UDMA7 support for 7D Firmware Update v2 ?

Started Jul 13, 2012 | Discussions
sohnjoo New Member • Posts: 6
UDMA7 support for 7D Firmware Update v2 ?

Does anyone know whether the v2 firmware update for the 7D has UDMA7 support?

Canon EOS 7D Nikon 1 V2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
PhilM oz Senior Member • Posts: 1,328
Re: UDMA7 support for 7D Firmware Update v2 ?

sohnjoo wrote:

Does anyone know whether the v2 firmware update for the 7D has UDMA7 support?

What extra support do you want?

AFAIK the camera has always worked with UDMA7 cards.
Firmware 1.2.5 improved the read and write speeds with these cards.

Phil.

Karl Gnter Wnsch Forum Pro • Posts: 11,408
No, that's impossible because of lack of necessary circuitry... (n/t)
-- hide signature --

regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

 Karl Gnter Wnsch's gear list:Karl Gnter Wnsch's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II
photojohne Contributing Member • Posts: 871
Re: No, that's impossible because of lack of necessary circuitry... (n/t)

I beg to differ - - UDMA7 is supported and the latest firmware supports it, there are several web blog locations that attest to this fact

And directly from Lexar web site on the memory cards

Top

Which host devices in the market today are UDMA 7 compatible?

The Canon EOS 1D-X is UDMA 7 enabled.

The Canon EOS 7D, EOS 50D, EOS 1D Mark IV and the EOS 5D Mark II can be UDMA 7 enabled though a firmware upgrade.

Karl Gnter Wnsch wrote:

-- hide signature --
 photojohne's gear list:photojohne's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM
KWEnz Regular Member • Posts: 448
Re: UDMA7 support for 7D Firmware Update v2 ?

According to Canon, firmware 1.2.5 allowed Canon 7D cameras to take advantage of UDMA7 read/write speeds. See: http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/blogs/2011/20110426_eos7d_firmware125.shtml

The relevant parts of the Canon article are:

"4. Improved the writing/reading speeds when using UDMA 7-compatible CF cards. "

and:

"Of particular interest to many pros is fix #4: CF cards using the new UDMA 7 standard started selling in March. With the introduction of Firmware Version 1.2.5, the EOS 7D is the first Canon SLR to feature improved data-transfer speeds with these new CF cards. With this update, the 7D's card-writing speed for UDMA 7 CF cards is about 3.3 times faster than it was with earlier firmware versions. However, even with Firmware Version 1.2.5, the 7D's card-writing speed is about the same for both UDMA 7 and UDMA 6 CF cards."

-- hide signature --

Ken

 KWEnz's gear list:KWEnz's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +5 more
katman68 Regular Member • Posts: 487
Re: UDMA7 support for 7D Firmware Update v2 ?

I wonder where you get your info Karl. Not the right right circuitry! Please share your source - do you have one? No info is better than incorrect info.


Mark

Karl Gnter Wnsch Forum Pro • Posts: 11,408
Re: No, that's impossible because of lack of necessary circuitry... (n/t)

photojohne wrote:

I beg to differ - - UDMA7 is supported and the latest firmware supports it, there are several web blog locations that attest to this fact

Let me rephrase, UDMA7 cards will function but they will only be used at UDMA 6 speeds. I was assuming that the OP asked about UDMA7 speeds which are not usable as the camera can't physically accommodate this transfer mode.
--
regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

 Karl Gnter Wnsch's gear list:Karl Gnter Wnsch's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II
Karl Gnter Wnsch Forum Pro • Posts: 11,408
Re: UDMA7 support for 7D Firmware Update v2 ?

katman68 wrote:

I wonder where you get your info Karl. Not the right right circuitry! Please share your source - do you have one? No info is better than incorrect info.

I meant that the camera can't utilize the UDMA 7 transfer speeds. It has been made compatible with the UDMA 7 cards to utilize UDMA 6 transfer modes...

And if you need confirmation of this fact then just read the speed information in the V2 camera manual where it states that a UDMA 7 card will behave exactly like a UDMA 6 card with regard to the transfer speed.
--
regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

 Karl Gnter Wnsch's gear list:Karl Gnter Wnsch's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II
photojohne Contributing Member • Posts: 871
Re: No, that's impossible because of lack of necessary circuitry... (n/t)

Karl Gnter Wnsch wrote:

photojohne wrote:

I beg to differ - - UDMA7 is supported and the latest firmware supports it, there are several web blog locations that attest to this fact

Let me rephrase, UDMA7 cards will function but they will only be used at UDMA 6 speeds. I was assuming that the OP asked about UDMA7 speeds which are not usable as the camera can't physically accommodate this transfer mode.

I accept your re-phrasing however the camera does use UDMA MODE7 with the firmware, it uses the transfer protocal and path but just not at the full Mode7 speed. However it is 3.3 times faster than the original 7D speed with the older firmware

-- hide signature --

regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

-- hide signature --
 photojohne's gear list:photojohne's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM
katman68 Regular Member • Posts: 487
Re: UDMA7 support for 7D Firmware Update v2 ?

Ah, that's what you meant.

Even if it is "held" to UDMA 6, w/the RAW+jpeg burst jumping over 2x as fast to 17 frames from 6 it's all relative. That's a phenomenal improve & all that matters to me.

It's amazing the tendency to get caught up in all the technicality on these forums, instead of just enjoying the most fundamental part of photography that keeps us shooting...

Mark

7D Canon User New Member • Posts: 1
Re: UDMA7 support for 7D Firmware Update v2 ?

Agreed.

Regardless of the 7D (with firmware 2.0) not fully supporting full UDMA7 speeds, Canon still states that the standard RAW burst will get you 25 continuous shots. That's amazing! So who really cares if you're not getting the "full" read/write capabilities of the UDMA7 cards.
Who would need more than 25 anyway?

TTMartin
TTMartin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,304
Re: UDMA7 support for 7D Firmware Update v2 ?

Karl Gnter Wnsch wrote:

katman68 wrote:

I wonder where you get your info Karl. Not the right right circuitry! Please share your source - do you have one? No info is better than incorrect info.

I meant that the camera can't utilize the UDMA 7 transfer speeds. It has been made compatible with the UDMA 7 cards to utilize UDMA 6 transfer modes...

And if you need confirmation of this fact then just read the speed information in the V2 camera manual where it states that a UDMA 7 card will behave exactly like a UDMA 6 card with regard to the transfer speed.
--
regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

Have you tested this yet? Is it really only UDMA 6 speeds, or is it faster than UDMA 6, but, not meeting the official UDMA 7 standard?

Yes, the 7D can use UDMA 7 cards.

As meantioned with the size and speed of the buffer from a practical stand point it probably really doesn't matter.

But, with the proper card reader you can benefit from the UDMA 7 cards increased speed on the post processing side.

 TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 400D +26 more
thx1138
thx1138 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,162
Re: UDMA7 support for 7D Firmware Update v2 ?

TTMartin wrote:

Karl Gnter Wnsch wrote:

katman68 wrote:

I wonder where you get your info Karl. Not the right right circuitry! Please share your source - do you have one? No info is better than incorrect info.

I meant that the camera can't utilize the UDMA 7 transfer speeds. It has been made compatible with the UDMA 7 cards to utilize UDMA 6 transfer modes...

And if you need confirmation of this fact then just read the speed information in the V2 camera manual where it states that a UDMA 7 card will behave exactly like a UDMA 6 card with regard to the transfer speed.
--
regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

Have you tested this yet? Is it really only UDMA 6 speeds, or is it faster than UDMA 6, but, not meeting the official UDMA 7 standard?

Yes, the 7D can use UDMA 7 cards.

As meantioned with the size and speed of the buffer from a practical stand point it probably really doesn't matter.

But, with the proper card reader you can benefit from the UDMA 7 cards increased speed on the post processing side.

I did not think you could add support for UDMA 7 protocol fully without hardware changes. Sure the FW may allow better support for UDMA 7 cards, but the hardware is not able to take full benefit and so you will not see as fast card write speeds in 7D as you will in 1D X and 5D III. But you do get other benefits of UDMA 7 cards, so it's an overall big improvement.

TTMartin
TTMartin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,304
Re: UDMA7 support for 7D Firmware Update v2 ?

thx1138 wrote:

I did not think you could add support for UDMA 7 protocol fully without hardware changes. Sure the FW may allow better support for UDMA 7 cards, but the hardware is not able to take full benefit and so you will not see as fast card write speeds in 7D as you will in 1D X and 5D III. But you do get other benefits of UDMA 7 cards, so it's an overall big improvement.

All my Lexar Pro USB 3.0 Dual-Slot Reader needed for UDMA 7 functionality was a firmware update.

http://www.lexar.com/support/lexar-professional-usb-30-dual-slot-usb-reader-faq

It is clear from Canon's statements that the 7D does NOT fully meet the UDMA 7 standard. That does not mean that the 7Ds transfer rate doesn't fall some where above the 133MB/sec UDMA 6 standard, but, below the 167MB/sec UDMA standard.

It will be interesting to see if there were any improvements with UDMA 7 cards when Rob Galbraith tests the 7D with firmware V2.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/camera_wb_multi_page.asp?cid=6007-10294

 TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 400D +26 more
Karl Gnter Wnsch Forum Pro • Posts: 11,408
Re: UDMA7 support for 7D Firmware Update v2 ?

TTMartin wrote:

It is clear from Canon's statements that the 7D does NOT fully meet the UDMA 7 standard.

Nope, it's totally clear that the 7D will use the UDMA 7 cards at UDMA 6 speed, there is a statement to this extent in 7D V2 firmware announcement when they state that the UDMA 7 card tested to achieve the number of shots in a series behaves just like a UDMA 6 card.

It will be interesting to see if there were any improvements with UDMA 7 cards when Rob Galbraith tests the 7D with firmware V2.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/camera_wb_multi_page.asp?cid=6007-10294

I don't think that you will get any information from that site anymore as Rob has taken another job and put the website on hiatus.
--
regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

 Karl Gnter Wnsch's gear list:Karl Gnter Wnsch's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II
mrgooch2008
mrgooch2008 Contributing Member • Posts: 788
Re: UDMA7 support for 7D Firmware Update v2 ?

Note:

UDMA 7 CF memory card read/write speeds are not fully supported with the EOS 7D Digital SLR camera, if using UDMA 7 memory cards, the read/write speeds will be equivalent to UDMA 6.

 mrgooch2008's gear list:mrgooch2008's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads