Lens adapters for the 5N?

Started Jun 28, 2012 | Discussions
akaRon Junior Member • Posts: 35
Lens adapters for the 5N?

I have a 5N on order and am very excited! I ordered it from Sony and in white (a rare color?). I optioned it with the default 18-55mm option lens.

I am very blessed in that I inherited a couple-three dozen lens from my father, several years ago, so I should not have to ever buy a lens. I have an incredible variety of quality lenses.

The lenses are mostly Leica from the 50s and 60s. Also have odd lenses such as Minolta and Alpa.

Is it true that they make adapters to fit these lenses for a new digital Sony? I read a review where it said almost "any" lens will fit and that they number in the "thousands" (even the old Leica glass).

I know the auto focus and stability control won't work, which is fine.

Thanks.

Richard Ettinger Senior Member • Posts: 1,331
Re: Lens adapters for the 5N?

Nice treasure trove. I have adapters for Canon, Olympus and Leica lenses all purchased from amazon. I just purchased a second adapter for my Leica lens as the first one doesn't really hold the lens firmly enough. If you have that many Leica lenses, I envy you, but I'd seriously consider investing in one of the more expensive adapters listed on Amazon.

Richard Ettinger's gear list:Richard Ettinger's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a7R II Leica Elmarit-M 28mm f/2.8 ASPH Leica APO-Summicron-M 90mm f/2 ASPH Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +7 more
golfpan Regular Member • Posts: 258

You can pretty much adapt (almost) any lens mount type to the NEX, one of its great strengths. The two main adapter makers I buy from are Fotodiox and RainbowImaging ( at http://www.fotodiox.com and http://www.rainbowimaging.biz ). I have been happy with adapters from both companies, and some of their adapters even have built-in tripod mounts, which is nice when you're attaching a heavier lens.

golfpan's gear list:golfpan's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +12 more
OP akaRon Junior Member • Posts: 35

Thanks, just went to Amazon and saw the adapters. Took a quick look at my stash and saw that they are most M-Mount lense. I'm now kicking myself for having sold off a few some years ago.

So once mounted I manually focus and manually set the aperture until the framed pic looks good on ther LCD screen? Shutter will be set automatically, yes? What should the camera setting be on?

golfpan Regular Member • Posts: 258

Yeah, just be sure to go to settings and enable "release w/o lens" and turn on focus peaking to help you focus. That will leave you with aperture and focusing manual, and shutter speed and ISO set in the camera (of course you can also do auto shutter and ISO in the camera).

golfpan's gear list:golfpan's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +12 more
cactusgeorge
cactusgeorge Regular Member • Posts: 124
 cactusgeorge's gear list:cactusgeorge's gear list
Sony RX100 IV
D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 21,539

akaRon wrote:

Thanks, just went to Amazon and saw the adapters. Took a quick look at my stash and saw that they are most M-Mount lense. I'm now kicking myself for having sold off a few some years ago.

So once mounted I manually focus and manually set the aperture until the framed pic looks good on ther LCD screen? Shutter will be set automatically, yes? What should the camera setting be on?

Use the A mode.

kerpan Regular Member • Posts: 468

I think S (shutter) should work too (it does for me).

kerpan's gear list:kerpan's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +6 more
SonyAlphaLab - Jay
SonyAlphaLab - Jay Regular Member • Posts: 114

Check this out!! All the adapters rounded up for you

http://sonyalphalab.com/2012/05/the-ultimate-lens-and-lens-adapter-combos-for-the-sony-nex-e-mount-camera-system/
--
Jay from SonyAlphaLab.com

SonyAlphaLab - Jay's gear list:SonyAlphaLab - Jay's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6
Tommygun45 Senior Member • Posts: 1,376

Beware of the Rainbow Imaging lens for Canon FD mounts. I got it on Amazon for about 25 bucks. Ive only used mine about 20 times and its started to split. I can see the ball bearings in it and it has stopped accurately allowing my 50 1.4 to change the aperture. Bummer.

Tommygun45's gear list:Tommygun45's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D750 Sony a6500 Sony a9 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads