D800 oil spot

Started Jul 3, 2012 | Discussions
zzzzzzzzzzz Senior Member • Posts: 2,651
D800 oil spot

My first D7000 had a problem with oil making its way onto the sensor. I just noticed this beauty in my D800 images.

zzzzzzzzzzz's gear list:zzzzzzzzzzz's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Nikon D5500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +23 more
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Robin Casady Forum Pro • Posts: 12,898
Re: D800 oil spot

Had a similar problem with my D800E. Took quite a few passes with Sensor Swab Plus Type 3 and Eclipse liquid. Cut a new pad for the swab, from PEC-PAD 4x4 wipes, for each pass.

Followed up with a Nylon cosmetic brush (carefully cleaned and tested on a clean filter) statically charged by blowing air through the Nylon bristles with a Rocket Blower. This removed any dust or lint the swabs left behind.
--
Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html

mudakas Regular Member • Posts: 157

zzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

My first D7000 had a problem with oil making its way onto the sensor. I just noticed this beauty in my D800 images.

Had one and couple dust specs, cleaned with eclipse and cotton swabs. Not a big deal.

mudakas's gear list:mudakas's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Panasonic Lumix S Pro 16-35mm F4 +2 more
inasir1971
inasir1971 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,712

Had exactly the same thing on my D800 - didn't realize it was an oil spot till the kind people on this forum told me that was quite normal (used to shoot Canon - they don't have oil spots ).

For the first few hundred shots my D800E was spewing out specks of something onto the sensor (concentrated in one corner) - suspect that something was being 'worn-in' a bit like we had to run-in cars years ago.

So, guess with Nikons, shoot slowly for the first 1,000 shots and get a sensor clean.

Both got cleaned by Nikon service FOC (I live in a city with a Nikon service center and it's a 20 minute drive).

inasir1971's gear list:inasir1971's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Tamron 35-150mm F2.8-4
Hawaii-geek
Hawaii-geek Veteran Member • Posts: 8,066
Have the same thing in my skys at f8 and up :)

Have the same thing in my skys at f8 and up

For now I am just using LRv4 to take out. I don't shoot f8 and up very often. Not enough for it to be an issue anyway.
And at some point I am thinking it will be sent to Nikon.

Never had it on my D700 , I don't take off my lens.
Never had it on any OLY DSLR.

When I first got the D800 , I probably changed lens more than I ever have on any camera. (testing)

HG

zzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

-- hide signature --

http://tourist-of-light.blogspot.com/

Please feel free to criticize, make suggestions, and edit any of my photos & re-post, to help show me 'the way'. * I am trying to Elevate the Level of my 'Snap Shots'

Hawaii-geek's gear list:Hawaii-geek's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha a99 Sony a7R +20 more
PaulBearer Senior Member • Posts: 1,823
Same Problem - Nikon Repair Says: NO OIL.....

I'm having the same issue on my skies, plus some black spots - the latter I'll call dust, but the former are the same as my D3 had when new and that was a known issue with that camera. Nikon confirmed the oil and cleaned the camera.

I don't think I'd ever changed lenses on my d800 before they started to show up. Because it is fairly new and seemed to be the same as the D3, I packaged it up and sent to Nikon. Came back with a note that there were no oil spots, but dust on the sensor, which they said they fixed.

Got it back Friday, and headed for vacation this week - today, when downloading my cards, the spots are still there - changed lenses today, same problem with a different lens. They look just like the sample, on the post above - a series of lighter blue circle on a field of blue sky.

To compound this problem. THE SPOTS AREN'T IN THE SAME PLACE, IMAGE TO IMAGE.

I'M STUMPED! Maybe flying saucers

PaulBearer's gear list:PaulBearer's gear list
Sony a6500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
OP zzzzzzzzzzz Senior Member • Posts: 2,651

I cleaned it today and it is gone. I used a few Sensor Swabs (expensive) and Eclipse. I hope this does not become a common occurence

zzzzzzzzzzz's gear list:zzzzzzzzzzz's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Nikon D5500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +23 more
Rick880 Contributing Member • Posts: 509

I am sure you will let us know about it if it does come back.

zzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

I cleaned it today and it is gone. I used a few Sensor Swabs (expensive) and Eclipse. I hope this does not become a common occurence

Robin Casady Forum Pro • Posts: 12,898

zzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Don't throw the swabs away. You can cut new pads for them from PEC-PADs for very little money. Clean your scissors with alcohol before using, and wear withe cotton gloves for best results.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001M6K24/ref=oss_product

PEC-PADs are good for cleaning lenses as well.
--
Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html

GMack Senior Member • Posts: 2,928
How are you attaching the Pec-Pads to the swab?

Just wondering how you affix the things to the swab? Rubber bands? Glue? Staple?

Mack

Rick880 Contributing Member • Posts: 509
Re: How are you attaching the Pec-Pads to the swab?

Scotch tape. Google how to wrap pec-pad correctly.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads