Sadly, will be returning RX100

Started Jul 13, 2012 | Discussions
DanK♂ FP6900 Regular Member • Posts: 462
Sadly, will be returning RX100

I really want to like the camera, it's very compact, solid build, very fast in operation, nice menus, fast lens but jpeg image quality turned out to be not satisfying for me. Yes, it's better then any compact out there, but after Panasonic GH1, which is not even the best 4/3 it's hard to go back to anything less. RX100 images look decent when reduced in size, but even at base ISO they seem either unclean or over processed. I even tried just shooting in 10MP mode which helps. Many people would recommend RAW, but like most all I want camera that has the best image quality, so I can take pictures of my year old and not have to deal with PP.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
limbonaut Regular Member • Posts: 137
Re: Sadly, will be returning RX100

DanK♂ FP6900 wrote:

I really want to like the camera, it's very compact, solid build, very fast in operation, nice menus, fast lens but jpeg image quality turned out to be not satisfying for me. Yes, it's better then any compact out there, but after Panasonic GH1, which is not even the best 4/3 it's hard to go back to anything less. RX100 images look decent when reduced in size, but even at base ISO they seem either unclean or over processed. I even tried just shooting in 10MP mode which helps. Many people would recommend RAW, but like most all I want camera that has the best image quality, so I can take pictures of my year old and not have to deal with PP.

How long have you had it? Why not take some time and see how you can make it perform it's best.

Teski
Teski Forum Pro • Posts: 13,060
Exactly what I was going to say

People use a camera for a couple of days and then bail. It's a completely different tool than you're used to. Give it time.

-- hide signature --

Thanks,

Teski
Photo-A-Day project - http://www.blipfoto.com/teski
Professional site - http://www.tedescophotography.com

Teski's gear list:Teski's gear list
Sony RX100 III Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246) Canon EOS-1D X Leica M Typ 240 Canon EOS-1D X Mark II +8 more
OP DanK♂ FP6900 Regular Member • Posts: 462

I had it for a day, but I already took 400 photos with it, it's plenty for me to get a feel of the camera. I'll continue to use it for a few days anyway, but first impression isn't what I expected. One thing for sure, I better stick with 10MP mode.

bab4 Regular Member • Posts: 455

The RX100 doesn't have to replace your Panasonic. I have an Oly E-M5 along with the whole arsenal of lenses but the RX100 will be going where the E-M5 can't... In my pocket! Seriously though... If you REALLY want good JPG's you should switch over to Oly instead.. heheh

bab4's gear list:bab4's gear list
YI M1
ekaton Contributing Member • Posts: 773

It's shirt pocketable. The highest IQ in a shirt pocket size camera, that's its selling point. I ordered one.

ekaton's gear list:ekaton's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR +8 more
voz Regular Member • Posts: 372

DanK♂ FP6900 wrote:

Yes, it's better then any compact out there, but after Panasonic GH1, which is not even the best 4/3 it's hard to go back to anything less.

Did you really think it would compete with a large, interchangeable-lens camera? I have high hopes for the Sony, but only for it to be better than other cameras in its size.

theokalat New Member • Posts: 10

I have had my RX100 now for a couple of days.

Tried every possible setting available. Still cannot match my Olympus xz-1 for jpeg quality.

I too am extremely dissapointed with the jpeg quality. Too much in camera noise reduction.Anyone who thinks otherwise is not being honest with themselves or just trying to justify the high price of this camera.

Not worth anywhere near what sony is charging for it.Worth closer to $400-$450 in my opinion.

Mine is going ebay soon.

ChristianHass Senior Member • Posts: 2,740

theokalat wrote:

Tried every possible setting available. Still cannot match my Olympus xz-1 for jpeg quality.

I too am extremely dissapointed with the jpeg quality. Too much in camera noise reduction.Anyone who thinks otherwise is not being honest with themselves or just trying to justify the high price of this camera.

Not worth anywhere near what sony is charging for it.Worth closer to $400-$450 in my opinion.

Mine is going ebay soon.

Are you saying the RX100 has worse JPEG NR handling than the Olympus XZ-1?

-- hide signature --

Shooting for fun and memories.

ChristianHass's gear list:ChristianHass's gear list
Ricoh GR Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Panasonic FZ1000 Sigma DP3 Merrill +1 more
voz Regular Member • Posts: 372

Mine is going ebay soon.

Before you do that, could you please just take a couple of XZ-1 vs RX100 comparison shots and upload them to the gallery?

Oswald61 Contributing Member • Posts: 537

Does anyone shoot raw with this camera, or the Canon G1x?
I see pictures from both cameras that are very good, but jpeg only??

It isn't that much more work to process Raw files once you know what you are doing surely....

If I bought the Rx100 I would at least try shooting raw before selling the thing.
At least then I could say I gave it a fair shot.
Same goes for the G1x or any other cam.

bab4 Regular Member • Posts: 455

theokalat wrote:

I had an XZ-1 and it had a big problem with over aggressive noise reduction. I know Sony's also have that problem but the RX100 shots so far have shown it to be a bit better than my old XZ-1 shots. If you have time post the same pic taken side by side from both cameras under the same conditions.

bab4's gear list:bab4's gear list
YI M1
MisterBG Veteran Member • Posts: 6,036

Oswald61 wrote:

Does anyone shoot raw with this camera, or the Canon G1x?
I see pictures from both cameras that are very good, but jpeg only??

It isn't that much more work to process Raw files once you know what you are doing surely....

I think the problem is the current lack of raw convertor programs for the RX100. From what I can understand the supplied raw convertor software is somewhat lacking in functionality.

-- hide signature --

To err is Human. To really foul things up you need a computer.

GuardianFlash Senior Member • Posts: 1,431

Just wait two more weeks and adobe will update adobe camera raw.

GuardianFlash's gear list:GuardianFlash's gear list
Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM
Rob Vermaas Contributing Member • Posts: 946

theokalat wrote:

Well you are doing something very wrong then.....
Have you studied the manual?

Rob Vermaas's gear list:Rob Vermaas's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony a77 II Sony Alpha 7 II +14 more
ohlhouse
ohlhouse Regular Member • Posts: 212

i am not! i had so many cameras but the rx 100 is a perfect p&s camera to me - What a snapper - and pic. quality is outstanding even at iso 1600. so in all situations i feel confident without even thinking what to do - i can focus on taken pictures....
--

Canon 7D / EF 50 1.8 / Tamron 17-50-2.8 Sigma 10-20mm/EF 100 macro / EF 70-300 IS USM / EF 18-135mm TX5- LX3 - G9 - (D-Lux3, S80,DSC-H5 and C8080)

ohlhouse's gear list:ohlhouse's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
By-eye Regular Member • Posts: 325

looking at your previous posts, you were always going to. Your opinion contradicts pretty much everyone else out there - and whilst I'm all for an opinionated minority, I think you were setting this up to fail.

I'm no Sony fanboy, nor am I trying to justify the cost - but I have used the X10, LX5, S95 etc and they are all beaten by this camera.

You did actually buy this camera did you?!

trevmar Senior Member • Posts: 2,468

MisterBG wrote:

From what I can understand the supplied raw convertor software is somewhat lacking in functionality.

Well try the software for yourself
It has similar functionality to Sillypix. Adequate, IMO.

You can download it for free from Sony Support. Here is the Windows version I was using earlier today:
http://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/imsoft/Win/idc/us.html

wayoutwest New Member • Posts: 16

The samples here look great and most people that have one seem to be positive about it. I would try raw, it takes very little time to batch convert files. If they're disappointing, perhaps there's a problem with the camera? All the manufactures make some that shouldn't get through quality control, if yours is much worse than average, perhaps it should be returned to be fixed by Sony or replaced?

nikonp1 Forum Member • Posts: 65

Majority of the people who purchase this camera not to shoot RAW.

Oh well, I'll wait for a bargain in Ebay...

wayoutwest wrote:

The samples here look great and most people that have one seem to be positive about it. I would try raw, it takes very little time to batch convert files. If they're disappointing, perhaps there's a problem with the camera? All the manufactures make some that shouldn't get through quality control, if yours is much worse than average, perhaps it should be returned to be fixed by Sony or replaced?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads