Pixel BG-E11 draining battery

Started Jul 10, 2012 | Discussions
Yaamon Senior Member • Posts: 1,743
Pixel BG-E11 draining battery

I have no eyefi card or any accessories.

With 3 different sets of battery and the camera off if I insert a new set of charged battery and the Pixel BG-E11 grip is discharging the battery. By a few hours its down to 90% on one battery.

I have even removed the lens, charge up the battery and by the next morning it down to 80% charge on one battery and 90% on the other.

I have also used a different 3rd party grip on my 5D II with no issues that I still have.

I also used 3rd party grips on my previous camera with no issues like the 7D, 60D, and Nikon D7000.

The weird thing is that it discharges one battery faster than the other.

I contacted pixel support and they said to send back the grip.

Has anybody experienced this?

I sent another email asking what going to happen do they have new grips that dont have this issue or will the ebay seller refund my purchase.

This is too bad as I love the feel and construction of the grip.

Yaamon's gear list:Yaamon's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D90 Sony SLT-A35 Nikon D800 Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Blue II
Blue II Veteran Member • Posts: 3,646
Re: Pixel BG-E11 draining battery

I have the grip, but only had it on for a while as I didn't want to carry the grip on my vacation. Guess I'll put it back on and see how it behaves. Thanks for the head's up.

Do you leave the grip "on" all the time or turn it off?

Yaamon wrote:

I have no eyefi card or any accessories.

With 3 different sets of battery and the camera off if I insert a new set of charged battery and the Pixel BG-E11 grip is discharging the battery. By a few hours its down to 90% on one battery.

I have even removed the lens, charge up the battery and by the next morning it down to 80% charge on one battery and 90% on the other.

I have also used a different 3rd party grip on my 5D II with no issues that I still have.

I also used 3rd party grips on my previous camera with no issues like the 7D, 60D, and Nikon D7000.

The weird thing is that it discharges one battery faster than the other.

I contacted pixel support and they said to send back the grip.

Has anybody experienced this?

I sent another email asking what going to happen do they have new grips that dont have this issue or will the ebay seller refund my purchase.

This is too bad as I love the feel and construction of the grip.

-- hide signature --

Steve

10-75 Forum Member • Posts: 67

I have the grip and I'm very happy with it..... But, I went to use my camera last week and the batteries were dead with no explanation..... I haven't had the problem since ...... I sent Meike and e-mail and the told me that their engineers are working on it...... I have faith that they will fix it and this doesn't deter me at all from using an aftermarket grip rather than paying Canons ridiculous price.....I highly recommend the grip but if you are thinking of getting one, you may want to hold off until Meike sorts this out ........

Yaamon OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,743

I have not tried turning the grip switch off but I will do that now with a set of original canon batteries and check the battery in the morning.

I think Meike is selling the Pixel grip as I was not aware there was a 2nd manufacture of 3rd party grip at the moment.

to the other poster are you saying that your battery no longer drain from being in the grip it was only that one time?

If I take out the battery and place it in the camera the last percentage stays the same and this was 2 days ago.

I can assure that the pixel grip is discharging the battery as I also charged the same battery and place it in my 5D II grip(3rd party) and for a few days no drain.

When pixel responded they said I was the first owner to have that issue? I know it's not true as I have read other owners having the same issue and laso emailing pixel directly too.

I'm glad that they said just send the grip back and the ebay seller said they will send a correct working one.

My question does anybody have a pixel BG-E11 that does not drain the battery and was it just a few grip that was bad?

Mike921 Regular Member • Posts: 301

I have exactly the same problem, For me, the battery holder is the culprit. The 'left' (contacts on your right) battery well is the one with the problem. Since I can't return it maybe I'll disassemble and investigate further.

Mike921's gear list:Mike921's gear list
Canon PowerShot S400 Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III +11 more
Yes you are right. Right battery drains faster.

Mike921 wrote:

I have exactly the same problem, For me, the battery holder is the culprit. The 'left' (contacts on your right) battery well is the one with the problem. Since I can't return it maybe I'll disassemble and investigate further.

Yes you are correct that its the right battery that discharges faster.

Do you see a physical reason why ??

msadat Regular Member • Posts: 110
Re: Yes you are right. Right battery drains faster.

any news or resolution to this problem

msadat's gear list:msadat's gear list
Sony RX100 Leica S2 Canon EOS-1D X Nikon D800E Sony Alpha a99 +11 more
Tom Melanson
Tom Melanson Senior Member • Posts: 1,214

Unfortunately, so do I. The only difference is that my grip displays the battery charge in a strange way.

Both batteries show the same quick discharge, however, if you replace switch the batteries' position, you get the same but much LOWER reading after the switch! Put them back in changing the positions back again and the readings on both revert to the same higher number displayed when they were in that same position. Really weird IMHO.

Too bad because it seems to be well made, but obviously was never checked out properly. ;-(

Mike921 wrote:

-- hide signature --

(See equipment list under 'profile')

Tom Melanson's gear list:Tom Melanson's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +9 more
Mattblack Junior Member • Posts: 41

Ah crap why didn't I read this first before ordering

Just ordered on ebay and it's on it's way from China. I really don't want to have to send it back.

Anyone know if any of these grips do NOT have this defect or is it ALL of them?

Damn it.

Matt

Mattblack's gear list:Mattblack's gear list
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM
Tom Melanson

We're all waiting for the answer to that question!

Pixel Vertax has a presence in Hong Kong, a plant in another city in China and an office in the USA.
I've sent emails to both HK and US office and will see what happens.

Mattblack wrote:

Ah crap why didn't I read this first before ordering

Just ordered on ebay and it's on it's way from China. I really don't want to have to send it back.

Anyone know if any of these grips do NOT have this defect or is it ALL of them?

Damn it.

Matt

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +9 more
Tom good question

Pixel had instructed me to send it back to Hong Kong and not the ebay reseller.

I also got the same instructions from the ebay seller to send it to Hong Kong.

Now what is the postage going to be??

I will contact them and ask if I can send it to there NJ office.

I have not heard what they will do if they will be refunding me. the ebay seller says they will ship me a replacement asap but what if it has the same issue.

I hope everyone that has a Pixel BG-E11 grip can comment if they are also experiencing any battery drain problems.

Last night I put in a fresh charged canon battery in the grip and turned the grip switch off. When I get home I will check the status.

I can live with turning off the grip switch if that prevents battery drain.

Tom Melanson
Re: Tom good question

Won't help. Turning grip switch off does not solve problem.

Yaamon wrote:

-- hide signature --

Tom Melanson wrote:
Won't help. Turning grip switch off does not solve problem.

Yaamon wrote:

-- hide signature --

You are right came home and the battery is down.

Damm, and I love the feel and construction of the grip!!

Mattblack Junior Member • Posts: 41

Jesus, this issue is shocking! If even turning the power off doesn't help.

What if you take the battery out when it magically drains to 90% and put it into the camera directly? Does it still say 90% there? Maybe it's just reading it wrong in the grip?

Mattblack's gear list:Mattblack's gear list
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM
Tom Melanson

Just received this email from Pixel in Hong Kong:
"Hello,

I hope you have a good day! Sorry for causing the trouble to you!

Due to the 5D Mark III is shortage now ,we will replace a new one to you after it is available.

Thank you for your understanding!

Thanks and best regards!
Pixel Enterprise Limited"

It is still unclear as to whether or not they know how big the issue is and what exactly is the problem.

While the delay is annoying, at least there was a very quick response--within hours.

Yaamon wrote:

Pixel had instructed me to send it back to Hong Kong and not the ebay reseller.

I also got the same instructions from the ebay seller to send it to Hong Kong.

Now what is the postage going to be??

I will contact them and ask if I can send it to there NJ office.

I have not heard what they will do if they will be refunding me. the ebay seller says they will ship me a replacement asap but what if it has the same issue.

I hope everyone that has a Pixel BG-E11 grip can comment if they are also experiencing any battery drain problems.

Last night I put in a fresh charged canon battery in the grip and turned the grip switch off. When I get home I will check the status.

-- hide signature --

Blue II
Blue II Veteran Member • Posts: 3,646

Curious how you determined this. Seems it would be a (partial) short between two contacts. I thought of disassembling mine as well...for the cost and time of returning to Hong Kong, might be better to suck it up as a lessons learned and buy the Canon grip.

Mike921 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Steve

Tom Melanson

Did you notice this in the instructions? I didn't. (Duh)

"BE SURE TO ATTACH THE BATTERY GRIP TO THE CAMERA BEFORE INSERTING THE BATTERIES. THE RESULTS OF THE BATTERY CHECK MAY NOT BE DISPLAYED PROPERLY IF YOU ATTACH THE BATTERY GRIP WITH THE BATTERIES ALREADY INSIDE"

I had put the batteries in the grip before attaching it to the camera.

After fully recharging the batteries, removing the grip and the re-installing the empty grip, then inserting the batteries I checked the reading: 100%.

In my case, it's been about 27 hours now and the readout is still 100%.

Only time will tell.

Two days ago it would lose 20% of the charge in a couple of hours. I've got my fingers crossed.
--

My grip is always mounted on the body.

My grip is always mounted on the body and then I just remove the cartridge with the batteries.

For me after I charge the batteries I just slide the cartridge in with the batteries and they still drain.

I have 2 sets of original canon and after market batteries. All of them drain.

What I do now is charge up the batteries before a shoot and leave them in the cartridge and just before the shoot insert the cartridge in the grip.

Tom let me know if you have no more battery drain but I still do.

Tom Melanson
Re: My grip is always mounted on the body.

Yaamon wrote:

My grip is always mounted on the body and then I just remove the cartridge with the batteries.

For me after I charge the batteries I just slide the cartridge in with the batteries and they still drain.

I have 2 sets of original canon and after market batteries. All of them drain.

What I do now is charge up the batteries before a shoot and leave them in the cartridge and just before the shoot insert the cartridge in the grip.

Tom let me know if you have no more battery drain but I still do.

But did you do what I suggested? (Kill power, remove batt's, then remove grip, then put empty grip on camera THEN replace batteries.)
Try it and see what happens. Costs nothing and MIGHT work.
Meanwhile, now with over 30 hrs the batteries, 100% charge still stands.
--

-- hide signature --

That is my procedure.

I have always mounted the grip on the camera with no cartridge holding any batteries.

When I need to charge the batteries I just remove the cartridge and then charge the batteries and then reinsert the batteries into the cartridge and then into the grip.

I have also removed the grip a few times to test the same battery in the camera with no grip so I have repeated the procedure a few times. The last was four days ago when I tried with the grip switch off with the same battery drain results.

I always insert the grip into all my camera body and then insert the batteries separately.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads