Walk-around camera for wife

Started Jul 12, 2012 | Discussions
Sellwood Forum Member • Posts: 84
Walk-around camera for wife

I want to buy my wife a lighter weight camera so she can shoot quality photos and learn about shutter, aperture, raw etc, while still not carrying the weight of even a Rebel. Have my eyes fixed on a Canon G12, what do you think?

Sellwood's gear list:Sellwood's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +1 more
Canon PowerShot G12
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
wolfpuppies3 Senior Member • Posts: 1,747
Great choice or consider

the G1X which is a little larger but still very easily manageable.
--
Photography at the speed of sound.

treepop
treepop Contributing Member • Posts: 691
Re: Walk-around camera for wife

Sellwood wrote:

I want to buy my wife a lighter weight camera so she can shoot quality photos and learn about shutter, aperture, raw etc, while still not carrying the weight of even a Rebel. Have my eyes fixed on a Canon G12, what do you think?

Would think this would be a topic for a beginner discussion. BUT! I will take a stab.

What is your budget? Would you consider an x100? Maybe even the g1x...

I am a super fan of large sensors.

-- hide signature --

never stop learning

treepop's gear list:treepop's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony a6300 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +15 more
thomas2279f
thomas2279f Senior Member • Posts: 2,782

Good choice or a Sony Nex 5n/F3....

thomas2279f's gear list:thomas2279f's gear list
Nikon D800 Apple iPad WiFi +1 more
thelensmeister Contributing Member • Posts: 900

Yes a G1x would be appropriate.

DFPanno
DFPanno Veteran Member • Posts: 5,214

RX-100

MayaTlab0
MayaTlab0 Senior Member • Posts: 2,251

If you want her to learn about shutter, aperture, and so on, I believe the Fuji X100 is an excellent photography school. The fixed focal length is also useful for that purpose.

bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 53,142

Depends on the wife. Might be a good trade.
--
Bob

7enderbender Contributing Member • Posts: 822

Sellwood wrote:

I had a similar question a while ago when looking for a camera for my daughter to learn some of the basics.

The problem is that there are always at least three limiting factors: size/weight, sensor size and cost. So even something like the G12 is limited because of the relatively small sensor when it comes to getting a good understanding of controlling depth of field with aperture settings. More expensive and bigger cameras with fast lenses and APS-C size sensors will get you closer to that.

Given that a G12 is limited in that sense as well I actually decided on the SX130. Not as stylish and sturdy, battery life could be better, but surprisingly decent results and good manual controls for that class of camera. Has served our family pretty well so far. Not sure if it does RAW. Probably not, at least not without third party firmware tinkering. But good enough to understand shutter, aperture, ISO.

Another cool little camera is the Samsung NX10 that I had the pleasure to mess around with a few days ago. Should be available at a decent price now that the 20 is out. Add a fast pancake lens to that and it's really great.

OP Sellwood Forum Member • Posts: 84

I followed several suggestions that were made and I'm going ahead with the G12. Budget IS an issue and right now the G12 is selling for under $400 and the G1x is north of $700. Also, wanted to stick with a Canon product.

Thanks for your suggestions and feedback.
Doug

Sellwood's gear list:Sellwood's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +1 more
Hank3152
Hank3152 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,499

Sellwood wrote:

I followed several suggestions that were made and I'm going ahead with the G12.

Good choice, here's a couple of used ones from reliable sellers on FM and POTN........
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1128895/0?keyword=G12#10778492
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1201148&highlight=G12

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Hank

Hank3152's gear list:Hank3152's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +5 more
Dan_168 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,117

Sony NEX 7. I have one for myself.

AC1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,171

Sellwood wrote:

Depends on your definition (or your wife's) of 'walkaround'.

If you mean something less bulky than a DSLR but the priority is still to take near-DSLR quality pics then something like the G12/G1x is perfect.

But that is still too bulky to slip into a pocket unnoticed. So apart from being lighter than a DSLR it still has the same disadvantage of not being pocketable. So if something as small and unobtrusive as a packet of ciggies is more important than DSLR quality, then something like a S100 is more appropriate.

AC1's gear list:AC1's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +2 more
kevindar
kevindar Veteran Member • Posts: 4,315

what have in the past frustrated my wife most is shutter lag.
two main considerations are how small, and how much.

I have a panasonic Lx-5 which is great. truly pocketable, short shutter lag, fast f2 lens at 24mm. there is a whole new crop of them now a days, which have even faster lenses.

a little bulkier, you could look to g12 or g1x, or offering from fuji and olympus.

yet bigger, you can look at sony nex with a pancake if you want dslr image quality in a small package. or you can go a little smaller with a micro 4/3rd.
--
http://razzi.me/kevindar/photos

kevindar's gear list:kevindar's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Sony a6000 +22 more
jan pawlak Regular Member • Posts: 489

My wife is glad of Canon SX 260.
Very nice travel camera for women

-- hide signature --
 jan pawlak's gear list:jan pawlak's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar +1 more
thelensmeister Contributing Member • Posts: 900

Most of the married women I know have bigger and heavier cameras than I do. My wife is an exception.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads