E-M5 goes on a trip, then goes on another

Started Jul 13, 2012 | Discussions
efg40
efg40 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,193
E-M5 goes on a trip, then goes on another

Enjoyed using the E-M5 on a trip to Atlanta, my hometown, to see my dad.

Obligatory aquarium trip. Just wish I could be there alone!! Went the first month they opened and it is still just as crowded as it was then. All shot through glass of course.

Jellyfish...

Whale shark with friends....

Goliath Grouper is a ham!

He's trying to upstage the divers here...

Whale shark with divers shows size...

Shrine the kids made in room to Coca Cola, since you must worship Coke while in Atlanta...

The Varsity, where my dad used to go for cheap food while in college....

And my favorite from the trip, my 85 year old dad and his lady love. They both lost deeply loved spouses but found each other now and enjoy every day to the fullest. They travel constantly and will be taking a 3 month cruise early next year. His life puts mine to shame!!!

I am posting these because I am trying to work through being bummed. Now that the trip is over I've sent my E-M5 in for repair. The fast shutter severe underexposure problem and an issue with screen black out when using it tilted had to be dealt with. Hope it comes back soon!!!!

-- hide signature --

Elizabeth
efg40

efg40's gear list:efg40's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 II Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR
DLBlack Forum Pro • Posts: 13,351
Re: E-M5 goes on a trip, then goes on another

Great series of photos!! I really enjoy the story of your father. It sounds like he is enjoying his old age.

Hopefully you will get your camera back soon.

Dave
--

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II +38 more
Dorus Senior Member • Posts: 1,065

These are very nice, and that last one is a gem!

Dorus

Bob Tullis
Bob Tullis Forum Pro • Posts: 35,651

efg40 wrote:

I am posting these because I am trying to work through being bummed. Now that the trip is over I've sent my E-M5 in for repair. The fast shutter severe underexposure problem and an issue with screen black out when using it tilted had to be dealt with. Hope it comes back soon!!!!

Keep posting, Elizabeth. And strive to follow you Dad's lead. That will be easier once you get the camera back, and I hope it only FEELS like a long time (I'd be having DT's by day 2, my sympathies).

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com

"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T2
efg40
OP efg40 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,193

DLBlack wrote:

Great series of photos!! I really enjoy the story of your father. It sounds like he is enjoying his old age.

Hopefully you will get your camera back soon.

Dave
--

Thanks Dave. Yes, he really is enjoying a very happy life after a lot of hard years, so I am thrilled for him.

An I hope so too on the camera!

-- hide signature --

Elizabeth
efg40

efg40

Dorus wrote:

Dorus

Thanks Dorus. They are one handsome couple I do agree!

-- hide signature --

Elizabeth
efg40

efg40

Bob Tullis wrote:

efg40 wrote:

Keep posting, Elizabeth. And strive to follow you Dad's lead. That will be easier once you get the camera back, and I hope it only FEELS like a long time (I'd be having DT's by day 2, my sympathies).

Thanks so much Bob! Can't quite live his life right now, but he's a great example of how you just never know what wonderful things might lie ahead.

And I do dearly miss my cam, but thankfully I had bought the EPL1 with the 14mm as a back up so I can still play.

-- hide signature --

Elizabeth
efg40

Jsayles86 Junior Member • Posts: 49

The photo of your dad and friend was truly beautiful. They look really happy. I am so sorry about your camera. I just took my first photos with my EM-5. Not nearly as good as yours. This is my first non P&S camera, and I have a lot to learn! I hope your camera comes back soon.

Loryh Senior Member • Posts: 2,029
great photos and a wonderful love story

Your photos are first class. Your dad's story is so moving; I think it is a testament to those we love that we find love again; sometimes I think it is a heart already filled with love that finds new love too.

The camera just continues to shine. I'm taking mine from Northern California to Austin, Texas for this weekend. I hope to catch some stormy landscapes and BBQ...

I so look forward to packing a light camera and lenses instead of the E-5. I even have an adaptor to allow me to plug the charger straight into the wall so I don't have to pack a cord... very cool.

I hope you get your camera back soon.

warm regards,
Lory

Loryh's gear list:Loryh's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II
efg40

Jsayles86 wrote:

The photo of your dad and friend was truly beautiful. They look really happy. I am so sorry about your camera. I just took my first photos with my EM-5. Not nearly as good as yours. This is my first non P&S camera, and I have a lot to learn! I hope your camera comes back soon.

I thought it beautiful too but I'm so biased with fondness for my dad and being so happy for them both I wasn't sure how others would see it. Thanks a lot for your comment.

I've had the cam for a while, and I read a lot here to learn about it, but still I get a lot of bad ones. Thanks heavens for digital and delete! And the beauty of the E-M5 really lies in how editable the pics are. I'm using Lightroom and RAW files for the first time because it's truly amazing how much you can get out of the picture after it's taken. I know this cam is expensive, but it really is worth a little more for Lightroom to make your pics shine!

-- hide signature --

Elizabeth
efg40

efg40
Re: great photos and a wonderful love story

Loryh wrote:

Your photos are first class. Your dad's story is so moving; I think it is a testament to those we love that we find love again; sometimes I think it is a heart already filled with love that finds new love too.

The camera just continues to shine. I'm taking mine from Northern California to Austin, Texas for this weekend. I hope to catch some stormy landscapes and BBQ...

I so look forward to packing a light camera and lenses instead of the E-5. I even have an adaptor to allow me to plug the charger straight into the wall so I don't have to pack a cord... very cool.

I hope you get your camera back soon.

warm regards,
Lory

Thanks Lory. He is a loving man and she's a truly life-loving lady, so I think you're right!

I have the Apple adaptor to avoid the cord too. It was the only thing I really disliked about the cam!

Enjoy your trip and post those pics!!!!
--
Elizabeth
efg40

ARB1
ARB1 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,396

Dorus wrote:

+1

I live in Atlanta and love the Atlanta Aquarium, the Varsity, well not so much. Your mom and dad look the way I hope my wife and I look at 85, great looking couple.

-- hide signature --

Allen
I yam what I yam and that's all that I am. Popeye

ARB1's gear list:ARB1's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha a7R II Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +1 more
efg40

ARB1 wrote:

Dorus wrote:

+1

I live in Atlanta and love the Atlanta Aquarium, the Varsity, well not so much. Your mom and dad look the way I hope my wife and I look at 85, great looking couple.

We had to do The World of Coke and The Varsity, just because my kids had never been. But I really don't like the Varsity hotdogs, and World of Coke is ridiculous! (Except for the tasting room of course.) It was much better at the old location.

I hope to look and feel as good as my dad at that age too! Thanks Allen.

-- hide signature --

Elizabeth
efg40

Steven Wandy Veteran Member • Posts: 5,403
Love the story about your dad

That is how "old age" is supposed to be - enjoying yourselves and being healthy enough to do it. Unfortunately that is the exception to the rule.

Also glad that they found each other after losing their first loves - adds so much to their story.
Steve
BTW - the pictures are great also.

Steven Wandy's gear list:Steven Wandy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0 +6 more
efg40
Re: Love the story about your dad

Yes, they were both married more than 50 years, and it's very hard to move on.

His lady is an incredibly active and positive person who has lost both of her sons too. My dad took care of my mom in her last 10 years of horrible pain and incapacitation, and so it just makes me so very glad for both of them to be so very happy together. They actually sing together while riding in cars.

Thanks for your comments Steve.

-- hide signature --

Elizabeth
efg40

Susan G Veteran Member • Posts: 6,445

The photo of your Dad and his friend radiates joy!

You got some great shots all around -- but you didn't mention which lens you used. As I'm struggling about which lens to buy, I'm constantly curious to know what others have used to get nice sharp images, which yours are. Those jelly fish look much better in the aquarium than they do in the sea near where I live -- makes swimming not fun in July.

My mom is 96 so I know what you mean about having a good model for growing old! I'll be visiting her in a couple of weeks and hope to buy the EM5 while in the US.

Susan
--

http://www.pbase.com/susan_gordon

efg40

Susan G wrote:

The photo of your Dad and his friend radiates joy!

You got some great shots all around -- but you didn't mention which lens you used. As I'm struggling about which lens to buy, I'm constantly curious to know what others have used to get nice sharp images, which yours are. Those jelly fish look much better in the aquarium than they do in the sea near where I live -- makes swimming not fun in July.

My mom is 96 so I know what you mean about having a good model for growing old! I'll be visiting her in a couple of weeks and hope to buy the EM5 while in the US.

Susan
--

http://www.pbase.com/susan_gordon

Thanks Susan! I know what you mean about jellyfish. I had a horrible run-in with one years ago and the ocean hasn't been the same for me since. But seeing them behind glass is fascinating, and maybe there's a little "ha ha" in there for me.

I used the 14-42 kit lens. If you don't have any other lenses yet like I didn't, I think the kit lenses are a good place to start. I went with the 14-42 because size and price, and then flexibility were at the top of my priority list. I also use Lightroom and think that makes a big difference with pics from this camera!

-- hide signature --

Elizabeth
efg40

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads