Airline Carry-On Photo Backpack for DSLR & Equipment - Canon 200EG Too Small?

Started Jul 10, 2012 | Discussions
xlr8or New Member • Posts: 22
Airline Carry-On Photo Backpack for DSLR & Equipment - Canon 200EG Too Small?

I really did want to order the Canon Deluxe Photo Backpack 200EG to carry my gear based on the ratings on Amazon, the recommendations in various forum here, and since I'm on a budget. While in Best Buy, I noticed that they had this backpack available at twice the US$39.95 as available on Amazon.com. I'm a big guy, (> 300# and 6'1" tall), so I tried it on and I'm sure glad that I did. The pack rode up high on my shoulders no matter how much I loosened the shoulder straps. It rode so high that the chest/sternum strap was at about mid throat level (Adam's apple territory) - needless to say, it would be very uncomfortable to carry equipment around for any length of time with the 200EG.

I'm going on two airline trips next year and need a backpack that can carry at least the following equipment, some of which I plan on acquiring prior to the trip:

• Canon EOS 60D

• Canon 24-105L f4L IS USM

• Canon 70-200 f4L IS USM

• a 50mm prime lens

• SpeedLight

• various cleaning supplies (Rocket blower, etc.)

• SD cards

• and maybe a few other goodies

I would like to have some spare room in the pack to put a few other travel items since this would serve as one of my carry on pieces of luggage. I've also been looking at the Tamrac Aero Speed Pack 75 (3375), the Aero Speed Pack 85 (3385), and also the Lowepro Fastpacks 250 and 350, but these are really on the upper end of my budget. Can anyone recommend a pack of this type that would be suitable for what I would like to carry as well as would fit a larger person such as myself?

Thanks in advance!!

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS 60D
Canon 24-105L f4L IS USM

Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Robert Krawitz Contributing Member • Posts: 549
Re: Airline Carry-On Photo Backpack for DSLR & Equipment - Canon 200EG Too Small?

xlr8or wrote:

I really did want to order the Canon Deluxe Photo Backpack 200EG to carry my gear based on the ratings on Amazon, the recommendations in various forum here, and since I'm on a budget. While in Best Buy, I noticed that they had this backpack available at twice the US$39.95 as available on Amazon.com. I'm a big guy, (> 300# and 6'1" tall), so I tried it on and I'm sure glad that I did. The pack rode up high on my shoulders no matter how much I loosened the shoulder straps. It rode so high that the chest/sternum strap was at about mid throat level (Adam's apple territory) - needless to say, it would be very uncomfortable to carry equipment around for any length of time with the 200EG.

I'm going on two airline trips next year and need a backpack that can carry at least the following equipment, some of which I plan on acquiring prior to the trip:

• Canon EOS 60D

• a 50mm prime lens

• SpeedLight

• SD cards

I bought the Aktiv Pak AP400 from Amazon last year (about $60). I'm about 6'5", and I've been quite happy with it. It's very spacious inside, along with room for a 17" laptop. It's not the highest end backpack, but it fits with no serious trouble even in regional jets and prop craft. It would trivially fit that gear. I took it down to Salem, VA for the NCAA men's basketball Division III Final Four, with two bodies (20D and 7D), Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, Canon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 8-16, probably a couple of primes, flash, my laptop and (240W) power brick, flash, and a bunch of other stuff some of which was and some of which wasn't photography-related. By the time I was done, it probably weighed the better part of 30 lb (that was my stuff, including a very heavy laptop; the pack's not very heavy).

Robert Krawitz's gear list:Robert Krawitz's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX1 IS Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
William Woodruff Contributing Member • Posts: 537
Re: Airline Carry-On Photo Backpack for DSLR & Equipment - Canon 200EG Too Small?

Lowepro Compudaypack (got mine at Best Buy)

Holds my 7D, 17-55, 70-200 f4, 10-24, and a laptop with room left for all necessary chargers, spare batteries, etc. Comfortable enough for long days out on your feet.
--
WLW

William Woodruff's gear list:William Woodruff's gear list
Canon EOS M
CameraCarl Veteran Member • Posts: 5,900

Try to see if you can still find the LowePro Micro Trekker. I believe it has been discontinued. I'm 6'1" and it fits me fine.

OP xlr8or New Member • Posts: 22
Tamrac Aero Speed Pack and Lowepro Fastpack

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I also failed to mention that I would like to be able to carry the 60D with an attached 70-200 zoom in the pack as well.

Are there any large individuals out there like me who are using any version of either the Tamrac Aero Speed Pack or Lowepro Fastpack and can give a report of how they fit across your shoulders when loaded with gear? Are there

Thanks in advance!

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS 60D
Canon 24-105L f4L IS USM

Jeager76 New Member • Posts: 22
Re: Tamrac Aero Speed Pack and Lowepro Fastpack

Look up Clik Elite. They have a venture 35 which I am using for going to Africa. No frills doesn't really look like a camera pack and is pretty well constructed. They have lots of packs available and their website has video demonstrations of them.

CameraCarl Veteran Member • Posts: 5,900
Re: Tamrac Aero Speed Pack and Lowepro Fastpack

One suggestion regardless what bag you get: Don't travel with the camera attached to the lens. If you should happen to drop the bag, there is a greater chance of damaging the mount if the lens is attached to the camera. Keep them separate while you travel and then hook them up when you need them.

ryan2007 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,001

Think Tank makes nice bags.

I have the Street Walker Hard drive since I needed to take the laptop. They have a series of "Airport" bags too. Very well made and worth every penny.

I also bought Domke lens wraps for the lenses that fit when not attached for added padding. They are a versatile accessory I even use to store a camcorder mic in the camera bag.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/streetwalker-harddrive-backpack.aspx

http://www.tiffen.com/results.html?search_type_no=435&tablename=domke

xlr8or wrote:

• Canon EOS 60D

• a 50mm prime lens

• SpeedLight

• SD cards

I would like to have some spare room in the pack to put a few other travel items since this would serve as one of my carry on pieces of luggage. I've also been looking at the Tamrac Aero Speed Pack 75 (3375), the Aero Speed Pack 85 (3385), and also the Lowepro Fastpacks 250 and 350, but these are really on the upper end of my budget. Can anyone recommend a pack of this type that would be suitable for what I would like to carry as well as would fit a larger person such as myself?

Thanks in advance!!

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS 60D
Canon 24-105L f4L IS USM

gdanmitchell
gdanmitchell Veteran Member • Posts: 7,730

Don't skimp on a bag you'll use for flying and carrying on your back - you'll regret it.

There are a bunch of brands and models out there. I have a few Lowepro bags and I've been impressed with their quality... and with their support when I had a problem with one bag.

I also have a Think Tank Airport Acceleration bag that I use for my primary storage and gear bag. While would not want to hike a lot with it, for working out of the car or placing in the overhead bin, this is a great bag.

I don't know if they make a bag like you want, but Crumpler also is a fine manufacturer.

Dan

Allan Rossmore Regular Member • Posts: 414

All of the above suggestions sound good. I have been a Lowepro fan for years and would recommend them. Very well designed.

I think you should also consider where you will be traveling. If in the US, then most any of the mentioned bags will work, as long as they can fit in the overhead bins on the airplane.

If you are going overseas, then be aware that if you travel in Europe especially, that the weight of carry on bags, especially in coach class, can be highly restricted, usually no more than 6 kilos.

Also, if you do travel widely overseas, I would prefer to have a bag that doesn't look like a camera bag. When I do that, I travel with just a plain backpack and use cases for the camera and lenses well wrapped with clothing in the bag and it works fine, saves weight and doesn't stand out.

I usually travel with 1 Canon 40D, a Tamron 18-270 VC as primary lens, a Canon 10-22 wide angle, and a Sigma 30 1,4, for low light and a small flash and table top tripod. This kit covers 99% of what I need. I also have a small day pack which folds right up into a pouch and weighs almost nothing, but everything fits in there, so I can leave the larger backpack in the hotel. or on the ship, or whatever. Works good for me.
--
Allan R

KWEnz Regular Member • Posts: 369

You may like to read the replies in this thread, there are some good suggestions:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=40395298
--
Ken

KWEnz's gear list:KWEnz's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +14 more
Hoefie Regular Member • Posts: 279

Without ANY doubt (for me): think tank airport antidote v2. It s worth EVERY euro (or penny)
I have several smaller bags/backpacks/slingbag.

I use the think tank aiport antidote v2 to take all my gear as a carry on (don t want to check my gear in), and when i arrive at destination, for city walk, visiting, as i dont t need all my gear, i take only what i need or want, and use one of my other smaller bags that i have put in my suitecase, for the day or night walk.

i even can take it on lowcost budget airlines as ryan air, jetair, and other similar "airlines" where they have the worst restrictions.

I use it also when traveling by car. I like to have all mu gear available, even if i will only one or 2 lenses....

Regards from belgium

Hoefie's gear list:Hoefie's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 60D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +7 more
M J Valentine Senior Member • Posts: 1,260

Hi,

Just a thought, a black military / photographers' jacket (not camouflaged) with large pockets would help. I have used a UK black MoD jacket (purchased at an airshow) and its pockets can easily accommodate a DSLR, short lenses and a flash gun.

Martyn

M J Valentine wrote:

Hi,

Just a thought, a black military / photographers' jacket (not camouflaged) with large pockets would help. I have used a UK black MoD jacket (purchased at an airshow) and its pockets can easily accommodate a DSLR, short lenses and a flash gun.

Martyn

Abou jacket with large pockets: you have to look for http://www.scottevest.com

They only sell online. I am such a big fan of it, i even have ordered some of their jackets and have it shipped over the ocean to belgium.

There are several great reviews online, and amazing youtube videos of fans and customers.

I can fit everyhting i have inside those jackets.... Just AMAZING

I m not affiliated with any of these brands ! I m just a big fan of think tank and scottevest

Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 60D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +7 more
Apple Valley Forum Member • Posts: 90

Spending a week in Kiev, Ukraine from the states and travelling with toploader with lens case and accessory case and it holds 1ds mkiii, 5d mkii, 24-70, 40(on 5d mkii) and 24-105 along with rode microphone, and accessories and travels fine as a camera under seat and does not count toward carry-on.
--
http://www.takenbyteiken.com

Apple Valley's gear list:Apple Valley's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +3 more
M J Valentine Senior Member • Posts: 1,260

I'd suggest searching for 'British Army SAS black jacket'. You shouldn't need to pay more than £20 for unused surplus stock.

Hoefie wrote:

M J Valentine wrote:

Hi,

Martyn

Abou jacket with large pockets: you have to look for http://www.scottevest.com

They only sell online. I am such a big fan of it, i even have ordered some of their jackets and have it shipped over the ocean to belgium.

There are several great reviews online, and amazing youtube videos of fans and customers.

I can fit everyhting i have inside those jackets.... Just AMAZING

I m not affiliated with any of these brands ! I m just a big fan of think tank and scottevest

M J Valentine wrote:

I'd suggest searching for 'British Army SAS black jacket'. You shouldn't need to pay more than £20 for unused surplus stock.

Thanks for the info.

In fact, for educational purposes, and for the” Duty of Remembrance”, I take part in WWII reenactments as a WWII soldier of the 101st Airborne.

Every year I go to Bastogne (Ardennes in Belgium) for the Anniversary of the Battle of the Bulge, and I also went in Normandy (France).

I have a complete outfit of their uniform used during the period of the Landings till the winter; and one of their winter uniform used during the Battle of the Bulge and later on.

The paratroopers of the 101st AB wore jackets with extra pockets, and these were also very large. The "cargo" type pants (jumpsuits) could also hold a lot of items. Probably even more than the British SAS jackets you are referring.

I could eventually use these jackets to carry all my photographic items; however, out of respect, and as I don’t "play" soldier at war as some do, I only wear these jackets and/or pants during festivities and commemorations.

But I can heavily emphasis that I can carry a lot more items with the Scottevests, and with a lot more of comfort.

I agree that some of their stuff is a bit expensive; but isn’t it with everything related to photography ?

Regards from a very rainy Belgium.

Kevin Jorgensen Contributing Member • Posts: 745

Here's the thing, don't know what its like over your way but 3 weeks ago a budget airline I've travelled with for years did something they've never done before, they weighed the carry on luggage of all passengers! No bag is to be over 6 kgs and the carry on limit is 10kgs in 2 bags, 7kgs for domestic flights. I suppose it had to come because the time before I had my Lowepro slingshot and computer bag as carry on and while the staff were debating how much to charge me for being 3kgs over on my check in luggage I rested my carry ons on the conveyor. 23kgs! Fortunately for me they didn't notice but alas I think those days are gone. This trip I had my wife with me and she carried on my computer bag. Don't know what the future holds for photographers because they now want to know if you have a computer or anything of value in your check in luggage as well. Will be interested to hear other people's recent experiences with airlines.

Kevin Jorgensen's gear list:Kevin Jorgensen's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +2 more

Kevin Jorgensen wrote:

Here's the thing, don't know what its like over your way but 3 weeks ago a budget airline I've travelled with for years did something they've never done before, they weighed the carry on luggage of all passengers! No bag is to be over 6 kgs and the carry on limit is 10kgs in 2 bags, 7kgs for domestic flights. I suppose it had to come because the time before I had my Lowepro slingshot and computer bag as carry on and while the staff were debating how much to charge me for being 3kgs over on my check in luggage I rested my carry ons on the conveyor. 23kgs! Fortunately for me they didn't notice but alas I think those days are gone. This trip I had my wife with me and she carried on my computer bag. Don't know what the future holds for photographers because they now want to know if you have a computer or anything of value in your check in luggage as well. Will be interested to hear other people's recent experiences with airlines.

I had the same experience. One time, while my airport antidote v2 doesn t exceed the maximum size, when i have everything inside it weighs more then 12 or 15kg.
They weighted it, and wanted me to pay, as the maximum allowed is 6kg.
I refused to pay, and put 50% of my gear in the pockets of my scottevest.

They could not believe it, but they could not charge me anything because there is no maximum on what you carry on yourself...
You should have seen their faces !

Howard S Senior Member • Posts: 2,132

Allan Rossmore wrote:

All of the above suggestions sound good. I have been a Lowepro fan for years and would recommend them. Very well designed.

I think you should also consider where you will be traveling. If in the US, then most any of the mentioned bags will work, as long as they can fit in the overhead bins on the airplane.

If you are going overseas, then be aware that if you travel in Europe especially, that the weight of carry on bags, especially in coach class, can be highly restricted, usually no more than 6 kilos.

Also, if you do travel widely overseas, I would prefer to have a bag that doesn't look like a camera bag. When I do that, I travel with just a plain backpack and use cases for the camera and lenses well wrapped with clothing in the bag and it works fine, saves weight and doesn't stand out.

You may be shocked to hear that most of us live in countries which you consider to be "overseas" and we use camera bags to carry our gear quite happily.

I usually travel with 1 Canon 40D, a Tamron 18-270 VC as primary lens, a Canon 10-22 wide angle, and a Sigma 30 1,4, for low light and a small flash and table top tripod. This kit covers 99% of what I need. I also have a small day pack which folds right up into a pouch and weighs almost nothing, but everything fits in there, so I can leave the larger backpack in the hotel. or on the ship, or whatever. Works good for me.
--
Allan R

Howard S's gear list:Howard S's gear list
Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads