OM-D + 12-50 kit: confident to use in all weather

Started Jul 2, 2012 | Discussions
pvdk Regular Member • Posts: 113
OM-D + 12-50 kit: confident to use in all weather

The 12-50mm kit lens + E-M5 body are without any doubt weather sealed. Yesterday I took this combination while dropping from a hill in a canoe in to water. The camera was soaked but I nailed the shot.

Other images taken on this trip and my first real impression can be found in this post: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=41924107
--
Cheers, Phil.

pvdk's gear list:pvdk's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +2 more
RonFrank
RonFrank Senior Member • Posts: 2,130
Its best to keep ALL equipment dry.....

If you get water in the camera is it covered by your warranty? No. Its a bad idea to soak your equipment and assume you are covered because you are not. If you end up with water damage Oly will be the first to explain that water seals does not mean waterproof, and yes you will be liable for water damage. Water seals are handy for the occasional accidental splash and that is only if there is no damage. If the seal leaks guess who pays?

If you want to be covered for water damage get a rider on your homeowners or you can choose DAN or DEPP insurance. DEPP has a bad rep as of late so buyer beware. Tell them you dive and want to insure the camera against all water damage in the case of an accident.

I read about the proud owners soaking their gear and then bragging about it. Very cool until your camera malfunctions and Oly finds water damage, then it is not so cool.

Cameras are Not waterproof so keep your gear dry whenever possible.

RonFrank's gear list:RonFrank's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D200 Nikon D300S Sony a6000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +7 more
Mahesh Veteran Member • Posts: 9,809
Re: OM-D + 12-50 kit: confident to use in all weather

I remember this image from the other thread, Phil. Spectacular, once again!

-- hide signature --

Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap, but memories are priceless.

Mahesh

http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com

OP pvdk Regular Member • Posts: 113
Re: Its best to keep ALL equipment dry.....

To me this is the occasional splash. I know I can not go on a dive with it. But thanks for your concern.
--
Cheers, Phil.

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +2 more
scottlu Junior Member • Posts: 32

this is the best shot of year.

OP pvdk Regular Member • Posts: 113
Tnx ! (nt)

no text...
--
Cheers, Phil.

Mike_PEAT Forum Pro • Posts: 12,917
You must be new to Olympus weather sealed equipment!

RonFrank wrote:

Cameras are Not waterproof so keep your gear dry whenever possible.

Seriously?

I knew an Oly rep who put an E-1 in the shower, and then shoot an F-1 race.

I know someone who shoots motorcycle races in every weather condition, when the N and C weather sealed shooters are putting their cameras away, or covering them in plastic.

I once saw an E-3 with a 12-60mm dunked into an aquarium by an Oly rep, and they just kept on shooting.

I have no fear of shooting in the rain:

BUT i wouldn't be so stupid to put my camera equipment on my house insurance...that's supposed to be for tens of thousands in property damage like fire or a foundation issue, or somebody trips on your property and sues you, not for some inexpensive camera equipment!

reflected_light
reflected_light Regular Member • Posts: 416
Re: You must be new to Olympus weather sealed equipment!

The camera/lens is not pressure-sealed, so it cannot be taken underwater.

But weather-sealed/weather-resistant is just that...sealed and resistant. If you can't shoot out in the rain, or get splashed repeatedly then those descriptions are meaningless and/or false claims.

With Oly, I would bet you get what they say you get...

-- hide signature --
Photohobbyfun Senior Member • Posts: 1,364

Olympus weather sealing is legendary. I wonder if their knowledge in the medical field where instruments are literally soaked in flesh has given them a solid understanding of how to manufacture excellent seals.

Regardless of what the reason is, an Olympus representative high up on the chain, may have been the president, said they have never had a warranty issue for their weather sealing breaking.

The weather sealing was one of the main reasons I bought an E-M5. I wouldn't worry about using this camera in the pouring rain. Actually, I believe an Olympus representative gave an interview and he was asked if the camera could be used in the pouring rain and he said yes.

SeeRoy Senior Member • Posts: 1,666

Personally I try to keep all cameras dry. Given that the main problem in rain is water on the front element this seems like an easy decision. I'll be trying to ensure that my OM-D, even with the 12-50 mounted, stays dry. I'm sure there are people who, like the OP, will get away with soaking the camera. Best of luck.

As for the other examples quoted above (Oly reps placing cameras in the shower; Oly management guaranteeing waterproof-ness, etc) I remain highly sceptical until some supporting evidence is presented. Urban mythology takes all kinds of forms.
Roy

reflected_light
reflected_light Regular Member • Posts: 416

One should also factor in Olympus' experience with their Tough series of cameras, which they have been making for a number of years. Not as many controls or seams to seal from water/dirt, but the best of the lineup can be taken 40 ft underwater, so creating good seals is something they have alot of experience with in the camera world as well.

We sell a ton of these little cameras and I can only think of one over the years that had a seal that did not hold up. The camera still worked fine but there was some evidence of a tiny leak around the lcd.

A few months ago, a lady came into the shop to buy a charger and extra battery for one of these Tough cameras...her husband found it laying on the bottom when diving in the Caribbean. Was working fine.
--
r_l

http://www.pbase.com/reflectedlight

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads