x10 new sensor opinion from a professional photographer

Started Jun 24, 2012 | Discussions
xeriwthe Contributing Member • Posts: 501
x10 new sensor opinion from a professional photographer

for anyone who cares, i found it interesting. see the opinions of Lindsay-Ann, she has also posted many samples from the new sensor on her website to which she links

http://www.flickr.com/groups/fuji_x10/discuss/72157629890640679/

long story short, new sensor creates great images, just a bit noisier, maybe a bit less dynamic range, a bit less contrast. not exactly the same colors as before. but minus the problematic speculars

hope this doesn't result in her site getting DOS'd again

Fujifilm X10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Jim Cassatt Veteran Member • Posts: 4,928
Re: x10 new sensor opinion from a professional photographer

Interesting comparison. Like many, I have not been bothered by orbs and really like the images. I think I will wait before sending my camera in.
--
Jim
http://www.pbase.com/jcassatt

Jim Cassatt's gear list:Jim Cassatt's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony RX100 VI Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 300D Fujifilm X-E1 +18 more
Mark H
Mark H Veteran Member • Posts: 3,812
Too 'anecdotal' to rely upon...

xeriwthe wrote:

for anyone who cares, i found it interesting. see the opinions of Lindsay-Ann, she has also posted many samples from the new sensor on her website to which she links

http://www.flickr.com/groups/fuji_x10/discuss/72157629890640679/

long story short, new sensor creates great images, just a bit noisier, maybe a bit less dynamic range, a bit less contrast. not exactly the same colors as before. but minus the problematic speculars

I think L.A.'s comments are too 'anecdotal' to be relied to heavily upon.

Re noise, DR, colour etc, reliable comparison can only be made by shooting exactly the same subjects, with the two different camera/sensors, at the same time/under same conditions.

The only thing of real note is that the newer sensor doesn't 'orb/bloom' as the original sensor did - which shouldn't be a big surprise really.

OP xeriwthe Contributing Member • Posts: 501
Re: Too 'anecdotal' to rely upon...

I agree very anecdotal, just an opinion, not to be relied upon.

but it confirms what i have seen in various before/after tests that I have seen around the web. a tad more noise. not exactly the same colors.

Kim Letkeman
Kim Letkeman Forum Pro • Posts: 33,437
Re: Too 'anecdotal' to rely upon...

xeriwthe wrote:

I agree very anecdotal, just an opinion, not to be relied upon.

but it confirms what i have seen in various before/after tests that I have seen around the web. a tad more noise. not exactly the same colors.

And it appears that there are still some ORBs buried in the images .. but they do seem to be quite a bit rarer and smaller from what was posted over the last couple of days.

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Nikon D7200 +17 more
ddtan Contributing Member • Posts: 946

If I could get my pictures to turn out like she does, I would be a happy man. Anecdotal or not, a case is slowly being built on the web for the differences between the 2 sensors. So far, I'm starting to feel better about not getting the new sensor.

ddtan's gear list:ddtan's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +4 more
GaryJP
GaryJP Veteran Member • Posts: 6,604
"It's not a flaw it's a quality"

Ah Flickr, home of denial.

But Lindsay does take some of the best pictures I've seen with this camera.

-- hide signature --
 GaryJP's gear list:GaryJP's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon G1 X II Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot G5 X Canon G7 X II +15 more
OP xeriwthe Contributing Member • Posts: 501
Re: "It's not a flaw it's a quality"

lol i guess that makes dpreview the home of decrial. and in like-fashion i'm here to poo-poo the new sensor that ya'lls have fought so hard for

GaryJP

xeriwthe wrote:

lol i guess that makes dpreview the home of decrial. and in like-fashion i'm here to poo-poo the new sensor that ya'lls have fought so hard for

What people wanted was a fix.

If Fuji can't manage that, even after nine months, it only goes to confirm to me what I already believe about them.

So feel free to poo-poo as much as you like.

-- hide signature --
Sony RX100 II Canon G1 X II Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot G5 X Canon G7 X II +15 more
nicoboston Regular Member • Posts: 200

GaryJP wrote:

http://garyp.zenfolio.com/p518883873/

And DP Review is the Home of Morons ?

DS21 Senior Member • Posts: 2,417

nicoboston wrote:

GaryJP wrote:

Obviously you are right at home here.

DS21's gear list:DS21's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-01 Fujifilm FinePix S100fs Olympus Stylus 1 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
depscribe Senior Member • Posts: 1,223

It is sadly true that with consumer products people tend to behave as if products are like athletic teams or something, where one projects his or her -- usually his -- self worth onto some product or manufacturer. (For a hilarious extreme of this, go to someplace like crackberry.com, where boys who will never know woman -- it really ought to be a palm website -- believe that their telephones make them cool.)

Seems to me that as consumers we should purchase products to perform or ease tasks. If they work, we are happy with them and might recommend them. If they fall short, we might note that and not recommend them.

Fuji has recently produced products that are almost brilliant. They would be brilliant but for execution in some cases. I have an old F70EXR that would be a very nice camera if Fuji had only added correction for purple fringing to the firmware. This is so commonly done nowadays that it is almost trivial. But they didn't. I do not know why, and neither does anyone here. My X100 is an almost brilliant camera that would be one of the best cameras ever were they to have done a few things that ought to be simple. Parallax correction was not there at all at first; then they added a second floating focus box that helps -- but the old, now useless, one remains for reasons unknown. And the framing box is unchanged. There ought to be a lock for the exposure compensation dial, which is too easily inadvertently changed.

The X10 has had various problems, all of them kind of niggling. The orb issue is of great significance to a handful of people, of little significance to others, and of practically no significance to still others. It shouldn't exist at all. Then again, I'd happily accept orbs in exchange for a center box in the finder that roughly -- it must by design be rough -- corresponds to the focusing spot.

There may, too, be a bit of a quality control issue. I fell for the orb fix, which btw is fine, no objections in that regard, but received a replacement camera which introduces a new problem: the off detent in the zoom ring is not at all firm, so now it is easily to accidentally turn on the camera. In firmware, there is no way to leave the captured image on the LCD so that it can be checked after making a picture using the viewfinder. (A proper solution would be a menu item that would display the image until the shutter is half-pressed, after which it blanks, for those of us who otherwise don't use the LCD. This is is a pretty obvious thing.

All that having been said, it does not imply that Fuji is a company of God-like humans among us; nor is it a company of evil and dishonest persons seeking to fool the credulous. It is a company. It makes cameras, which we are free to purchase or not purchase as our mood suits us. In most places, return after purchase is not complicated.

But some seem to tie their self worth, as I said, to consumer products. Poor dears.
--
depscribe
some pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/depscribe/collections/

depscribe's gear list:depscribe's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D7100 Fujifilm X-T1 +11 more
richheath Forum Member • Posts: 61

Very well said, Depscribe.

richheath's gear list:richheath's gear list
Fujifilm X70 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +3 more
JJJPhoto Senior Member • Posts: 2,584
Ah, dpreview

GaryJP wrote:

Ah, dpreview, home of people who assume anyone with a different opinion must be wrong.

JJJPhoto's gear list:JJJPhoto's gear list
Sony RX1 A3000 Sony a77 II Sony Alpha a99 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +6 more
Tom Schum
Tom Schum Forum Pro • Posts: 10,028

DS21 wrote:

nicoboston wrote:

GaryJP wrote:

Obviously you are right at home here.

This is the beginning of a rich vein of treasure, but I'm not touching it!
--
Tom Schum

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma dp0 Quattro Fujifilm X30 Panasonic ZS100 Sigma sd Quattro Fujifilm X-E1 +15 more
Billx08 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,373
Re: Ah, dpreview

JJJPhoto wrote:

GaryJP wrote:

Ah, dpreview, home of people who assume anyone with a different opinion must be wrong.

That's basic human nature and it's true for most people, not just those that you meet here in DPR's forums. If you don't agree, you're wrong!   Some people, even in these forums, are willing to entertain different opinions, but I'll leave it to you to form an opinion as to whether they're in the minority or majority.

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,214

Wow,

I haven't been here for months.
But it seems that you're still angry with FF.

Fujifilm might be able to replace that camera of yours, or even compensate you for what you claimed as damaged shots.

How are they going to compensate you for 9 months of angst, stress and lost of peace ... and the health issues that comes with it?

My advise would be not to grab the camera without a through review by expert and peers.

GaryJP wrote:

xeriwthe wrote:

What people wanted was a fix.

If Fuji can't manage that, even after nine months, it only goes to confirm to me what I already believe about them.

So feel free to poo-poo as much as you like.

GaryJP
Flickr Again

Or almost any web forum.

So what's the point?

JJJPhoto wrote:

GaryJP wrote:

"Home of people who assume anyone with a different opinion must be wrong."

-- hide signature --
vishcompany New Member • Posts: 2
check picture after shot

depscribe wrote:

... In firmware, there is no way to leave the captured image on the LCD so that it can be checked after making a picture using the viewfinder. (A proper solution would be a menu item that would display the image until the shutter is half-pressed, after which it blanks, for those of us who otherwise don't use the LCD. This is is a pretty obvious thing.

FWIW, you can set it exactly this way in the setup menu. ("Image Disp." on the second page of setup menu)

flektogon
flektogon Veteran Member • Posts: 4,570

xeriwthe wrote:

I can see how more and more people (maybe myself including) in a near future will be chasing the original x10, because the orbs here ords there the image quality is otherwise better.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads