OMD 5 and G3 comparison

Started Jul 10, 2012 | Discussions
peppermonkey Veteran Member • Posts: 4,961
Umm...OM-D for a couple of hundred $ more?

highwave wrote:

Well look at it this way, you generally do pay a couple of hundred dollars for 1 stop advantage in photography so if OM-D gives you at least 1 stop advantage for non stabalized primes on shooting stills the the price is vindicated

Um...if I can get an OM-D for only a couple of hundred dollars more than the G3, that would make the camera way way more enticing.

As is, the G3 at $500 (or $550 with kit lens) vs OM-D at $1000 (or $1300 with kit lens) is...well, way way more than just a couple of hundred dollars more...more like $500 to $800 more...though to be fair, the $800 more is with a more expensive kit lens.

-- hide signature --

Hubert

My non-digital gear: Agfa Isolette, Fed 2, Konica Auto S2, K1000, Yashica Electro 35 GX, Recesky, Olympus 35 RD

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peppermonkey/

peppermonkey's gear list:peppermonkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Sigma DP2 Sony RX100 II Pentax K110D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +11 more
Timbukto Veteran Member • Posts: 4,988
Re: OMD 5 and G3 comparison

Yep its been out for an entire year with pretty much no issue/bug reports. Just google Panasonic G3 problem or issue...I have one person complaining about a broken LCD after buying pre-owned, and another person with 'issues' that are only really feature enhancement requests but nothing of the likes of banding or lock-up.

The 20 1.7 is an awesome lens to lose out on any reliability. And I dare say the 14-42 panasonic kit lens is a better value in terms of weight, size, and IQ compared to the 12-50 which wins in weather sealing, macro, and focal range versatility. Both are slow zooms though and both are equally in the why would I want to spend a lot of money on a slow zoom category for me...which is why I happen to like mine which costed me only $50 bucks pre-owned!

Paid $350 total for a G3 kit + spare batteries...

With the G3, you can only think of the saying, when you do something no one hates, no one really loves it either (of course I know there are owners that love their G3, but I can see how this saying applies to the G3...its just not sexy or trying to be an overachiever in anyway...it tries to just be a well-rounded blue-collar worker camera)

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
rrr_hhh Veteran Member • Posts: 6,023

Henry Richardson wrote:

I have both and like both. See all the problem posts about the E-M5 here. One really good thing about the G3 is it doesn't seem to have so many bugs/defects like the E-M5.

Well, there are possibly less owners of the G3 than the OM-D by now; it is also an older model which was more largely discussed last year. There were quite a number of reasons of dissatisfaction when it was issued. I updated from a G1 to the G3 and there was more to dislike in the G3 ergonomic than in the G1; here is what people were complaining about when it was launched :

1) the smaller thumb wheel : when you press it, it change between aperture and exp compensation or vice versa. When you turn it, you adjust one or the other; I have appreciated that system on the G1. Problem : the G3 wheel is a little hard to turn and easy to press, so you are constantly toggling between compensation and aperture instead of adjusting it. Really noyous. The G1 wheel had a better design and you weren't constantly shifting between the two controls inadvertently. This is getting worse with time and is now my main point of dissatisfaction with the G3.

2) the position of the two Fn buttons was changed; the Fn1 button got a much lower position and a recessed position at that, making it difficult to find and hit. The Fn2 button migrated at the very bottom of the back panel, so you have to move your hand to reach it. As a result, I never use the Fn2 button and had to stick some foam on the Fn1 button to make it easier to find.

3) many also complained that the VF had lost its autoswitch sensor (although this never bothered me, I had deactivated it on the G1).

4) many others also complained that the grip had got smaller which made the handling of bigger and heavier zooms more difficult and less stable. and indeed, mounting the 100-300 on the G3 isn't ideal.

5) I didn't like the way the touch LCD was implemented. I prefer that of the E-P3. But that is personal, there are many others who like it.

To sum up, the main reason for the upgrade was the sensor. But the handling is clearly worse than that of the G1. To the point that I added an E-P3 some months after the G3 and prefer to shoot with the E-P3 rather than the G3, even if the sensor is not as good. I take the G3 out only when I need to push the ISO up. or as a second camera, to avoid switching lenses too often.
--
rrr_hhh

rrr_hhh's gear list:rrr_hhh's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 6D Sony a7R Olympus E-M5 II Sony a7R II +5 more
rsmithgi Senior Member • Posts: 2,303

The big advantage of the OM-Dswitch respect o th G3 is also its IBIS, so in real life you are getting more than 1 stop difference when using primes !

Only for stationary subjects.

rsmithgi's gear list:rsmithgi's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 +5 more
Allan Brown Senior Member • Posts: 2,758

rrr_hhh wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

I have both and like both. See all the problem posts about the E-M5 here. One really good thing about the G3 is it doesn't seem to have so many bugs/defects like the E-M5.

Well, there are possibly less owners of the G3 than the OM-D by now; it is also an older model which was more largely discussed last year. There were quite a number of reasons of dissatisfaction when it was issued.

A lot of the dissatisfaction was due to some silliness that could be easily fixed with a firmware update.

I posted update requests from form members and subsequently sent the list to Panasonic. Panasonic never offered any of the requests as an update.

Unlike the OMD, I have not seen any real bug reports or heard of features that do not work properly. If I have forgotten some, please let me know. The camera just works.

3) many also complained that the VF had lost its autoswitch sensor (although this never bothered me, I had deactivated it on the G1).

I, like many, never liked the EVF autoswitch.

4) many others also complained that the grip had got smaller which made the handling of bigger and heavier zooms more difficult and less stable. and indeed, mounting the 100-300 on the G3 isn't ideal.

To sum up, the main reason for the upgrade was the sensor. But the handling is clearly worse than that of the G1. >

Having tried the G1, I prefer the G3 for the smaller form factor - one of the main reasons I bought it. I did not like the G1. I remember quite a few people saying the same thing. I use it just fine with the 100-300.

However, I do not remember any of the obsessive idolization that is being shown over the OMD. What are these people going to do when their beloved OMD becomes obsolete?

Allan

texinwien Veteran Member • Posts: 3,326

Allan Brown wrote:

However, I do not remember any of the obsessive idolization that is being shown over the OMD. What are these people going to do when their beloved OMD becomes obsolete?

Let's hope they're at least as graceful about it as you are

texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro OnePlus One Canon EOS 300D +20 more
Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 16,582

rrr_hhh wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

Well, there are possibly less owners of the G3 than the OM-D by now; it is also an older model which was more largely discussed last year.

That sounds like some serious straw grasping there.

There were quite a number of reasons of dissatisfaction when it was issued. I updated from a G1 to the G3 and there was more to dislike in the G3 ergonomic than in the G1; here is what people were complaining about when it was launched :

Dissatisfaction with design is much different than bugs/defects.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 16,582

Allan Brown wrote:

I, like many, never liked the EVF autoswitch.

Same here. I am glad the G3 doesn't automatically switch between EVF and LCD. The E-M5 has a sensor, but I turned it off and do the same as on the G3: I use the manual switch to use one or the other.

Some forums seem to attract that type of personality more than others. Before too long the E-M5 will be old hat and they will move on to a new obsession du jour.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

row1x Forum Member • Posts: 64

I have the G3 and like it a lot. I thought I had a problem and posted on this site back in June but later realized that I was not using the camera properly. While plastic electronics products feel cheaper, they are also better at absorbing shock. I am fine with how it feels and am happy with value the G3 offers. I purchased the body used for $375 late last year and have since purchased the 14-140 and the oly 9-18. I think the savings in body cost allows for me to buy a lot more lenses and have greater shooting options. I will stick with the G3 for at least until the sucessor of the OMD or the G5.

John

row1x's gear list:row1x's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A +1 more
texinwien Veteran Member • Posts: 3,326

row1x wrote:

While plastic electronics products feel cheaper, they are also better at absorbing shock.

That's an interesting statement, since there are many different types of plastics, as well as many different types of metal and metal alloys. I find it a little hard to believe that such a broad statement is true.

texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro OnePlus One Canon EOS 300D +20 more
row1x Forum Member • Posts: 64

I used to work in the industrial electronic data capture markets and many of those devices were plastic for that reason as well as lower cost. Metal transfers shock and the internal components would require more shock protection. I am inferring what I was told by the engineers at the time.

John

row1x's gear list:row1x's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A +1 more
webservants
webservants Senior Member • Posts: 1,002

The G3 is a nice little camera. I have a 5D mk2 and some nice L glass but the G3 is what I plan to take on an upcoming European trip. The size and weight made it a good travel kit.

Steven

webservants's gear list:webservants's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +1 more
vincent filomena
OP vincent filomena Veteran Member • Posts: 5,106
G3: Street/Stealth Shooter...

See my Gallery for examples:

The author mentions The G3s LCD/touch screen street shooting: all of the first G3 shots in my Gallery were shot, looking 90 degrees away from the subject just by squeezing the LCD screen between my thumb and fingers; the G3 instantly focuses where my thumb touched, anywhere on the LCD, and snaps the shot !

This camera just gets better and better...

Vjim

vincent filomena's gear list:vincent filomena's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro +1 more
sderdiarian Veteran Member • Posts: 4,229

Henry Richardson wrote:

Love to see a more detailed comparison based on your actual shooting experience, Henry. I find first-hand impressions a great supplement to technical reviews like we see in DPR.

Just quickly comparing the stats, the G3 is a phenomenal buy at $500.

G3 pluses:

• smaller than the E-M5: 4.53 x 3.31 x 1.85" @ 11.85 oz. vs. 4.8 x 3.5 x 1.69" @ 15 oz.

• fully articulated 3" touch-LCD vs. tilt 3" touch-OLED

• 1.4x magnification EVF vs. 1.15x EVF

• built-in flash vs. no flash

• $700 into price (and currently $500 w/kit lens) vs. $1000 intro price ($1100 w/kit 14-42)

E-M5 pluses:

• weather-sealed alloy body vs.plastic body w/ aluminum chassis

• 5 axis IBIS vs. no IBIS

• new Sony 16 MP sensor w/1 stop better DR vs Pan year old 16 MP sensor

• Olympus OOC JPEG quality

• appearance (subjective)

For me, I once would have thought lack of IBIS is a deal killer, but after using my E-PM1 for 8 months which basically doesn't have effective IBIS, I've learned I can manage fine without. The G3's inclusion of a very good EVF, fully articulated touch LCD and built-in flash at its size and price more than offset this for me.

It's the E-M5's better sensor and processing that really draw me to it, but not at its current price. If Panasonic finally figures out that they need to match Olympus processing/colors in the G5 and hold the line on price, they'll have something.

But this is all stat speculation. How do they both handle and how do their results compare in your opinion, Henry (and any others who have both)?

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +1 more
sderdiarian Veteran Member • Posts: 4,229

Henry Richardson wrote:

Allan Brown wrote:

Some forums seem to attract that type of personality more than others. Before too long the E-M5 will be old hat and they will move on to a new obsession du jour.

I recall great excitement over the G3 leading up to its introduction and afterwards people going to great lengths to locate and buy one immediately after release. The newer/better phenomenon which is simply human nature and upon which advertising lives and breathes, doesn't matter the item being pushed (camera, car, soda, politician).

The E-M5 is only now becoming widely available for purchase. Give it 6 months and reality will set in, particularly regarding price once the G-5 and GH3 are released. Clearly a great camera, but I can wait for the wave to crest, likely see some nice before-holiday sales.

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +1 more
andybryant
andybryant Regular Member • Posts: 122

rrr_hhh wrote:

1) the smaller thumb wheel : when you press it, it change between aperture and exp compensation or vice versa. When you turn it, you adjust one or the other; I have appreciated that system on the G1. Problem : the G3 wheel is a little hard to turn and easy to press, so you are constantly toggling between compensation and aperture instead of adjusting it. Really noyous. The G1 wheel had a better design and you weren't constantly shifting between the two controls inadvertently. This is getting worse with time and is now my main point of dissatisfaction with the G3.

1. 1 was one of the 2 reasons that killed the G3 for me. I've started using manual mode more often, and keep toggling between aperture and speed; or in A/S mode between program shift and exposure comp. The thumbwheel really is cheap and nasty (and a downgrade from the G2.

My #2 was the remote trigger port. On both of the Panasonic cameras I've owned (G2 + G3 the remote port became unreliable after 6 months or so). I don't know what it is about this interface on the Panasonic cameras, but it always seemed to depend on inserting the connector, then wiggling it around until it made a good connection.

A.
--
Encircle me on Google+ http://gplus.to/andybryant

andybryant's gear list:andybryant's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II +8 more
Allan Brown Senior Member • Posts: 2,758

rrr_hhh wrote:

My #2 was the remote trigger port. On both of the Panasonic cameras I've owned (G2 + G3 the remote port became unreliable after 6 months or so). I don't know what it is about this interface on the Panasonic cameras, but it always seemed to depend on inserting the connector, then wiggling it around until it made a good connection.

This is a common problem with this type of connector (a Phone plug), not just on the G3 but on all devices that use the phone plug - new or old.

I collect radios and most of the older transistor radios have this connector and the problem. I also have a MP3 player that is showing this issue.

Usually it is just a thin film of oxidation on the contacts and it can be cleaned off.

Spray some electronic contact cleaner on the plug and immediately insert it into the camera and rotate the plug in the socket a few times.

Yes, you should not have to do this but it is a design failure of the phone plug, not the camera.

I have made a few DIY remotes and not experienced the problem on either my FZ20 or G3 or my friend's GH2 - so far.

Allan

andybryant
andybryant Regular Member • Posts: 122

Allan Brown wrote:

rrr_hhh wrote:

Usually it is just a thin film of oxidation on the contacts and it can be cleaned off.

Spray some electronic contact cleaner on the plug and immediately insert it into the camera and rotate the plug in the socket a few times.

Good suggestion - although I'll add a warning for anyone else about to do the same... Make sure you've turned the camera off, and taken the battery out first - then wait for the cleaner to evaporate before powering it back up again.

I did this to a DECT phone with a similar connector forgetting to kill the power, and it damaged something in the headphone circuitry. Never worked reliably again.

Andy.
--
Encircle me on Google+ http://gplus.to/andybryant

andybryant's gear list:andybryant's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II +8 more
Davey1 Regular Member • Posts: 119

I'd much rather have a G3 + kit, 25 & 45 which I dare say you could pick up for less than the EM5.

The new pens will be much better value if you want the IBIS or sony sensor and I expect the GH3 to have a better feature set, less problems and keener pricing.

leendertcv Regular Member • Posts: 296

I'm very happy with the G3 and Panasonic 14mm f2.5, 20mm f1.7 and 100-300mm!
IQ under ISO3200 is very good!

vincent filomena wrote:

I'm surprised: I thought there'd be more G3 interest !

Vjim

leendertcv's gear list:leendertcv's gear list
Panasonic FZ2500
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads