K-30 DNG file compatabilty.

Started Jul 12, 2012 | Discussions
RevRat Regular Member • Posts: 297
K-30 DNG file compatabilty.

Silkypix Developer Studio 3.0 dose not recognize the DNG that Pentax DCU4 dose.
Pentax DCU4 reads K-30 DNG but cannot save it.
Still testing!!!

Pentax K-30
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Cideway
Cideway Veteran Member • Posts: 5,707
Re: K-30 DNG file compatabilty.

There maybe code in the software about model numbers and what and what not to open.
--
Chris.

A weather sealed ultra wide, is that too much to ask?

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/chriside

GMT +9.5

Pentax SLR talk FAQ
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=23161072

Cideway's gear list:Cideway's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-3 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +2 more
leopold Forum Pro • Posts: 14,083

Hi,

i have a K-01 and when i bought it (i pre-ordered it) the Sylkypix program that came with the camera worked pretty well and i can also open it in LR3.
--
Leopold
Pentax forever
http://smarcoux.zenfolio.com/
http://www.limagier-photo.com/
http://www.firstlight.com/galleries.php
http://steevemarcoux2.wordpress.com/

leopold's gear list:leopold's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +3 more
Nicols Contributing Member • Posts: 865

RevRat wrote:

Maybe I don't understand what you want to say, but a raw file can never be saved, ¿no?
Can't you export jpgs, tiffs or photoshop format?

Cheers - Klaus

Nicols's gear list:Nicols's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM +16 more
James O'Neill Veteran Member • Posts: 5,406

Nicols wrote:

RevRat wrote:

Maybe I don't understand what you want to say, but a raw file can never be saved, ¿no?
Can't you export jpgs, tiffs or photoshop format?

The different variations of raw files are just formats - it's only convention which says that PEF, NEF etc aren't written by anything but the camera

Some software will export-to / save-as DNG . Lightroom will convert a JPG to a DNG If you ask it to. Other software won't.

James O'Neill's gear list:James O'Neill's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +3 more
Steven Stone Regular Member • Posts: 235

Lightroom 3.6 recognizes my K-30 DNG files. It even finds the right lens correction files. So for Lightroom users there's no issues with K-30 DNG files.

-- hide signature --

Steven Stone
Contributing Writer The Absolute Sound
Columnist EnjoytheMusic.com
Columnist Vintage Guitar Magazine
stone8807@aol.com

Nicols Contributing Member • Posts: 865

James O'Neill wrote:

Some software will export-to / save-as DNG . Lightroom will convert a JPG to a DNG If you ask it to. Other software won't.

I know, there are programs that do conversions… but, as far as I know, Pentax DCU does not have a save command for DNGs. And that was what the OP was complaining about.

Cheers - Klaus

Nicols's gear list:Nicols's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM +16 more
Model Mike Veteran Member • Posts: 3,895

James O'Neill wrote:

Though the resulting file will not be a raw file. DNG is at its heart just a container for different types of image data, including jpeg as well as raw.

-- hide signature --
rogerstpierre Veteran Member • Posts: 4,795
Please Explain what you are trying to do...

RevRat, everyone is this thread are guessing what you're saying or doing. Can you be a bit more specific ? What exactly are you trying to do ?

RevRat wrote:

Still testing!!!

-- hide signature --

Roger

rogerstpierre's gear list:rogerstpierre's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus 12-45mm F4 Pro +4 more
Gerry Winterbourne Forum Pro • Posts: 18,618
Parelel issue with Q
-- hide signature --

Gerry

First camera 1953, first Pentax 1985, first DSLR 2006
http://www.pbase.com/gerrywinterbourne

Alwina H Regular Member • Posts: 376
Another observation

I have SilkyPix program (version 2.0) that I still use from time to time in free mode. (I love the colors it produces.)

I used to shoot PEF's with my K-x, and convert them later (in LR) to DNG. SilkyPix has no trouble with these files, although my camera did not exist at SilkyPix 2.0-time.

But when I switch from PEF to DNG in my K-x, SilkyPix cannot open the resulting DNG-file.

In short, the DNG created by the camera are less "universal" than the DNG produced by LightRoom.

RevRat wrote:

Still testing!!!

-- hide signature --

A.

Brad99 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,145

SilkyPix Developer Studio 4.1.21.1 works OK with a downloaded K-30 DNG file.

OP RevRat Regular Member • Posts: 297

The problem is not with K-30 DNG file. It's the supplied Silkypix DS3. It won't recognise PEF or DNG from older Pentax cameras. So if you shoot two bodies, you will need two RAW converters or buy a third.

Now I understand. Obviously the DNG's aren't complying to the Adobe standard. That said, there must be a way to add the required PEF/DNG structure description files for older cameras. How to do that I am not certain, but I am guessing that the file structures are probably kept in some sub-folder. Certainly Silkypix does not modify the application code each time a new camera comes about, but rather simply adds definition files to the lsit of supported cameras. It could be as easy as copying the right description file into the right folder, I would inquire Silkypix support if I were you. Alternatively, with Silkypix DS Pro 5 you'd be able to read/process any images created by virtually any digital cameras out there, and it comes with some really neat extra features such as the HDR slider, which I love. It's the best thing since sliced bred ! For some reasons many seem to dislike Silkypix. As for one think it's a brilliant piece of software that does all the hard things for you in a simple and efficient manner.

RevRat wrote:

The problem is not with K-30 DNG file. It's the supplied Silkypix DS3. It won't recognise PEF or DNG from older Pentax cameras. So if you shoot two bodies, you will need two RAW converters or buy a third.

-- hide signature --

Roger

Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus 12-45mm F4 Pro +4 more
GordonBGood Veteran Member • Posts: 6,311

rogerstpierre wrote:

Now I understand. Obviously the DNG's aren't complying to the Adobe standard. That said, there must be a way to add the required PEF/DNG structure description files for older cameras. How to do that I am not certain, but I am guessing that the file structures are probably kept in some sub-folder. Certainly Silkypix does not modify the application code each time a new camera comes about, but rather simply adds definition files to the lsit of supported cameras. It could be as easy as copying the right description file into the right folder, I would inquire Silkypix support if I were you. Alternatively, with Silkypix DS Pro 5 you'd be able to read/process any images created by virtually any digital cameras out there, and it comes with some really neat extra features such as the HDR slider, which I love. It's the best thing since sliced bred ! For some reasons many seem to dislike Silkypix. As for one think it's a brilliant piece of software that does all the hard things for you in a simple and efficient manner.

RevRat wrote:

Roger, no, I think that Pentax have had the version of SilkyPix supplied with the cameras modified so that it only recognizes model names of newer Pentax camera models, thus excluding all previous models. RevRat, the OP, is correct that it isn't the fault of the K-30 DNG format.

The only way to fix this would be to patch older models of DNG files so that the Pentax version of SilkyPix thinks they are from a K-30 (which may make colour rendering incorrect) or for someone to reverse engineer and patch the Pentax version of SilkyPix so that it recognizes more models (again complex if it uses anything other than the embedded DNG colour profiles). I, personally, wouldn't be bothered, and would just use the Pentax Digital Camera Utility (PDCU) to the latest version 4 for older models and the supplied SilkyPix version for new models if one wanted to use these, since both will convert very similarly as both use the SilkyPix demosiacing "engine".

Regards, GordonBGood

GordonBGood wrote:

rogerstpierre wrote:

RevRat wrote:

Roger, no, I think that Pentax have had the version of SilkyPix supplied with the cameras modified so that it only recognizes model names of newer Pentax camera models, thus excluding all previous models. RevRat, the OP, is correct that it isn't the fault of the K-30 DNG format.

The only way to fix this would be to patch older models of DNG files so that the Pentax version of SilkyPix thinks they are from a K-30 (which may make colour rendering incorrect) or for someone to reverse engineer and patch the Pentax version of SilkyPix so that it recognizes more models (again complex if it uses anything other than the embedded DNG colour profiles). I, personally, wouldn't be bothered, and would just use the Pentax Digital Camera Utility (PDCU) to the latest version 4 for older models and the supplied SilkyPix version for new models if one wanted to use these, since both will convert very similarly as both use the SilkyPix demosiacing "engine".

Regards, GordonBGood

Very possibly.

-- hide signature --

Roger

This is from the Silkypix (Japan) link.

If you are using "SILKYPIX Developer Studio 3.0 for PENTAX" , you can purchase our products at discount prices.

• The products you purchase will need the serial number of digital cameras of PENTAX, please prepare in advance.

So, they have what you need, nice.
I guess any update to DCU4 is moot.

This is from the software manual (Help):

This camera list shows cameras that are supported by this software

Do not use a camera that is not on the list even if it can operate the RAW data, because we do not provide any support for it.

You cannot get the normal development result with an unsupported camera. It also may cause the software to freeze.

PENTAX Q
PENTAX K-01
PENTAX K-30

In order to handle RAW data of cameras except the one shown above, please purchase a release version of "SILKYPIX® Developer Studio" separately at the following site.

• Official Site of SILKYPIX ( http://www.silkypix.com )

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads