5D MkII or 1Ds MkII?

Started Jul 10, 2012 | Discussions
Jon Krol Forum Member • Posts: 50
5D MkII or 1Ds MkII?

I'm thinking of adding a FF body to compliment my 7D. The 5D MkIII is way too expensive as is the 1Ds MkIII. Which of the two MkII's would be the better to buy, the 5D II or 1Ds II? They can both be had for around the same $'s depending on condition. All my glass is Canon L so I'm set there for lenses. I would use my 7D for tele stuff and the FF for my wide lenses. I don't do sports but do airshow photos. Beyond that just general stuff. Any opinions on the two choices?

Jon Krol's gear list:Jon Krol's gear list
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +7 more
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1Ds
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
HobbiesAreFun Senior Member • Posts: 2,457
Meh.

If you don't need a comprehensive AF system, get the 5DII over the 1DsII.
--
-Eric (17 years old with tons of things I can't wait to learn)
http://eswenson.smugmug.com

HobbiesAreFun's gear list:HobbiesAreFun's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +3 more
jon lake
jon lake Senior Member • Posts: 1,632
Re: Meh.

If you want to know how good a camera can feel and be, go with the 1DS2, The 5Dis a toy beside it!

jon lake's gear list:jon lake's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM +3 more
OP Jon Krol Forum Member • Posts: 50
Re: Meh.

THAT is a very nice photo. Incredible detail. I kind of had the same feeling about the 1Ds vs 5D. I am torn a bit. Like the video function of the 5d II, (I am a pro freelance videographer), but I really want a true solid FF pro still camera. Prices on the 1Ds II are really falling now because of the 1DX and 5DIII. Even the 1Ds III is taking a hit.

Dan_168 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,789
Re: 5D MkII or 1Ds MkII?

table 5D2 is a more modern camera than the 1DS2, better LCD, slightly higher resolution, little better high ISO capability, has LV, movie mode, with that being said, as the current owner of both 5D2 and 1DS2, I use my 1DS2 10 times more than my 5D2, but that's a personal thing, i just love the 1DS body and it's focusing system, and how it feels in my hand, it's just so comfortable to use, so my 1DS2 and D3 and even the 1D2 are my 'regular camera", the 5D2 is my hiking camera only because it's the smallest and it has good live view and I only use Zeiss and TSE for landscape so that works out perfectly for me, but for regular daily shooting, I don't normally use my 5D2.

You better go try both to see it for yourself, some people hate the big 1D body and love small 5D size but I just personally not a big fan of the 5D style body even with the add-on on vertical grip, and not to mention how horrible is that vertical grip feel when compare to the built in one on the 1 series body. you got to have a camera you feel comfortable to use when you are out there working all day with them, it' the tool you will be using all the time.

jon lake
jon lake Senior Member • Posts: 1,632

Once you use a 1 series camera, you will never go back . I have a 40dwhich gets very little use now despite a better screen and live view etc. the 1ds is quirky with its menu system and user 2 button press interface but I love it. If it broke I would get another. Unless the 1ds3 was more affordable. They are built like brick out houses!

jon lake's gear list:jon lake's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM +3 more
Dan_168 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,789

jon lake wrote:

Once you use a 1 series camera, you will never go back . I have a 40dwhich gets very little use now despite a better screen and live view etc. the 1ds is quirky with its menu system and user 2 button press interface but I love it. If it broke I would get another. Unless the 1ds3 was more affordable. They are built like brick out houses!

it's all about personal preference, coming from F4 and 1V HS, I personally never care for the 50D/5D style body but I do know a friend who shoots for living and he traded both his 1DS2 for a 5D2 and really happy with it, so all personal preference, everyone is different. While I am 1D and D3 series user I do have a NEX 7 for those time I actually want a small camera with decent image sensor.

Cesare Ferrari Regular Member • Posts: 431

Jon Krol wrote:

I'm thinking of adding a FF body to compliment my 7D. The 5D MkIII is way too expensive as is the 1Ds MkIII. Which of the two MkII's would be the better to buy, the 5D II or 1Ds II? They can both be had for around the same $'s depending on condition. All my glass is Canon L so I'm set there for lenses. I would use my 7D for tele stuff and the FF for my wide lenses. I don't do sports but do airshow photos. Beyond that just general stuff. Any opinions on the two choices?

Firstly, they are both great cameras, so really it comes down to your preferred way of working, and what you value most. Obviously, the 5D II gives you a bit more resolution, higher ISO, and movie support. The 1Ds II by comparison has a faster shutter response, and a very solid feel which is hard to describe other than it gives you confidence that you've got the shot that you intended.

Which is best for you? That's for you to decide, but there is no right or wrong, both are great choices which will give you great images and years of satisfaction.

Cesare Ferrari's gear list:Cesare Ferrari's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II +1 more
GordonAtWork
GordonAtWork Regular Member • Posts: 480
The 1Ds MkII, when used with the hand strap ..

... can be a very effective weapon against muggers. I've never used a 5D in any guise but I couldn't see me without my 1Ds2. I have a T90 and an A1 and I suppose there is a similarity in the differences between those two cameras as to the 5 and 1 series. I consider the 1Ds2 to be a worthy modern day Tank (T90 nick name in Japan).

-- hide signature --

Moderator wannabe !

GordonAtWork's gear list:GordonAtWork's gear list
Canon EOS D60 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +9 more
Jan Madsen Senior Member • Posts: 2,398
Just went from 1DsII to 5DII

My 1DsII has served me fine for 4 years, but the shutter is slowly failing (fast shutter times are off) despite only 40000 activations, so when the 5DIII was announced I thought that was the model to get - repairing the 1DsII shutter costs half the cameras remaining value. But 5DIII is too expensive, and not enough improvements over the 5DII (in my eyes), so I have just purchased a new 5DII two months ago, and relegated the 1DsII to secondary duty. Now eagerly awaiting the upcoming low-price 40MP full frame Canon...!

And had to exchange the 5DII, first body gave 90% images only in pink and with random noise at the top. Second body now passed 1000 activations, no problems. 1DsII had its main board replaced a couple of years ago, very expensive. Canon quality is so-so...

Differences:

• 1DsII is very solid, 5DII is more a "plastic" camera, but for my needs (adv. amateur) it is fine.

• 5DII has live view - huge advantage.

• 5DII has micro adjustment - sorely missed on the 1DsII, my 50mm f/1 has always been slightly off.

• Higher resolution of 5DII has minimal impact.

• 5DII has less high ISO noise - a real advantage. I haven't tried high ISO's that much yet, but at least one stop better. A string of 5DII ISO 1600 images look fine, 1600 ISO is usually more borderline on the 1DsII.

• A cheap Chinese grip (€70, with additional timer functionality) works very fine on the 5DII.

• 1DsII better with certain old lenses (I collect lenses) - 5DII more prone to have collisions between rear lens element and mirror. Minolta 58mm f/1.2 (wonderful lens) can't be used at infinity on the 5DII, no problems on the 1DsII.

• Viewfinder is better on 1DsII, but still good on 5DII (albeit less than 100% coverage).

• 5DII display far better - it is a joke on the 1DsII.

• 5DII somewhat lighter - and you can omit the grip, if desired, then much lighter.

• 5DII has more silent shutter - more muted shutter sound.

• 5DII has better battery. Much smaller and lighter, better capacity, but charges slooowly.

My conclusion: Much better display and live view alone outweights the slightly poorer viewfinder and the plastic construction. Buy why oh why no SD card option on the 5D? That slight fact had slipped my attention, so initially only an old 8GB CF card was available, and a brand new 32GB card cost me dearly.

Your mileage will probably vary...

-- hide signature --

• Jan

Re: Just went from 1DsII to 5DII

Thanks to all for offering your experiences with both bodies. After reading all posts I have renewed my indecision again and I'm torn between the two. The difference between an excellent 6-7 year old design and another excellent three or so year design, so beside the more or less comparable sensors it comes down to the features and capabilities that best match what you will use the camera for.

The advances in the technology of the 5dII does offer some advantages, one of which I stated earlier which is the video capability and I like live view as well. However, I do like the mass of the 1DsII. I like heavy cameras. I've used alot of video cameras from the most expensive to the really cheap prosumer types and I will take a heavier camera every time.

I'd love to get one of the latest and greatest Canon FF bodies but the price just is too much for my wallet to handle so I have to go used and a gen or two behind. I feel Canon has something up their sleeve. I'm sure they haven't been asleep at the wheel. I think they will deliver a high MP body in the near future and if they do I might have to wait until it is in the last gen catagory.

Ershotz - Regular Member • Posts: 142

I have seen the 1DS Mark III sell for as little as 3 Grand looking pristine, My opinion buy one and send it to canon if it needs it and don't look back!!!
--
ershotz

Ershotz -'s gear list:Ershotz -'s gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon TS-E 45mm f/2.8 Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II
BozillaNZ Regular Member • Posts: 346

The all plastic inner construction of 5D II will wear down far quicker than 1Ds2. Die cast aluminum mirror box/mirror vs plastic mirror box/mirror, your pick. Laid my hand on 1Ds2 for once and now I got a 1D3 as second body and selling all other bodies. Once you go 1D, you can't go back!

BozillaNZ's gear list:BozillaNZ's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +7 more
TheoC Contributing Member • Posts: 814

Should you buy the 1ds mark 2, make sure it comes with the dc adapter. The mark 2 still uses the old ni-mh batteries and they may play up a bit. Do not bother with the expensive Canon batteries, go online and you could find suitable third party batteries that last longer and do not need to be calibrated as they do not have the memory chip. I shoot occasionally with the 1ds (2002 vintage) and I love it despite the quirky menus. Still, if I were you I'd buy the 5d2 because of the video function, you are a videographer and you will always ask yourself what if...
Happy choosing!

Theo

Erhhh the 5DII has a magnesium body shell...

BozillaNZ wrote:

The all plastic inner construction of 5D II will wear down far quicker than 1Ds2. Die cast aluminum mirror box/mirror vs plastic mirror box/mirror, your pick. Laid my hand on 1Ds2 for once and now I got a 1D3 as second body and selling all other bodies. Once you go 1D, you can't go back!

-- hide signature --

• Jan

Jon Krol wrote:

Thanks to all for offering your experiences with both bodies. After reading all posts I have renewed my indecision again and I'm torn between the two. The difference between an excellent 6-7 year old design and another excellent three or so year design, so beside the more or less comparable sensors it comes down to the features and capabilities that best match what you will use the camera for.

Technology marches quickly with digital cameras. That's the best thing about the 5DII purchase over the 1DsII, in those few years things have really progressed.

The advances in the technology of the 5dII does offer some advantages, one of which I stated earlier which is the video capability and I like live view as well. However, I do like the mass of the 1DsII. I like heavy cameras. I've used alot of video cameras from the most expensive to the really cheap prosumer types and I will take a heavier camera every time.

Just threw both cameras on the scale (no lens):
1DsII: 1584g
5DII + grip + extra battery: 1298g

Not that much difference, and that is with a cheap Chinese grip, weighing almost nothing.
And if you are into video - no choice really, 5DII.

I'd love to get one of the latest and greatest Canon FF bodies but the price just is too much for my wallet to handle so I have to go used and a gen or two behind. I feel Canon has something up their sleeve. I'm sure they haven't been asleep at the wheel. I think they will deliver a high MP body in the near future and if they do I might have to wait until it is in the last gen catagory.

I concluded the same, and feel the same. 5DIII is exactly double price of 5DII right now here in Denmark, and that is too much. No doubt the 5DIII will crawl down in price though.

-- hide signature --

• Jan

BozillaNZ Regular Member • Posts: 346

That's where Canon gets you, yes, the thin shell is whatever fancy alloy they used to confuse customers, but inside, it's all plastic. Plastic mirror box you know? How many actuation of the plastic mirror racking up and down before you lose focusing accuracy? for 5D1/2 it's around 20k. For 5D3, due to the shock absorbing system it's probably longer, but plastic is plastic, it is no where as durable as metal.

BozillaNZ's gear list:BozillaNZ's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +7 more

So the 5D II's mirror/shutter assembly is plastic? I didn't know that.

My 1DsII shutter is dying after less than 40000 actuations, and the main board died around 20000. I don't think 1 series quality is that much better. Modern consumer goods unfortunately aren't on the level it was 30 years ago.

BozillaNZ wrote:

That's where Canon gets you, yes, the thin shell is whatever fancy alloy they used to confuse customers, but inside, it's all plastic. Plastic mirror box you know? How many actuation of the plastic mirror racking up and down before you lose focusing accuracy? for 5D1/2 it's around 20k. For 5D3, due to the shock absorbing system it's probably longer, but plastic is plastic, it is no where as durable as metal.

-- hide signature --

• Jan

I know the 1DsIII can be had for around 3 grand if you are patient but 3 grand might as well be 10 grand. I think the most I can squeeze out of my pocket is around 1.6 to 1.8k.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads