Is lightroom faster on MAC OS than windows?

Started Jul 3, 2012 | Discussions
nikhgan Senior Member • Posts: 1,552

Larry Paris
Larry Paris Regular Member • Posts: 159
Re: Is lightroom faster on MAC OS than windows?

All other things being equal; YES by a long shot!
--
Larry from Chilliwack

Larry Paris's gear list:Larry Paris's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony RX10 IV Nikon D810 Sony a9
RicksAstro
RicksAstro Veteran Member • Posts: 3,853

Larry Paris wrote:

--
Larry from Chilliwack

Is there someplace to go to quantify this, or are you speaking from experience? Truly wondering if there are benchmarks for this somewhere.

-- hide signature --
itcrashed
itcrashed Regular Member • Posts: 172

RicksAstro wrote:

Larry Paris wrote:

--
Larry from Chilliwack

Is there someplace to go to quantify this, or are you speaking from experience? Truly wondering if there are benchmarks for this somewhere.

I have LR running on both an iMac and PC. And I must concur that it does run faster on the Apple hardware by a longshot. I don't have any way to quantify this - just speaking from experience. My iMac is an i7 860 w/16GB RAM (OSX Lion) w/7200rpm drive and my PC is an i7-950 w/16GB RAM (Win7-64) w/SSD.

My PC hardware smokes the Apple hardware and LR runs significantly better on the Apple hardware. It becomes more noticeable with the larger D800 NEFs. But both get a bit laggy when the library gets quite large.

itcrashed's gear list:itcrashed's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR
Robert Peters Veteran Member • Posts: 5,396
Yes and no.

There are VERY wildly differing experiences running Lightroom on any platform. Take a look at the following discussion of the Adobe Lightroom forum:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/971581?tstart=30

Robert Peters's gear list:Robert Peters's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +13 more
OP nikhgan Senior Member • Posts: 1,552
Re: Yes and no.

So the process version makes difference, given the same hardware spec, process 2010 is faster than 2012.

What is the benefits of using process 2012 in lightroom? Is it because old process doesn't support newer camera models?

Robert Peters wrote:

There are VERY wildly differing experiences running Lightroom on any platform. Take a look at the following discussion of the Adobe Lightroom forum:

InTheMist
InTheMist Veteran Member • Posts: 3,078

The only software that runs equally horrible on Mac and PC is that festering wound known as iTunes.
--
Ridicule is not C&C nor is it being helpful nor "stating your opinion"
http://www.flickr.com/InTheMist

InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246) Leica M-Monochrom Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 +18 more
Robert Peters Veteran Member • Posts: 5,396

While some users have problems with Lightroom 4.1 there are some very nice tools in that release.

My main quibble has to do with the fact that only one core is active at a time when zooming to 1:1 in the Library module when the 1:1 preview already exists.

I'm certain (but have no inside information) that the raw pipeline is getting some serious attention right now.

Robert Peters's gear list:Robert Peters's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +13 more
RicksAstro

Yup...that was one of the threads I researched before deciding to build a new PC myself rather than getting a Mac recently. I don't think there is a clear advantage at all to a Mac vs. PC.

I concentrated on the fastest memory (16GB 2400 DDR3) and a fast processor (4.5 Ghz ivybridge) and a fast harddrive (256GB SATA 3 SSD). The improvement from my older PC (12 gb 1333 memory, 2.9Ghz i7-920, 80GB SATA 2 SSD) was far more than the specs would indicate. LR4 was intolerable before and made my blood boil when using it. Anything I did took 2-5 seconds it seemed. Now, even with D800E files, it runs acceptably fast.

It would be great to have some professionally done benchmarks using identical hardware between the MAC OS and Windows 7. That would isolate the OS and software issues.

Robert Peters wrote:

-- hide signature --
RicksAstro

nikhgan wrote:

So the process version makes difference, given the same hardware spec, process 2010 is faster than 2012.

What is the benefits of using process 2012 in lightroom? Is it because old process doesn't support newer camera models?

Process 2012 is a large improvement in actual raw results from 2010, including highlight recovery, which is almost magic in 2012...better than any other SW I've used.

-- hide signature --
StormySky Forum Member • Posts: 66
Re:

As with everything else, Yes.
--
The power of imagination makes us infinite

Fred Briggs
Fred Briggs Senior Member • Posts: 1,023

RicksAstro wrote:

It would be great to have some professionally done benchmarks using identical hardware between the MAC OS and Windows 7. That would isolate the OS and software issues.

I think the best way to do this would be to have Boot Camp set up with Windows 7 fully updated, and so be able to run Lightroom on identical hardware under the two operating systems. I don't have a suitable Mac to do this as my main machine is a highish spec PC. This is OK but noticeably slower with LR4.1 and D800 files than it used to be with LR3.3 and Canon 5D Mk II files.

I do have a Macbook Air which I primarily run Windows 7 on, and use on vacation to backup my RAW files. (It makes a very nice windows laptop!) This has run Lightroom adequately for a quick appraisal of photos, but I have not installed LR under MacOS. I also haven't yet yet updated it to LR4.1, nor have I tried looking at any D800 files, though it used to work OK with the 5D MkII files on LR3.3

Fred

Fred Briggs's gear list:Fred Briggs's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads