coppola prefers GH2 for Video

Started Jul 16, 2012 | Discussions
SHood Veteran Member • Posts: 6,035
Francis Ford Coppola prefers GH2 for Video

http://www.eoshd.com/content/8528/zacuto-revenge-shootout-part-2-results-revealed-francis-ford-coppola-and-audience-majority-give-win-to-gh2

The results are in from Zacuto’s Revenge Of The Great Camera Shootout 2012. The majority of those at the cinema screenings – including Francis Ford Coppola preferred Colt Seaman’s lighting and the capturing of it by the Panasonic GH2.

This choice was above the stiffest possible competition including the Sony F65, Red Epic, Canon C300 and Arri Alexa.

SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II OM-1 Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus 17mm F1.2 Pro
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Crimguy Contributing Member • Posts: 506
Re: Francis Ford Coppola prefers GH2 for Video

That is really impressive, and almost unbelievable when you take price into consideration.

Crimguy's gear list:Crimguy's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +7 more
Just Having Fun Veteran Member • Posts: 3,869

Crimguy wrote:

That is really impressive, and almost unbelievable when you take price into consideration.

The videos showing the challenge are very enlightening. Pretty cool stuff.

Most of the reason the GH2 did so well was the DP and lighting guy, but still they proved what a GH2 can do!

rovingtim Veteran Member • Posts: 8,872
The point of this was ...

... that skill trumps technology.

MadsR Senior Member • Posts: 2,235
+1 but...

The point is also that the GH2 does not hinder professional video work. So if it weren't for industry snobbery a lot of money could be saved by buying Panasonic hybrid cameras instead of the current video equipment or even the "new kids of the block" Sony and Canon gear...

MadsR's gear list:MadsR's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
Everdog Veteran Member • Posts: 4,837
+0

rovingtim wrote:

Well, kind of...

In the case of the IPhone, it still was not good. You need a certain level of technology, and skill takes it from there.

I like how one guy said, why all the talk of the iPhone? The GH2 costs only a little more and some thought it did the best.

RickPick
RickPick Senior Member • Posts: 1,332

SHood wrote:

http://www.eoshd.com/content/8528/zacuto-revenge-shootout-part-2-results-revealed-francis-ford-coppola-and-audience-majority-give-win-to-gh2

The cameras in the test with their respective letter codes:

A - Sony F3
B - GH2
C - Red Epic
D - Apple iPhone
E - Canon C300
F - Arri Alexa
G - Canon 7D
H - Sony F65
I - Sony FS100

RickPick's gear list:RickPick's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
Clyde Coman Contributing Member • Posts: 817

The worst part of G2 video is the camera hunts a lot with moving subjests and I can not zoom in or out smooth enough.

Clyde Coman's gear list:Clyde Coman's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1
OP SHood Veteran Member • Posts: 6,035

Yes, that has been my problem trying video with my GH2 and 25mm. AF hunts too much with movement. I have been getting very good video from my HX9V due to the greater DOF and may just stick with that for video although I wish the audio was better. It'll be interesting to see how the RX100 does with AF hunting.

Clyde Coman wrote:

The worst part of G2 video is the camera hunts a lot with moving subjests and I can not zoom in or out smooth enough.

SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II OM-1 Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus 17mm F1.2 Pro
markintosh13
markintosh13 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,935

That's probably because your GH2 video setup doesn't look like this:

Between the lens, the mount, the focus pulling setup, the monitors, etc the rig probably costs twenty to forty times as much as the camera. Perhaps more

Not to mention the lighting, the post production colour house, the technical talent, etc.

It strikes me as amusing that the takeaway from this shootout is "Gear doesn't determine greatness anymore - it's you!"

That's easy to say when you're surrounded by a metric f-ton of good equipment, on set and post production talent to assist you.

mister_roboto Regular Member • Posts: 351

Cine lenses + GHx camera body = awesome, and cheaper than the other options.

Also, I did get a good chuckle that the 7D got as many votes as the iPhone

mister_roboto's gear list:mister_roboto's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Nikon Z6 Nikon Z fc Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +20 more
Promit Senior Member • Posts: 2,083

I love the GH2, but I think what's more notable is that he prefers Colt Seaman's lighting and coloring work. That guy should be super proud. As for the GH2, it goes to prove that it's all about your creative ability and possibly the ability to purchase a $100,000 lens and a movie set's worth of lighting > _

Promit's gear list:Promit's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +2 more
markintosh13

Oh come on - lets not exaggerate.

The Fujinon 18-85 PL lens isn't $100,000.

It's only about $88K

I hereby revise my estimate of how many times more the above rig costs compared to the camera sitting in it.

markintosh13

Oh - and it's obvious that the $88K lens can't be any good.

It doesn't even have autofocus for crying out loud!

(though that might fix the 'hunting' defect the camera seems to have as mentioned above)

Cipher Senior Member • Posts: 2,662
A better test...

show the videos again in a different order and see if everyone still picks the same...I'll be they don't.

Cipher Senior Member • Posts: 2,662

mister_roboto wrote:

Cine lenses + GHx camera body = awesome, and cheaper than the other options.

Also, I did get a good chuckle that the 7D got as many votes as the iPhone

Also the C300 got the same as the iPhone....

Rriley
Rriley Forum Pro • Posts: 21,846
Re: The point of this was ...

rovingtim wrote:

that isnt true
theres quite a bit of technology going on there

-- hide signature --

Riley

any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended
support 1022 Sunday Scapes'

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +1 more
Aleo Veuliah
MOD Aleo Veuliah Forum Pro • Posts: 14,768

Yes, I have participated on that challenge, the GH2 is really good, let's see the GH3 now

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Nikon Coolpix P7100 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic ZS100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads