650D: I'm starting to become seriously impressed

Started Jul 9, 2012 | Discussions
R2D2 Forum Pro • Posts: 19,426
650D: I'm starting to become seriously impressed

Hi all,

Last weekend I was out with the new camera putting it through its paces shooting BIFs (a very challenging subject for the shooter And the camera). Its AF acquisition, tracking ability, and focus accuracy were excellent IMHO. I felt that the IQ was also very good. I posted some samples in this thread...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1031&thread=41939641

Well, yesterday was spent with my sister's family, and I got to take her kids out on their very first fishing expedition (off the end of the dock). After we cleaned the worm juice and fish slime out of our hair (ahem), we sat out on the patio enjoying the beautiful day. Keeping the faith I of course grabbed the 650D and started taking some casual snaps.

I had the new 18-55 IS II kit lens on, and was shooting it wide open (we were in the shade late in the day), and were just sitting across the table from each other. Now even with just the kit lens, I found the PDAF to be pretty snappy (noisy of course, but snappy). It was also Very accurate, and showed no signs of FF/BF or inconsistency. All in all, I was very satisfied with the entire shooting experience, especially now that I had a new superfast SDHC card loaded into it (highly recommend you do this).

Well, when I got the photos loaded on my computer today, I was really even more impressed (with the Lens AND the Sensor ). These were shot in RAW, converted in DPP, sent to Photoshop as 16 bit aRGB TIFFs, and uploaded to the web as compressed JPEGs. No noise reduction was applied, no in-camera sharpening (sharpening was done as a last step in Photoshop).

Shot at 1/125 sec @ f5.0, ISO 400 at 40mm...

And a 100% crop here...

As I get more time, I'll try to add more samples.

Hope this helps in your evaluation.

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.

http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS M6 II
Canon EOS Rebel T4i (EOS 650D / EOS Kiss X6i) Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
RanL Regular Member • Posts: 113
Re: 650D: I'm starting to become seriously impressed

Thanks for sharing your impressions. And that's a very nice picture.
Did you observe any improvement in dynamic range, compared to previous Rebels?
Cheers,
Ran

OP R2D2 Forum Pro • Posts: 19,426
A few more pics...

Here are a couple more from the weekend.

This first shot is a Still taken while shooting video (image comes out in 16:9 format: 5184x3456 pixels). Video was shot in Manual Mode 1/30 sec @ f5.0 (18-55 IS II kit lens wide open), ISO 400 at 44mm, manually focused (that kit lens is waaay too noisy for AF'ing videos). The still was recorded in RAW, converted in DPP, sent to Photoshop as a 16 bit aRGB TIFF, and uploaded to the web as a compressed JPEG...

These others were photographed normally (as stills)...

This one I underexposed by two stops (on purpose), then pushed two stops in DPP...

Note: The red cheeks were due to a looong day in the sun (fishing, boating, tubing, swimming, more fishing...). It was a fun weekend.

Thanks for looking!

R2

-- hide signature --

Digirame Forum Pro • Posts: 37,017
Re: A few more pics...

Your pictures are super nice. It's good to see people use their cameras and do so well.

Hi Ran, thanks.

RanL wrote:

Thanks for sharing your impressions. And that's a very nice picture.

Thanks Ran. The kids just ham it up in front of the camera! No work on my part, LOL!

Did you observe any improvement in dynamic range, compared to previous Rebels?

Well, I don't own any other Rebels (came from a 50D/30D). But this Rebel caught my eye due to the well-implemented video, the improved AF, and the faster framerate. It's proven to be a very capable all-round camera though IMHO. And the more I shoot it, the more impressed I get (a very good thing!!).

I did do a little casual testing though this weekend. The second shot of my Nephew (above) I underexposed by two stops. Then I pushed it by two stops in DPP (brought the "brightness" slider up two stops). To my eye the image holds up very well (this was shot at ISO 400). Here is a 100% crop of it...

As I shoot more, I'm sure I'll gain a better idea of how far the Dynamic Range can be pushed, as well as other aspects of the 650D's IQ, but for now all I can definitively say is that it is inarguably better than the 50D and its 15 MP sensor.

R2

-- hide signature --

MAC Forum Pro • Posts: 14,221

Nice! I'm also enjoying my 60d _ 15-85 IS and 55-250 IS. These cameras and lenses are best values out there.

MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS Rebel T7i Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +10 more
Re: A few more pics...

Digirame wrote:

Your pictures are super nice. It's good to see people use their cameras and do so well.

Thanks Digirame. It helps when you have such willing subjects!

I hope to capture some bugs next (when it cools off some). I get the feeling this camera should do great out in the garden.

R2

-- hide signature --

MAC wrote:

Nice! I'm also enjoying my 60d _ 15-85 IS and 55-250 IS. These cameras and lenses are best values out there.

Thanks MAC. That's a great combo there. Both of those lenses have such a useful range. I wouldn't mind owning either.

Just yesterday a local nature center instructor was showing me the butterflies she shot with the 55-250 + 250D close up lens. They were beautiful.

Happy shooting,
R2

-- hide signature --

Flying Fish Veteran Member • Posts: 4,476

Great shots. That little girl is a serious ham. You know, I recently got a 550D (T2i) as a backup for my 7D, and I find myself using the 7D less and less often; I use it now only when I know I'm going to need its speed. Of course, its speed, including AF, is wonderful when I do need it, but the 550D does a whole lot and very well. I'm sure the 650D is even better. I wonder what's next?

FF

Flying Fish's gear list:Flying Fish's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM +2 more
DSHAPK Contributing Member • Posts: 782

Beautiful. Great job.

DSHAPK's gear list:DSHAPK's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS Rebel T4i Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 II USM +3 more
EDWARD ARTISTE Regular Member • Posts: 178

I concur. I am processing a shoot i did two weeks ago with a t2i. While i do miss the absolute sharpness of the xsi, its simply a great cam- pure gangbusters.

Still not sure what to do with the 7d. Seems to work better after 3 repairs, but its tainted

Flying Fish wrote:

Great shots. That little girl is a serious ham. You know, I recently got a 550D (T2i) as a backup for my 7D, and I find myself using the 7D less and less often; I use it now only when I know I'm going to need its speed. Of course, its speed, including AF, is wonderful when I do need it, but the 550D does a whole lot and very well. I'm sure the 650D is even better. I wonder what's next?

FF

-- hide signature --

'Only the dead have seen the end of war'

EDWARD ARTISTE's gear list:EDWARD ARTISTE's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M +2 more
Corne Ferreira Contributing Member • Posts: 656

EDWARD ARTISTE wrote:

Still not sure what to do with the 7d. Seems to work better after 3 repairs, but its tainted

Yep I have the same issue first 7D junk, two trips to canon later it got replaced, the replacment is a lot better than the original but still not great to the point I would defend it like a lo on this site. Its a good camera thats it. I stopped using it found my 5DII so much better that there was no use did less than 1000 photos with it in one year. 5dII > 10000. Got the 650 as a cheap throw around for the car with the twin kit now im hooked on it 5D has seen no use the 7d has been used for comparisons and the 650 had > 2000 on the clock the more I use it the more I like it. It will never replace my 5D its not that good but for my everyday walk around camera it is 100% what I wanted and then some.

friends all think its a joke they love their 7Ds and cannot believe mines gatering dust, funny how I have offerd it cheap yet none of them has taken the offer, gues its not as clear cut as some make it out to be. im selling the 7D and puting the money in the bank till a 7dII comes out then if things have improved i might try again.

guitarjeff Senior Member • Posts: 1,336

But the question is, is it worth upgrading for the money. 8 or 900 bucks is a huge amount of money for me.

I have a 450D XSI and a 500D T1i and I love them. The only real thing I don't like is that neither has the cross type focus points anywhere but the center, so i would love to upgrade to either 50D, 60D, 7D, or now the 650D, because I use the other focus points while doing portraits. My 450D and 500D do fine most of the time even with using the single line focus points. I am quite happy with my 450D and 500D IQ. The first pic is the 450D with the efs-60mm macro lens on it at ISO 400, and the second pic is the 500D with the Sigma 30 1.4 on it Not sure of the setting but the aperture was 1.8 and shutter probably 1/80.

So I don't think I can see the spending of many hundreds of dollars on the 650D over the 450 and 500D bodies.

totleytom Contributing Member • Posts: 554

I've got a 500D/T1i and I'm beginning to think that this 650D is the one I'll upgrade to - I ignored the 550D & 600D. I think the list of incremental improvements have now got long enough to persuade me. The ones I particularly like are:
a) a bit more resolution (not a major point, but not to be ignored);
b) less noise;
c) higher ISOs available if required;
d) flash command;
e) better AF;
f) I like the touchscreen!

totleytom's gear list:totleytom's gear list
Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM | C Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM
TTMartin
TTMartin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,304
7D bashing belongs in the Canon EOS 7D / 60D - 10D forum

7D bashing belongs in the Canon EOS 7D / 60D - 10D forum

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 400D +26 more

guitarjeff wrote:

But the question is, is it worth upgrading for the money. 8 or 900 bucks is a huge amount of money for me.

Hi 'Jeff.

So much depends on what you shoot and how you shoot it. Some of the upgraded features may not apply to your style of shooting at all. Others you might find indespensible.

i would love to upgrade to either 50D, 60D, 7D, or now the 650D, because I use the other focus points while doing portraits.

I can say that the 650D autofocuses as well as my 50D. I don't know how it compares to the other Rebels though. The IQ is also a bit better than my 50D.

I am quite happy with my 450D and 500D IQ.

IMHO the IQ from any of the recent DSLRs is so good that it is often the other factors that come into play more when choosing a new body.

So I don't think I can see the spending of many hundreds of dollars on the 650D over the 450 and 500D bodies.

LOL, you may have to wait Decades to upgrade now!

Happy shooting,
R2

-- hide signature --

Chromavisphoto
Chromavisphoto New Member • Posts: 11

I am very impressed with the camera so far as well. I came from a Nikon D90 and I can say for certain that the T4i is FAR better. Obviously being a newer camera you would expect it to be so but even so, the image quality is no comparison. I posted some shots taken my first week with the camera in my gallery here:

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/7495572491/albums/sigma-17-70mm-f-2-8-4-dc-os-macro-hsm

I've paired the camera with the Sigma 17-70mm F/2.8-4 DC OS Macro HSM lens (an excellent lens in my opinion) and have captured what i consider to be outstanding quality images. I've downsized the images in my gallery to 1600pixels but if you click on the original size and look at the 1600 pixel images you can still see fantastic detail. I shot a range of images from low ISO to high ISO. Some of my favorites would be these:

Chromavisphoto's gear list:Chromavisphoto's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T4i Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM
DSHAPK Contributing Member • Posts: 782

Nice shots. I only had my camera for a few days...Canon is now replacing the grip on it.

DSHAPK's gear list:DSHAPK's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS Rebel T4i Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 II USM +3 more
Hi FF

Flying Fish wrote:

Great shots. That little girl is a serious ham.

Thanks FF. She is a wonder.

You know, I recently got a 550D (T2i) as a backup for my 7D, and I find myself using the 7D less and less often

LOL! Y'know, I haven't picked up the 50D since I got this camera (I put 50k + shots through that 50D, and loved every minute of it). I've been telling myself that I'm just putting the 650D through its paces, testing its capabilities and that's why I've been taking it wherever I go.

But you know what? It's excelled at everything I've done with it. Now I can't really see taking my 50D out except for when I need the deep buffer (for BIFs etc). I knew going in that the 650D had the potential to be quite good (improved AF, framerate, sensor etc) but I certainly didn't expect it to immediately take the place of the still Very capable 50D. Been an eye-opener for me. Well, I gotta go test a 24-105 f4L IS. Every lens I've had on the new camera so far has been right on.

Cheers FF, and thanks for the kind comments.
R2

-- hide signature --

DSHAPK wrote:

Beautiful. Great job.

Thanks DSHAPK. I know you hold this camera in high regard too. I hope yours gets back soon.

R2

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads