Alternative to Nikon MB-d12 - Got One!

Started Jul 6, 2012 | Discussions
Gabriele Sartori Veteran Member • Posts: 4,279
Come on, they didn't invent the cure for cancer

Look, I do have several patents myself and I'm very respectful of Intellectual Property but these devices have been in the market since the D100 came out and much earlier with the motor. There isn't a bit of innovation or idea here. Most you can say is that the industrial design (the look) has been copied. Nikon is selling them at an outrageous price and this open up the door to other makers that are selling to people that is probably making an ocasional use and they can't pay all that money for this piece of plastic. I can agree with you that these products should be stop at the border for the stealing of the industrial design but nothing more than that really, they have been around for ever.

-- hide signature --

Regards
Gabriele
California, CA

 Gabriele Sartori's gear list:Gabriele Sartori's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon D800E Leica M Typ 240 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Nikon 1 J1 +2 more
TFergus
TFergus Veteran Member • Posts: 6,188
Re: Alternative to Nikon MB-d12 - Got One!

Karl H. Timmerman M.A.J.D. wrote:

So "Bob" spent a bunch of time and money to develop a product he thought was useful, would help folks share their view of this reality. Puts it up for sale, sets a price that would offset the money he spent developing it, and make a modest profit ... so he could feed his family, (shareholders). Takes the risk, that what he thought was useful ... isn't, and could loose the money he spent. "Fred", sees that folks think "Bobs" idea is useful, and are buying "Bobs" product, and makes a copy of it, sells it for 1/4 of what "Bob" sells it for and makes a profit, (feeds his family/shareholders), because ... he didn't have to spent the money perfecting/developing it. Then folks condemn "Bob" for selling what he developed because "Fred" can sell it for 1/4 of the price?

I prefer to buy from "Bob" and help him feed his family/shareholders because "Bob" will improve the product, make it better, more useful, FOR ME.

Not to mention... if Bob's product were to malfunction (as electronics tend to do) and it messes up larger item that it connects to (also made by Bob)... Bob will work with you to fix it.
Fred will just say "oh well, you knew there was no warranty".

I know for sure that if I do eventually get a $3,000 D800 or the D400 when it's released... I'm not going to trust a $50 "eBay" accessory on it.

M Lammerse
M Lammerse Forum Pro • Posts: 11,397
Re: NOT two EL - 15 batteries as the photos show

Thanks for mentioning,

Basically for me as probable many others. The only benefit (I don't look at a price myself, I look at a need/functionality) this cheap one has over the original one, that of using 2 batteries is not there.

The original one is very well build, it offers 1 battery extra and you can use a D4 battery with it as well. It has no leakage problems and the connection with the body is perfect.

Michel

FlossTycoon wrote:

I found product photos at this site. If you look at the battery holder there is only room for ONE EL-15 battery in the holder.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/NEW-PIXEL-Vertax-MB-D12-Battery-Grip-for-NIKON-D800-PRE-ORDER/909153_581843967.html

I guess they mean if you have one battery in the camera body and one in the grip you have two EL-15 batteries to use. This is exactly the same as the Nikon arrangement but around 25% of the Nikon price.

Check out these photos before you order.

-- hide signature --

Alan, in Montana

-- hide signature --

  • To observe without evaluation is the highest form of human intelligence -

http://www.fotopropaganda.com
http://www.fotopropaganda.com/blog
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9240992@N05/ (my pixel mess on flikr)

2005magnum Veteran Member • Posts: 4,473
Re: NOT two EL - 15 batteries as the photos show

These knock off grips only hold one battery. The other battery remains in the camera. Therefore, you do have the support and use of 2 batteries while shooting.

If the Nikon grip was about $200, I would have been more likely to buy it. However, I only use a grip for event photography where I am moving quickly, taking a lot of images and continually moving the camera between landscape and portrait. I regularly shoot about 5-6 events per year shot handheld (I would not use these knock off grips on a tripod). The knock offs are just fine for this kind of use. If I left the grip on the camera and/or regularly used a tripod, I probably would have bought the Nikon grip. For casual use the Meike is just fine.
--
http://digitalphotonut.zenfolio.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/61931648@N02/?saved=1

TFergus
TFergus Veteran Member • Posts: 6,188
Re: Alternative to Nikon MB-d12 - Got One!
1

Michael Harvey wrote:

The Op says he won't buy any lens that doesn't say "Nikon" on it.
Totally bypassing the fact that there are some better lenses out there.

But will put a plastic, Chinese made, $70 (yes OP, you overpaid) "eBay" grip on his $3,000 camera.
I guess principles can be bought.> >

Y'know...I should expect to see comments like this from arrogant little minds.

That's funny... because it was you that said:

"I'd be lying if I didn't admit to being something of an "optical snob"! I don't buy second tier lenses or other accessories. If it doesn't have a Nikon or Nikkor label on it - fuggetaboutit!"

It was your arrogant little mind we were making fun of.

Still - it's annoying.

What will be annoying is the lag you feel when you hit that grip's button in portrait mode and the shutter release isn't instant.

Be sure to report back when that starts happening on your $49 grip.... because it will.
You should read the reviews.

Which reminds me, make sure the dial adjustments spin the same way as the camera dials... not always the case.

Just another reason these eBay models aren't all that possible, even in the beginner's forum.

hypercore360 Contributing Member • Posts: 991
Re: Alternative to Nikon MB-d12 - Got One!

Ding ding ding!

This is the real issue or rather reason for considering the OEM MB-D12.

brianric wrote:

Report back after using D800 with your new grip installed in heavy rain

 hypercore360's gear list:hypercore360's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +2 more
TFergus
TFergus Veteran Member • Posts: 6,188
Re: Alternative to Nikon MB-d12 - Got One!

hypercore360 wrote:

Ding ding ding!

This is the real issue or rather reason for considering the OEM MB-D12.

Just one of many.

A few others are:
Dials turning opposite way than camera.
Shutter lag.
Loss of warranty, due to electrical failure.
among others...

brianric wrote:

Report back after using D800 with your new grip installed in heavy rain

-- hide signature --

Look at the bright side... Whitney Houston is 5 months sober !

cosmicnode Senior Member • Posts: 2,611
Re: Alternative to Nikon MB-d12 - Got One!

I have the Meike grip and it is sealed at the interface of the electrical connections where the grip and body mount with a rubber seal. The battery door is not sealed, but neither is the D2x or D1X battery door The Nikon grip for the D200 was not sealed and the mb-d10 was also not sealed around the battery door, I know this because I own or have owned these cameras. I find this strange for all these models. since it is such a large opening for water to penetrate in heavy rain. You can program the command dials on the body to reverse direction and when you do so the dials on the grip also reverse direction. Amazingly there is no shutter lag in portrait mode .

I know these facts due to owning the grip and not guessing what it will be like. It may not have the same quality of finish and fit as a Nikon grip but as we say in industry "it's fit for propose" The Nikon mbd12 is £365 I paid £53.
--
Mike.

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure."

 cosmicnode's gear list:cosmicnode's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
u007 Senior Member • Posts: 1,681
Re: Alternative to Nikon MB-d12 - Got One!

I just ordered the Pixel grip.

Build quality looks better than the Meike. The manufacturer claims it is made of the same materials as the d800 itself. They also say that it has the same degree of weather sealing.

As for electrical failure, are there any actual cases of this or it is all superstition and fearmongering?

-- hide signature --

My travel photography blog - http://www.frescoglobe.com

Shotcents
Shotcents Veteran Member • Posts: 4,472
Re: Alternative to Nikon MB-d12 - Got One!

u007 wrote:

I just ordered the Pixel grip.

Build quality looks better than the Meike. The manufacturer claims it is made of the same materials as the d800 itself. They also say that it has the same degree of weather sealing.

As for electrical failure, are there any actual cases of this or it is all superstition and fearmongering?

Where did you order the Pixel grip???

Robert

 Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon D5300 +11 more
OP Michael Harvey Contributing Member • Posts: 636
Re: Alternative to Nikon MB-d12 - Got One!

Hey TFergus!

You must have also missed the "smiley-face" I placed in the original post!

BUT, in my rich, greedy arrogance, I ordered a genuine NIKON MB-D12!
It'll be here tomorrow...and I'll post a side-by-side comparison.

If you're right, I'll admit it. If not - well, I'll say that too!

-- hide signature --

Mike Harvey

 Michael Harvey's gear list:Michael Harvey's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Nikon D850 Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +1 more
OP Michael Harvey Contributing Member • Posts: 636
Re: Alternative to Nikon MB-d12 - Got One!

Hey Karl...

I certainly understand your point...over the course of more than 40 years, I've seen quite a bit of 'intellectual property' that I developed in my business earn millions of dollars for others. I accepted that as something to be expected. Besides, there was nothing I could legally do about it anyway...and I've managed a most comfortable living despite the 'piracy'.

When it comes to PHYSICAL property, the odds of having someone duplicate (or at least come close to actual duplication) a product for a lower price, the odds of 'piracy' are probably 100%! Looking back, it seems it has been this way throughout history.

As an aside: I read some of the "late night ramblings" on your website.

Lots of good stuff in those! I don't agree with ALL of your philosophical points but I appreciate your reasoning nonetheless. And the unconstitutionality of the so-called Affordable Health Care Act is simply not debatable.Your brief, clearly stated, comment should be read by all.
--
Mike Harvey

 Michael Harvey's gear list:Michael Harvey's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Nikon D850 Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +1 more
WatchFan1 Regular Member • Posts: 173
Re: Alternative to Nikon MB-d12 - Got One!

gl2k wrote:

Well always interesting such posts.

You can afford a $3k cam
Probably another $5k for lenses. 12-24, 24-70, 70-200, ...
Maybe another $1k for speedlights, ...
Finally another $1k for tripods, filters, etc.

But a few peanuts (compared to all the other expenses) drive you crazy ?

No offenses. Just curious and makes me scratch my head.

You got that right, chief !!
i can afford $3000 body and several $2000 lenses because I think I spend
my money wisely in general ! (i.e I will not pay $450 for a grip if I can get
a comparable one for $80 )

u007 Senior Member • Posts: 1,681
Re: Alternative to Nikon MB-d12 - Got One!

Shotcents wrote:

u007 wrote:

I just ordered the Pixel grip.

Build quality looks better than the Meike. The manufacturer claims it is made of the same materials as the d800 itself. They also say that it has the same degree of weather sealing.

As for electrical failure, are there any actual cases of this or it is all superstition and fearmongering?

Where did you order the Pixel grip???

Robert

ebay.co.uk

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pixel-Vertax-D12-Battery-Grip-for-Nikon-D800-D800E-MB-D12-DSLR-ENEL15-MBD12-E507-/290731747365?pt=UK_Camera_Battery_Grips&hash=item43b0f66825

-- hide signature --

My travel photography blog - http://www.frescoglobe.com

Asoshkin Regular Member • Posts: 237
Re: Alternative to Nikon MB-d12 - Got One!

I received the meike grip in 5 days. Everything works like it should with no shutter lag and the auto focus on the grip works great too. No issues what's so ever.

TFergus
TFergus Veteran Member • Posts: 6,188
Re: Alternative to Nikon MB-d12 - Got One!

Asoshkin wrote:

I received the meike grip in 5 days. Everything works like it should with no shutter lag and the auto focus on the grip works great too. No issues what's so ever.

I just read this morning some guy from some photo blog saying his Meike worked fine on his D7000. He bought a Nikon grip that turned out to be a complete fake.... labelled Nikon on the grip and box, serial number, warranty card and all.
Do the dial adjustments turn the same way as on the camera? or reversed?
Apparently some of these grips on ebay have it backwards.
And shutter lag is something that may occur later. If at all.
They aren't built with durability in mind... but if they work, they work.
Can't beat the price.

-- hide signature --

Look at the bright side... Whitney Houston is 5 months sober !

cosmicnode Senior Member • Posts: 2,611
Re: Alternative to Nikon MB-d12 - Got One!

TFergus wrote:

Asoshkin wrote:

I received the meike grip in 5 days. Everything works like it should with no shutter lag and the auto focus on the grip works great too. No issues what's so ever.

I just read this morning some guy from some photo blog saying his Meike worked fine on his D7000. He bought a Nikon grip that turned out to be a complete fake.... labelled Nikon on the grip and box, serial number, warranty card and all.
Do the dial adjustments turn the same way as on the camera? or reversed?
Apparently some of these grips on ebay have it backwards.
And shutter lag is something that may occur later. If at all.
They aren't built with durability in mind... but if they work, they work.
Can't beat the price.

-- hide signature --

Look at the bright side... Whitney Houston is 5 months sober !

The buttons on the grip work the same way as the body if you change the direction of the buttons in the menu they change in the body and grip together. the shutter button is simply a make or break switch, it only makes a circuit it cant slow down the electricity.

-- hide signature --

Mike.

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure."

 cosmicnode's gear list:cosmicnode's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
TFergus
TFergus Veteran Member • Posts: 6,188
Re: Alternative to Nikon MB-d12 - Got One!

cosmicnode wrote:

TFergus wrote:

Asoshkin wrote:

I received the meike grip in 5 days. Everything works like it should with no shutter lag and the auto focus on the grip works great too. No issues what's so ever.

I just read this morning some guy from some photo blog saying his Meike worked fine on his D7000. He bought a Nikon grip that turned out to be a complete fake.... labelled Nikon on the grip and box, serial number, warranty card and all.
Do the dial adjustments turn the same way as on the camera? or reversed?
Apparently some of these grips on ebay have it backwards.
And shutter lag is something that may occur later. If at all.
They aren't built with durability in mind... but if they work, they work.
Can't beat the price.

-- hide signature --

Look at the bright side... Whitney Houston is 5 months sober !

The buttons on the grip work the same way as the body if you change the direction of the buttons in the menu they change in the body and grip together. the shutter button is simply a make or break switch, it only makes a circuit it cant slow down the electricity.

It's not the button.... it's the electronics.

The resistors and other various electronics can, and certainly have, if you search the "eBay" grips on DPR and other forums. I have read good things and bad things about these.

There are a couple manufacturers, but many names on the grips.
MeiKe
Zeikos
Bower
Neewer
ATC
Pixel-Vertax
Yongnuo

Many of them are the same item, just different labels.

I'm just making people aware of some of the concerns that have arisen in these. They aren't made to professional specs, like the OEMs, and they certainly have no concern of your camera's warranty. Nor does Nikon when you use these grips.

If the dials spin the correct way, if they don't lag the shutter after a while, and they don't short out your $3,000 camera.... then by all means... use the $49 grip.

Darrelll Senior Member • Posts: 2,208
Re: Alternative to Nikon MB-d12 - Got One!

The same vendor I just bought one for $61.55. A USA based seller? +1

2005magnum wrote:

Bought it from vendor emilyandlily on ebay for $57.90 which included free shipping from New Jersey. I went back to their site and they had sold 21 of them. Their price now is listed as $175.05 (I suspect they are out of stock or close to it). I was happy that I did not have to wait 30 more days from Hong Kong. I checked current pricing which is about $78.00 on the low side. I suspect that most of the vendors are in China. I also saw a generic on Amazon for less the $100.00. I predict that the price will come down. Just keep watching ebay.

BeachnCruz wrote:

2005magnum wrote:

I just received Meike grip that I paid less then $58.00 for. It works fine. For $58.00, it is reasonably well made.> --

Can you provide us a Link for where you purchased for $58 ? How much was the shipping charge ?

-- hide signature --

Cheers,

Darrell

 Darrelll's gear list:Darrelll's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D800 Nikon D200 Nikon D70
Darrelll Senior Member • Posts: 2,208
Re: Alternative to Nikon MB-d12 - Got One!

Bob feeds his family, vintage champagne, fresh, wild caught beluga caviar, Jiro's sushi and Fred feeds his family... ramen...

Karl H. Timmerman M.A.J.D. wrote:

So "Bob" spent a bunch of time and money to develop a product he thought was useful, would help folks share their view of this reality. Puts it up for sale, sets a price that would offset the money he spent developing it, and make a modest profit ... so he could feed his family, (shareholders). Takes the risk, that what he thought was useful ... isn't, and could loose the money he spent. "Fred", sees that folks think "Bobs" idea is useful, and are buying "Bobs" product, and makes a copy of it, sells it for 1/4 of what "Bob" sells it for and makes a profit, (feeds his family/shareholders), because ... he didn't have to spent the money perfecting/developing it. Then folks condemn "Bob" for selling what he developed because "Fred" can sell it for 1/4 of the price?

I prefer to buy from "Bob" and help him feed his family/shareholders because "Bob" will improve the product, make it better, more useful, FOR ME.

Course, what do I know?
KarlT
--
Karl H.Timmerman M.A.J.D.
Website: http://www.karltimmerman.com
BLOG: http://www.karltimmerman.com/Ramblings/
'The best part of taking the moral highground ...... is the view'.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,

Darrell

 Darrelll's gear list:Darrelll's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D800 Nikon D200 Nikon D70
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads