Settings for Shooting RAW Format @ 20 megapixels on D800

Started Jul 8, 2012 | Discussions
aquarta Regular Member • Posts: 138
Settings for Shooting RAW Format @ 20 megapixels on D800

Hello everyone,

I believe I have the answer to the following question but I just want to confirm with fellow D800 users.

After reviewing the user's manual, it appears that if one desires to shoot 20 Megapixels in RAW format, the "image area" needs to be set at 1.2x and not FX. Is this correct? So if that is the case, that means I'm not actually shooting "full frame" and the sides will be cropped and also the "crop factor" will apply. So if I'm shooting with a 50mm lens, I'm actually shooting 50mm x 1.2

My original intention was to set the "image area" to FX (based on the menu settings) and then set the "image quality" to "RAW" hence 20 megapixels. However, this doesn't seem possible because the "image size" is greyed out in the menu when trying to do the following:

1. Image Area = "FX"
2. Image Quality = "RAW"
3. Image Size

Am I understanding this correctly or perhaps I'm doing something incorrectly? Any help, explanation, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
rotoscope
rotoscope Junior Member • Posts: 33
Re: Settings for Shooting RAW Format @ 20 megapixels on D800

If you want to use the full frame (FX) then your only options are 12/14 and compression level. You cannot choose a smaller RAW file size.

rotoscope's gear list:rotoscope's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM +5 more
OP aquarta Regular Member • Posts: 138

To to clarify, I can only shoot 36mp in FX mode and use either 12 or 14 bit. Otherwise my only other option is reducing the "image area" by choosing 1.2x thus the ability to shoot @ 20mp but also sacrificing full frame and enabling "crop factor" mode (which means not everything I will see in the viewfinder will be captured.

wy2lam Veteran Member • Posts: 3,339

To clarify, it's impossible on any Nikon body, past and present, to have any RAW picture with reduced resolution except in a crop mode.

This cannot be remedied with any setting, because it's just impossible.

aquarta wrote:

To to clarify, I can only shoot 36mp in FX mode and use either 12 or 14 bit. Otherwise my only other option is reducing the "image area" by choosing 1.2x thus the ability to shoot @ 20mp but also sacrificing full frame and enabling "crop factor" mode (which means not everything I will see in the viewfinder will be captured.

wy2lam's gear list:wy2lam's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS35EXR Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +9 more
Guidenet
Guidenet Forum Pro • Posts: 15,748

aquarta wrote:

What on earth are you trying to do? More importantly why? Just shoot in FX and if you want less of an image, crop it in post. If you want a smaller file size choose Lossy or 12 bit. I'm not at all sure why anyone would want to lower the resolution of this camera to 20 mpx, but go ahead.

I think it is smarter to shoot maxed out. 36 megapixels and compressed lossless RAW. Then, if you wish something smaller, go ahead and do that in your computer. You can always throw away pixels. You can't add them after the fact.

Why not consider a different camera too? A nice D7000 has a higher pixel density and more manageable file sizes if that's a problem. You get a 1.5 crop factor and what you see in the viewfinder is what you get. It seems to me you're trying to make a D800 into a D7000 for some strange reason. Help me to understand what and why you want to do what you're asking about.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig

Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 +31 more
michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 16,149

FYI, I believe 1.2x crop mode is 25 MP, not 20.

There are also indicators in the viewfinder for your crop settings so that you can compose your frame and not lose anything.
--
Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon D850 Fujifilm X-E3 +39 more
LO Rivera Junior Member • Posts: 42

aquarta wrote:

Hello everyone,

I believe I have the answer to the following question but I just want to confirm with fellow D800 users.

After reviewing the user's manual, it appears that if one desires to shoot 20 Megapixels in RAW format, the "image area" needs to be set at 1.2x and not FX. Is this correct? So if that is the case, that means I'm not actually shooting "full frame" and the sides will be cropped and also the "crop factor" will apply. So if I'm shooting with a 50mm lens, I'm actually shooting 50mm x 1.2

My original intention was to set the "image area" to FX (based on the menu settings) and then set the "image quality" to "RAW" hence 20 megapixels. However, this doesn't seem possible because the "image size" is greyed out in the menu when trying to do the following:

1. Image Area = "FX"
2. Image Quality = "RAW"
3. Image Size

Am I understanding this correctly or perhaps I'm doing something incorrectly? Any help, explanation, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone

I am a 4 years late, but according to Nikon full 36 x 24 sensor use resolutions do include a 36MP, 20MP and 9MP sizes for Large, Medium, and Small resolutions respectively.

-- hide signature --

LO Rivera
Photographer/Graphic Artist

www.lorivera.com

LO Rivera's gear list:LO Rivera's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G +5 more
romfordbluenose Veteran Member • Posts: 5,357

Why not resurrect a 4 year old thread. The L,M,S sizes refer to the resulting in camera JPEG mp count when converted in camera.

romfordbluenose's gear list:romfordbluenose's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads