Toshiba Flashair vs eye-fi x2 pro, anyone experienced?

Started Jul 3, 2012 | Discussions
YordanRhapsody Regular Member • Posts: 322
Toshiba Flashair vs eye-fi x2 pro, anyone experienced?

hi there, I'm looking for a wireless SD for my reflex

I need ad-hoc connectivity when I can't reach a router (for example when I'm outdoor and I have to send images directly to the PC, or when I'm at a location where I can't reach an internet connection).

I need the best available SD, whit good reach and stable signal. Also I need that if I go shooting out of reach, the transfer will start automatically when I come back in range.

From what I can see, there are only two options available in the market, eye-fi 8gb x2 pro and toshiba flashair: both offer ad-hoc connectivity but which is the best and why?

Leica X2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
targa86 Regular Member • Posts: 236
Re: Toshiba Flashair vs eye-fi x2 pro, anyone experienced?

I am looking for the same comparison so I'll give you a bump and some old data.

I got an EyeFi Pro a couple of years ago and I had to stop using it.  If I stood within about 30ft. of my hub and didn't move around it worked flawlessly.  The maximum range seemed to be about 100ft. but it was a bit variable.  When you lost your connection in the middle of a transfer it stopped the transfer, but the file was  marked as transferred ( even though only a fragment was sent) and I never could  find a way to resend it via WiFi.  Emails to the EyeFi folks  for this and other problems got replys  but no answers.  They basically just told me to stay in range of my hub.  I offered several solutions, restart the transfer once contact was re-established,   mark the file as transferred at the end of the transfer not at the start (duh),  but they never fixed this during the 6 months I used the card.   After shooting a whole 8Gb card one day and having only about an 80% hit rate for downloads I just got tired of this and threw the card away (it was too slow to use as a normal SD-Card).

No experience with FlashAir.

Maybe someone else can supply the second half of this comparison or an update for newer EyeFi operation.  Did they ever fix this problem?

-- hide signature --

Targa86

targa86's gear list:targa86's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3
me10lee83 New Member • Posts: 3

Eye-Fi does not mark files as complete until it is actually complete (full file received either on their servers or by the software). I've had plenty of uploads get interrupted and resume once the card can re-connect to my network. I'd contact support about that if I were you.

Ken Gosden Senior Member • Posts: 2,472

Well, my experience with an Eye-Fi X2 Pro I bought in the past 6 months is that once a transfer fails partially complete it is never retransferred.  I do about 80% of my transfers via direct mode to my Nexus 7 or Samsung Galaxy S5.  The other 20% are on my home network to the same devices.  Also, trying to get the Eye-Fi to startup again without taking any new photos seems hit or miss.

Ken Gosden's gear list:Ken Gosden's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II +21 more
ImagesInstyle Contributing Member • Posts: 691
Re: flash air waaaay better!!

i played withe air card and it was a breeze compared to eye-fi

i transferred from an olympus xz-2 to my samsung note 2 with no problem

set everything up in 5 min!!

eye fi was a pain the rear!!

ImagesInstyle's gear list:ImagesInstyle's gear list
Sony a6000
Sandro Vascotto New Member • Posts: 1

I bought a Toshiba FlashAir after reading many positive articles on the Internet. I realized then that in reality it was all hype.
It is true that it is easy to connect to it from a computer, even though you have to change Wi-Fi access point (so that you are cut off from Internet while you transfer).
The problem is that, in order to transfer your pictures, you have to use a browser which is built in the firmware of the card. This browser only lets you transfer one photo at the time. You can watch them all together, but then you have to select one by one to transfer them. There is no way you can perform a bulk transfer, nor remotely delete the pictures after the treansfer. Can you imagine getting your pictures after a day where you have taken 200+ shots?
There is another absurdity. If you want to economize the camera battery and switch the radio off (and on again to connect to the card) you must go in the camera menu and protect/unprotect a special picture contained in the card. You would expect that protected means radio off and conversely unprotected switches the radio on. Too simple. In reality, you have to do each time a full cycle of protect/unprotect to toggle between on and off. In addition, each time the camera goes off (either manually or time-out) the radio goes off automatically, so you will have to repeat the procedure to turn it on again. Very annoying.

The bottom line is that I dropped the card in a drawer and too bad for the wasted money (well, it can still be used as a normal SD memory, though expensive!).

I have ordered now an Eye-Fi. I hope that its implementation is more clever.

azrulrhm New Member • Posts: 3

Sandro Vascotto wrote:

I bought a Toshiba FlashAir after reading many positive articles on the Internet. I realized then that in reality it was all hype.
It is true that it is easy to connect to it from a computer, even though you have to change Wi-Fi access point (so that you are cut off from Internet while you transfer).
The problem is that, in order to transfer your pictures, you have to use a browser which is built in the firmware of the card. This browser only lets you transfer one photo at the time. You can watch them all together, but then you have to select one by one to transfer them. There is no way you can perform a bulk transfer, nor remotely delete the pictures after the treansfer. Can you imagine getting your pictures after a day where you have taken 200+ shots?

The card is definitely not an ideal solution for transferring 200 over pictures to your computer. Stay away from it if that is your intention.

The real value comes from ability to share high-quality pictures on the go. I have them in my RX100 and often pair it with my Android (which have native app) . Whenever i capture something awesome, i can quickly share it with my friends/family. I download them to my computer the normal way once I get back home, which is way faster anyway.

It is expensive yes, but it does opens up some options that I never had before.

takaiguchi New Member • Posts: 4

I have been using a flashair ii on my x100s and it works ok when it does work. Sometimes the wifi signal won't work until taking the card out and putting it back in again. Other times, I have to do it a few times. When it does work, it's cool.

As of late, I've had issues with card errors. I know it's not the cam because it's fine with other cards. I've now ordered an eyefi pro x2 class 10 card so we'll see how that goes.

MaxCh Senior Member • Posts: 1,299

YordanRhapsody wrote:

hi there, I'm looking for a wireless SD for my reflex

I need ad-hoc connectivity when I can't reach a router (for example when I'm outdoor and I have to send images directly to the PC, or when I'm at a location where I can't reach an internet connection).

I need the best available SD, whit good reach and stable signal. Also I need that if I go shooting out of reach, the transfer will start automatically when I come back in range.

From what I can see, there are only two options available in the market, eye-fi 8gb x2 pro and toshiba flashair: both offer ad-hoc connectivity but which is the best and why?

Toshiba Flashair works well with my 7d Mark2. I use it as the backup to my CF card (7D2 accepts both) and as the tool to transfer selected images to my iphone

MaxCh's gear list:MaxCh's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads