My mini-review of TG-1 [many imgs]

Started Jul 6, 2012 | Discussions
Ezra R Senior Member • Posts: 2,275
My mini-review of TG-1 [many imgs]

Hi all. Was in the market for a 'simple' digital camera for an upcoming vacation which will involve a lot of beach time. Ergo, I didnt want to worry about my E-P3 or such getting ruined. So, I decided on the Olympus TG-1 (over the Canon D20). Naturally, since I have it before my vaca begins, I decided to take a few snaps en route home from work today, and also in the evening of my kids.

These are all SOOC, JPGs; no photoshopping at all. Again, my goal is to use this as a quick and simple camera; not to fiddle with lots of manual settings. However, while there was a P mode button, and an iAuto button, as well as the ability to select how many MPs per image, whether you want flash... there was just one settings I wanted but nor here (but can live without). Namely, the ability to make photos "Vivid" or "Natural" or "Muted" in the 'film selection'. There is none. Yes, there are Art filters and a Candlelight mode, but not the same. Nevertheless, here are some shots.

My net conclusion: very good camera. Not the 'sharpest' lens, but no one should expect that. However, you can take carefree shots without worrying about your camera getting sand in them (or the kids dropping it) and they will look quite good.

Comments welcome...

Full Flickr set (with Hi Res images) here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ezra36/sets/72157630441929478/

Macro (yes, those are my daughters hand waiting to dismantle the M&Ms):

Chrysler building, from East side. I see hundreds of tourists per week taking photos from this exact vantage point on the street. So, whattheheck, I pointed the TG-1 at the sky and fired away. I was impressed with the nice IQ of sky blue, clouds and building. Nothing was terribly overblown.

Macro of Tomatoes from my garden after watering. (The Hi Res of this at FLickr is unreal.

Bean sprout - the vegetable or the kid? (Indoors, no flash; available lighting only; Auto WB)

End of day at camp...

Birthday cupcakes. Indoor lighting; camera set to Burst mode. Good detail on the smoke...

Train in Grand Central in NYC (set to Magic/Sparkle)

Ezra R's gear list:Ezra R's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
Canon PowerShot D20 Olympus PEN E-P3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
montrealcanada45 Regular Member • Posts: 326
Re: My mini-review of TG-1 [many imgs]

I love your pics ! Great detail and very good level of sharpness, nice inspired captures as well - nice camera !
--
Luc - EPL-1 + 14-42 http://www.flickr.com/photos/lucmontreal

bluehighwayman Regular Member • Posts: 425

Nice photos! The one of the train is a no no in NYC. I've had the TG1 for thrree weeks and decided to keep it. I have a 3D TV so was able to see the 3D photos which are truly amazing. I've also shot photos and video in the swimming pool and can say they are on par with the Panasonic T4. The shadow adjust setting is better left off and AF I find best set to spot. I'm a C1, C2 and P photographer on the TG1.

bluehighwayman's gear list:bluehighwayman's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +2 more
OP Ezra R Senior Member • Posts: 2,275

bluehighwayman wrote:

Nice photos! The one of the train is a no no in NYC. I've had the TG1 for thrree weeks and decided to keep it. I have a 3D TV so was able to see the 3D photos which are truly amazing. I've also shot photos and video in the swimming pool and can say they are on par with the Panasonic T4. The shadow adjust setting is better left off and AF I find best set to spot. I'm a C1, C2 and P photographer on the TG1.

Agreed on AF-Spot ... big time!

Any suggestions on how to replicate Film Mode such as "Positive" colors of Canon? Or "Natural" of Olympus?

Fujifilm X100T Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
MMCMMC
MMCMMC New Member • Posts: 4

Thanks a lot for your mini review. Seems the TG-1 is a nice little companion for all everyday situations - especially in holiday time. I am looking very much forward to have one TG-1 with us in our honeymoon vacation this year on the Azores. Hiking, Beach, Kayaking - even snorkeling should be possible.

Can you tell anything about sun - flare in side light conditions? I saw some other testpics on the net that show some flare.I am thinking about having a 40,5mm sunlight protector plus adaptor with the TG-1.

MMCMMC wrote:

Can you tell anything about sun - flare in side light conditions? I saw some other testpics on the net that show some flare.I am thinking about having a 40,5mm sunlight protector plus adaptor with the TG-1.

When I was taking photos in the garden, there were some 'streaks' of flare that I coudl immediately see on the LCD screen. I simply moved to anotehr angle to take the photograph. And when I say "moved to another angle" I dont mean by 4 feet. I simply adjusted the camera about 6 " or so.

MMCMMC
MMCMMC New Member • Posts: 4

Thanks! Ah, I see - its good to have such "premium" type of LCD on the back in order to check the image quality more in detail before the picture is taken.

ShatteredSky
ShatteredSky Senior Member • Posts: 1,864

bluehighwayman wrote:

... they are on par with the Panasonic T4. The shadow adjust setting is better left off and AF I find best set to spot.

Hmmm, thanks for the info. Would you say the autofocus is faster than on the TS3/4?

Cheers
--
"Blue for the shattered sky"

ShatteredSky's gear list:ShatteredSky's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Panasonic LX100 Samsung NX300 Olympus E-PL7 Samsung NX500 +3 more

ShatteredSky wrote:

bluehighwayman wrote:

... they are on par with the Panasonic T4. The shadow adjust setting is better left off and AF I find best set to spot.

Hmmm, thanks for the info. Would you say the autofocus is faster than on the TS3/4?

Never used the TS3/4, so I wouldnt know.

But compared to an Canon S100, it's on par though even appears a bit faster. Pretty darn fast!

ShatteredSky
ShatteredSky Senior Member • Posts: 1,864

Ok, thanks. I've already ordered it.

Cheers
--
"Blue for the shattered sky"

ShatteredSky's gear list:ShatteredSky's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Panasonic LX100 Samsung NX300 Olympus E-PL7 Samsung NX500 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads