K-3

Started Jun 27, 2012 | Discussions
wstruth
wstruth Regular Member • Posts: 330
K-3

I was at B&H this morning and the sales associate I dealt with told me that the K-3 was being demonstrated to the sales staff today at B&H by Pentax. He also told me it is an APS-c sensor camera.

wstruth's gear list:wstruth's gear list
Ricoh GR II Canon G9 X Canon G7 X II Pentax K-1 Pentax KP +4 more
rogerstpierre Veteran Member • Posts: 4,444
Re: K-3

Maybe he missed the zero ? K-3, K-30.... a simple mistake !

-- hide signature --

Roger

rogerstpierre's gear list:rogerstpierre's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus 12-45mm F4 Pro +4 more
miles green
miles green Veteran Member • Posts: 7,587

Cool, thanks for the update! That's sooner than i would have imagined!

I think everybody expects the K3 to be a K5-K7 series aps-c replacement. After all why on earth would Pentax ever want to leave a market where they are leading? I am very curious to hear about the updates they made to it, especially having seen the k30 specs. My bets are on upgraded AF (i'd like that) and 24 mpx (blah).

As for the much awaited (by me) FF Pentax, i do think that they will launch one eventually, as FF sensors become more affordable. In any case, Sony is likely to put a FF sensor in a Nex... it could come in handy if I can't hold my breath long enough for the Pentax version!

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +7 more
Ogun Caglayan Turkay
Ogun Caglayan Turkay Regular Member • Posts: 109

+1 Because there is no any leaked image etc. on the net. I think it's a mistake...
--
Ogun Caglayan Turkay
http://www.ogunturkay.com

Ogun Caglayan Turkay's gear list:Ogun Caglayan Turkay's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax HD DA 560mm F5.6 ED AW HD Pentax DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +4 more
miles green

Hmmm, very likely...

Ogun Caglayan Turkay wrote:

+1 Because there is no any leaked image etc. on the net. I think it's a mistake...
--
Ogun Caglayan Turkay
http://www.ogunturkay.com

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Corfu, Greece

Pentax K-1 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +7 more
wstruth
OP wstruth Regular Member • Posts: 330

It's possible. Damn I thought i had a good source!

wstruth's gear list:wstruth's gear list
Ricoh GR II Canon G9 X Canon G7 X II Pentax K-1 Pentax KP +4 more
leopold Forum Pro • Posts: 14,083
Miles

Sony could probably put a FF sensor in an NEX size camera but if they don't made lenses that are worth getting (like the present NEX series)... that camera will not be interesting unless you want to mount other brand lenses.
--
Leopold
Pentax forever
http://smarcoux.zenfolio.com/
http://www.limagier-photo.com/
http://www.firstlight.com/galleries.php
http://steevemarcoux2.wordpress.com/

leopold's gear list:leopold's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +3 more
kuuan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,663
Re: Miles

leopold wrote:

Sony could probably put a FF sensor in an NEX size camera but if they don't made lenses that are worth getting (like the present NEX series)... that camera will not be interesting unless you want to mount other brand lenses.

and because current NEX lenses seems to be made for APS-C I doubt that there will be a FF NEX any time soon.

If there was one I'd love it nevertheless, or any small FF mirrorless, preferably from Pentax. ( As long as register distance is short enough to mount small rangefinder lenses ) I would not mind the lack of dedicated AF lenses, manual focus aids are great and Leicas don't do AF neither

-- hide signature --

photos mostly taken with manual lenses on Sony NEX5N, Pentax K-x and *istDs: http://flickr.com/photos/kuuan/

kuuan's gear list:kuuan's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Pentax *ist DS Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Sony Alpha NEX-5N +1 more
miles green

kuuan wrote:

leopold wrote:

Precisely: i'd fit K-mount lens with an adaptor. (Otherwise i'd be nagging on the Sony forum! )

and because current NEX lenses seems to be made for APS-C I doubt that there will be a FF NEX any time soon.

Sony being an electronics company wants to sell many cameras, and many sensors. I suspect that creating - or not - a market for Sony lens is a low priority. Which is probably why they "outsource" their lens by collaborating with Zeiss. This is unlike their major clients Nikon and our dear Pentax. Nikon and Pentax have heavy investments in optics design and manufacturing, so it's not in their interest to launch a camera they have few or no lens for.....

If there was one I'd love it nevertheless, or any small FF mirrorless, preferably from Pentax. ( As long as register distance is short enough to mount small rangefinder lenses ) I would not mind the lack of dedicated AF lenses, manual focus aids are great and Leicas don't do AF neither

Eventually, i'm sure someone (Sony, Samsung...) will come up with a FF mirrorless with EVF and peeping... And someone else will sell a nex-to-K-mount adapter, or whatever will be required to put my FF lens on the hypothetical FF evil...

This is a rapidly evolving market, and with no mirror required, old classical lens can easily fit on new bodies, made by manufacturers eager to sell bodies, not camera systems... This i believe is a threat Pentax should take seriously: they should give us a FF body before someone else offers a FF body that will accept Pentax lens.

Think of it this way: if i do get a FF Evil, and an adaptor for my 8 FF K-mount lens, who's to say that the rest of my LBA will be dedicated to buying K-mount lens as it is now? There are already adaptors from Nex to pretty much everything out there, contax, leica R, canon, nikkor, minolta-A, Pentax-K, M42......

We'll see what the future brings us.

Now i'm gonna take a deeeep breath and wait for Pentax to make a FF dslr with a huuuuge pentaprism!

-- hide signature --

photos mostly taken with manual lenses on Sony NEX5N, Pentax K-x and *istDs: http://flickr.com/photos/kuuan/

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Corfu, Greece

viking79
viking79 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,156

The only issue with a FF NEX is that corner performance on the NEX is already a problem and it is APS-C. Range finder lenses cause color shifting at the corners, etc, they would be totally unusable on a FF sensor unless the sensor was designed differently.

I don't think we will see a short flange sensor for mirrorless FF any time soon, besides Leica M9 (which also has corner performance problems, but they correct a lot of them in software).

I think a likely first mirrorless full frame camera could be something like the K-01 with a long flange distance, which defeats most of the reasons to use a mirrorless camera, although they could make smaller wide angles without the mirror even with the longer flange distance by making lenses that go inside the body like the old Nikkor 21 mm f/4

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/ultrawides/21mm.htm

This is also the type of lens we might see for the K-01. Basically though, any short flange full frame camera is going to require special optics that collimate (make parallel) the light rays before they hit the sensor so they don't hit at as strong of angles in the corners. I.e. more expensive lenses.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)

See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony a7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
JNR
JNR Veteran Member • Posts: 4,019
Re: Small FF mirrorless - not likely

Eric has it exactly right. Corners are a big problem, especially for wide angle lenses given current sensor technology.
--
JNR
http://www.jamesrobins.com

JNR's gear list:JNR's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Phase One Capture One Pro Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 +21 more
audiobomber
audiobomber Veteran Member • Posts: 5,766

viking79 wrote:

I think a likely first mirrorless full frame camera could be something like the K-01 with a long flange distance, which defeats most of the reasons to use a mirrorless camera,

Which reasons? Body depth is the only reason I can think of, and that is soundly trumped by other reasons for making a FF MILC K-mount; existing Pentax K lenses will fit, maintain internal space for SR, and corner resolution will be stronger. I doubt very much that Pentax would release a FF MILC that was not K-mount. Their loyalty to K-mount is pretty evident from the K-01.

although they could make smaller wide angles without the mirror even with the longer flange distance by making lenses that go inside the body like the old Nikkor 21 mm f/4

Pentax has shown such a lens, it should be on the market soon.

-- hide signature --

Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +19 more
miles green
Re: Small FF mirrorless - not likely

The angle of incidence is a problem for wide angles designed for rangefinders, or ones like the Nikkor Eric posted. However, these are exceptions to the rule: most lens designed for slrs are retrofocus, including the wides, and won't cause this problem.

Leica's new wides are huge (and ridiculously expensive) for this reason. They fixed vignetting for older lens with built-in software. Zeiss ZMs and Voigtlanders need some PPing to get rid of the colored vignetting. The sigma DP1 has (had?) that issue too, also "solved" with software (I think it's called "Vignette").

But as i said, this is for old-style not-for-digital rangefinder wide-angles. 99% of slr lens should have no colored vignetting problem on a FF mirrorless. Other than becoming 100% manual of course...

This said, i really hope Pentax gives us a FF before i find myself buying Leica R's and Contax-Zeisses for a Sony Nex-9!.... It just sounds sacriligious!

JNR wrote:

Eric has it exactly right. Corners are a big problem, especially for wide angle lenses given current sensor technology.
--
JNR
http://www.jamesrobins.com

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Corfu, Greece

leopold Forum Pro • Posts: 14,083
Eric...

viking79 wrote:

The only issue with a FF NEX is that corner performance on the NEX is already a problem and it is APS-C. Range finder lenses cause color shifting at the corners, etc, they would be totally unusable on a FF sensor unless the sensor was designed differently.

You're right, it's not mention often,

I don't think we will see a short flange sensor for mirrorless FF any time soon, besides Leica M9 (which also has corner performance problems, but they correct a lot of them in software).

Since i'm shooting RAW, I prefer lenses with pure high IQ than "fake" IQ by a camera processor.

I think a likely first mirrorless full frame camera could be something like the K-01 with a long flange distance, which defeats most of the reasons to use a mirrorless camera, although they could make smaller wide angles without the mirror even with the longer flange distance by making lenses that go inside the body like the old Nikkor 21 mm f/4

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/ultrawides/21mm.htm

This is also the type of lens we might see for the K-01. Basically though, any short flange full frame camera is going to require special optics that collimate (make parallel) the light rays before they hit the sensor so they don't hit at as strong of angles in the corners. I.e. more expensive lenses.

Yep !

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)

See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

leopold's gear list:leopold's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +3 more
MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 40,526

At first i figured that lens would be strictly for the K-01, however if you take some measurements and do a little estimating you might find that that lens won't affect the mirror on an APS-C DSLR
--
Mike from Canada

"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."

'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

Unexpresivecanvas Senior Member • Posts: 1,158
I am confused now.. it is about K3 being already at B&H ...... |)

Hi Leopold,

Nothing wrong with it, but just curious and trying to understand here how this thread about the K-3 being available already at B/H derived into a lens discussion for NEX cameras?

To the OP, did you manage to get back to your inside contact at the store to confirm there is a K3 in the pipeline already? I am anxiously waiting to hear more about it. Actually, I can't wait to know more about the K-3 specs.

trimbak Junior Member • Posts: 33
Re: K-3 (Pretty happy that it will be APS-C)

Hello all,

I am a new participant in this forum, but have been shooting Pentax for quiet some time. To be very honest, when the digital revolution came along, I chose Pentax since they were competitive Price-wise compared to the big two names. I did notice lack of lens choices compared to the big two names and some aspects of better image quality and functionality in the top two brands. But, frankly, for my purposes Pentax was (and is) more than sufficient. I was, until very recently, very happy with the lens prices that Pentax offered and never imagined myself moving to the heavy, cumbersome and EXPENSIVE full-frame options. So, in a way I am happy that K-5 replacement is a APS-C camera, since it will keep my kit prices down, if I decide to expand more than what I already have.

Do people really miss the Full-frame (35 mm film) aspect that much? The only time I miss it is when I am using a 50 mm f/1.4 lens on my old film camera. Nothing in my digital arsenal can match that frame and the eventual shallow depth-of-field.

My wish is that, if Pentax folks decide to develop a full-frame DSLR camera, they should not abandon the development of their excellent APS-c ones and think about some of their customers for whom money is also an issue. BTW, I still use my 'old' K20D and did not jump on K7 or K5 despite glowing reviews.
Trimbak

trimbak Junior Member • Posts: 33

P.S: I also wish that the lens prices come down

miles green

Hi Trimbak,

Although i am anxiously awaiting a FF Pentax for the very reasons you described, i also will keep a high-end aps-c in my arsenal, for zooms, travel, reach with long lens, etc... So I'm happy about the potential K3 being aps-C and the K30 being in B&H already. In fact, i'd rather have a high-tech APS-C and a bare-bones (but high quality) full frame than the other way round.

trimbak wrote:

P.S: I also wish that the lens prices come down

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Corfu, Greece

miles green
Re: I am confused now.. it is about K3 being already at B&H ...... |)

Unexpresivecanvas wrote:

Hi Leopold,

Nothing wrong with it, but just curious and trying to understand here how this thread about the K-3 being available already at B/H derived into a lens discussion for NEX cameras?

My bad! (Leo is innocent)

It started with confusion between K30 vs K3, The K3 name often being used for the hoped for full frame. The evil thing started as a viable alternative to not having said full frame in the Pentax lineup. My apologies to the OP for the digression / hi-jacking!

To the OP, did you manage to get back to your inside contact at the store to confirm there is a K3 in the pipeline already? I am anxiously waiting to hear more about it. Actually, I can't wait to know more about the K-3 specs.

Me too!

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Corfu, Greece

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads