1dii for safari

Started Jun 21, 2012 | Discussions
foskram Forum Member • Posts: 50
1dii for safari

I am heading out to South Africa in a couple of weeks and will be
Doing a couple of safari, as well as photographing penguins etc.
I had intended taking my 40d and 550d, but have been offered a
deal on a 1dii. Any thoughts on this as an alternative to one
of the other cameras? Lenses will be 100-400, 200 2.8, 3,
17-85.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4) Canon EOS-1D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OP foskram Forum Member • Posts: 50
Re: 1dii for safari

That should have said 35 f2!

kevindar
kevindar Veteran Member • Posts: 4,548
Re: 1dii for safari

I would take it over the 40D, but not 550D. You will generally be reach limited, and the higher focus density of 550D will really help.

If you are leaving from states, this is a pretty expensive trip, and for many a trip of a life time. may be worth spending a couple of hundred dollars and renting a 1d4 or even a 7d.
--
http://razzi.me/kevindar/photos

 kevindar's gear list:kevindar's gear list
Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Sony a7R II Sony a6300 +25 more
mike cooper Regular Member • Posts: 190
Re: 1dii for safari

I second the idea of renting a body. Take a look at: https://www.lensrentals.com/for-canon . I was very surprised at the cost to rent a 7D for 30 days. I am planning a safari for next year and thinking about taking a second body for the crop factor. I currently own a 5D Mark II. The 7D is a great camera. Only thing I would recommend is getting one for 4 days soon so you have time to get used to it. I understand the focus system is very different as are the controls.

Good luck on your trip - post pictures when you get back.

Michael H Contributing Member • Posts: 627
Re: 1dii for safari

It is still a very capable body, especially for high speed action. The 1D Mark IV is certainly better (I have both), but either way you go, make sure you get the body and use it a few times before you go on Safari.

Michael Thomas Mitchell Forum Pro • Posts: 11,777
Re: 1dii for safari

A Rebel? Focus density? The 550D inherited the same focus system as its predecessor, the 500D (T1i), which my wife owns. The 1DII and the 550D don't even compare in the focus department.

If 8MP is enough resolution for you, then the 1DII would definitely be the best of the three. Low light/ high ISO performance may be slightly better in the 40D, if that is a factor. You won't be able to use that 17-85 lens, as it is an EF-S type only useable on the APS-C sensor cameras.

Just a year ago, the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History in Washington DC displayed more than a hundred LARGE prints of its nature photography contest. The 1D Mark II not only used in more images than any other I saw on display, but also took the Grand Prize. (It was not an "old" contest, as other image made with very current cameras were also winners.) One observation that both my wife and I made was that resolution had no significantly discernible relation to print quality. Although prints varied in size from small poster to wall-sized, quality was high across the board, regardless of the resolution of the camera used. As a longtime 1DIIN owner, it was a humbling experience to realize that I had never come close to realizing the full potential of such a wonderful camera.

The 1DIIN won't hesitate. It will punch out images like you've never experienced, it's 8fps more than enough to capture whatever action you encounter. It's weather sealing will be perfect for protection from harsh elements. And the dual card slots (set to backup mode) will insure that you don't loose a shot due to card failure. Though superceded by other fine cameras in the 1D line, the 1DII will still deliver the goods, and would be a far better choice for a safari than either of your two other options.

Have fun!

kevindar wrote:

I would take it over the 40D, but not 550D. You will generally be reach limited, and the higher focus density of 550D will really help.

If you are leaving from states, this is a pretty expensive trip, and for many a trip of a life time. may be worth spending a couple of hundred dollars and renting a 1d4 or even a 7d.
--
http://razzi.me/kevindar/photos

 Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list:Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM
kevindar
kevindar Veteran Member • Posts: 4,548
Re: 1dii for safari

Michael Thomas Mitchell wrote:

A Rebel? Focus density? The 550D inherited the same focus system as its predecessor, the 500D (T1i), which my wife owns. The 1DII and the 550D don't even compare in the focus department.

that is meant to say Pixel density, and I am sure you surmised. t2i has 18Mp on a 1.6 crop sensor. canon 1d2 has 8 MP on a 1.3x sensor. the 550D has more than twice the pixel density. having shot an 18MP sensor with 100-400L, the images very good at 400mm, with a fair bit of cropping.

If 8MP is enough resolution for you, then the 1DII would definitely be the best of the three. Low light/ high ISO performance may be slightly better in the 40D, if that is a factor. You won't be able to use that 17-85 lens, as it is an EF-S type only useable on the APS-C sensor cameras.

Just a year ago, the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History in Washington DC displayed more than a hundred LARGE prints of its nature photography contest. The 1D Mark II not only used in more images than any other I saw on display, but also took the Grand Prize. (It was not an "old" contest, as other image made with very current cameras were also winners.) One observation that both my wife and I made was that resolution had no significantly discernible relation to print quality. Although prints varied in size from small poster to wall-sized, quality was high across the board, regardless of the resolution of the camera used. As a longtime 1DIIN owner, it was a humbling experience to realize that I had never come close to realizing the full potential of such a wonderful camera.

The 1DIIN won't hesitate. It will punch out images like you've never experienced, it's 8fps more than enough to capture whatever action you encounter. It's weather sealing will be perfect for protection from harsh elements. And the dual card slots (set to backup mode) will insure that you don't loose a shot due to card failure. Though superceded by other fine cameras in the 1D line, the 1DII will still deliver the goods, and would be a far better choice for a safari than either of your two other options.

I stay with my first recommendation of renting a 7D, or 1d4 if you can afford it. If you are reach limited, which you will be, the 7D will net you better images than 1d2, simply as that. even the t2i net you better images of non fast moving objects, again if you are reach limited.

I have shot with t2i, 20D, 40D, 60D, 7D, 5d2, 5d3 and 1d4.

Have fun!

kevindar wrote:

I would take it over the 40D, but not 550D. You will generally be reach limited, and the higher focus density of 550D will really help.

If you are leaving from states, this is a pretty expensive trip, and for many a trip of a life time. may be worth spending a couple of hundred dollars and renting a 1d4 or even a 7d.
--
http://razzi.me/kevindar/photos

 kevindar's gear list:kevindar's gear list
Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Sony a7R II Sony a6300 +25 more
Bill Robinson Veteran Member • Posts: 4,462
Re: 1dii for safari

I had the 40D and have a 1Dmk2. I'd be taking the mk2.
The AF is so much better.

I'd also be tempted to take a 1.4 converter as well.

cheers
Bill

Gotta believe in something....I believe I'll take another photo!

http://www.pbase.com/billrobinson

 Bill Robinson's gear list:Bill Robinson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom
Michael Thomas Mitchell Forum Pro • Posts: 11,777
Re: 1dii for safari

Sorry, I didn't think of pixel density when you said focus density. Makes more sense, of course, but people do say some crazy stuff around here...

Sure, I'd take a 7D. That just wasn't one of the options mentioned. No way to the Rebel, though.

Glad to see you've shot with so many cameras, by the way. There's a lot of people around here who have.

kevindar wrote:

Michael Thomas Mitchell wrote:

A Rebel? Focus density? The 550D inherited the same focus system as its predecessor, the 500D (T1i), which my wife owns. The 1DII and the 550D don't even compare in the focus department.

that is meant to say Pixel density, and I am sure you surmised. t2i has 18Mp on a 1.6 crop sensor. canon 1d2 has 8 MP on a 1.3x sensor. the 550D has more than twice the pixel density. having shot an 18MP sensor with 100-400L, the images very good at 400mm, with a fair bit of cropping.

If 8MP is enough resolution for you, then the 1DII would definitely be the best of the three. Low light/ high ISO performance may be slightly better in the 40D, if that is a factor. You won't be able to use that 17-85 lens, as it is an EF-S type only useable on the APS-C sensor cameras.

Just a year ago, the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History in Washington DC displayed more than a hundred LARGE prints of its nature photography contest. The 1D Mark II not only used in more images than any other I saw on display, but also took the Grand Prize. (It was not an "old" contest, as other image made with very current cameras were also winners.) One observation that both my wife and I made was that resolution had no significantly discernible relation to print quality. Although prints varied in size from small poster to wall-sized, quality was high across the board, regardless of the resolution of the camera used. As a longtime 1DIIN owner, it was a humbling experience to realize that I had never come close to realizing the full potential of such a wonderful camera.

The 1DIIN won't hesitate. It will punch out images like you've never experienced, it's 8fps more than enough to capture whatever action you encounter. It's weather sealing will be perfect for protection from harsh elements. And the dual card slots (set to backup mode) will insure that you don't loose a shot due to card failure. Though superceded by other fine cameras in the 1D line, the 1DII will still deliver the goods, and would be a far better choice for a safari than either of your two other options.

I stay with my first recommendation of renting a 7D, or 1d4 if you can afford it. If you are reach limited, which you will be, the 7D will net you better images than 1d2, simply as that. even the t2i net you better images of non fast moving objects, again if you are reach limited.

I have shot with t2i, 20D, 40D, 60D, 7D, 5d2, 5d3 and 1d4.

Have fun!

kevindar wrote:

I would take it over the 40D, but not 550D. You will generally be reach limited, and the higher focus density of 550D will really help.

If you are leaving from states, this is a pretty expensive trip, and for many a trip of a life time. may be worth spending a couple of hundred dollars and renting a 1d4 or even a 7d.
--
http://razzi.me/kevindar/photos

 Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list:Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM
James S Regular Member • Posts: 279
Re: 1dii for safari

The 1D MKii will last all day on one battery and a new battery is cheap. Considering the size of some of the animals and the bouncing around you will be taking the 100-400 will balance with the camera wonderfully. It will write quickly to fast SDHC cards as well as CF. Read the old review in the archives on DPreview and see what you think. It will handle large capacity cards. One downside is cleaning the sensor. It doesn't have the self cleaning abilities of the newer cameras. You will need some way to check to see if it needs a sensor Kleen or brush up at least at the end of the day. The devices that let you look right at the sensor really work (I use the one from Delkin).But I would think that you would have to do that anyway on any camera you use especially if you change lenses. By the way the 100-400 doesn't suck dust into the camera, just into itself.

DPP still supports the camera, but it isn't supported in Camera Utility any more once you upgrade the software and for some personal functions to be set up you needed to use the Utility. I doubt you'll miss them and the chances are since it is used the camera is already set up to use 3 personal settings. These are changed from the camera once done with the software. Direct downloading from the camera uses firewire, not USB. Just use a card reader.

PS I just ordered another battery for mine and since they are nickel metal hydride I don't worry about the problems that a knock off creates with Lithium Ion.
--
James S

kevindar
kevindar Veteran Member • Posts: 4,548
Re: 1dii for safari

Michael Thomas Mitchell wrote:

Sorry, I didn't think of pixel density when you said focus density. Makes more sense, of course, but people do say some crazy stuff around here...

Sure, I'd take a 7D. That just wasn't one of the options mentioned. No way to the Rebel, though.

Glad to see you've shot with so many cameras, by the way. There's a lot of people around here who have.

Well, we just disagree then. on his original post the Op said he has a t2i and 40D which he was taking and a chance of taking a 1d2, and I told him I would take the 1d2 instead of the 40D along t2i (although that may not have been as clear). so go with 1d2 plus t2i among his choices. and I still find the hi pixel density of t2i very useful for shooting wildlife when focal lenght limited. t2i has many shortcomings of course, with slower fps as well as a very poor raw buffer the jpeg buffer is decent and the Ai servo in center is decent. I think going back to op question, it would be the best complement to 1d2. much of safari shots that I have seen at least are not action shots anyway.

As for mentioning the cameras I have shot with, I find that it validates some degree of knowledge and first hand experience, and would be useful to me, if I were asking questions and weighing answers, and as such relevant to the discussion.

 kevindar's gear list:kevindar's gear list
Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Sony a7R II Sony a6300 +25 more
OP foskram Forum Member • Posts: 50
Re: 1dii for safari

Thanks for all your responses so far. I won't be hiring a 7D - I will either go what I have or get the 1Dii. The actual quality of images from the 550D is similar to the 7D and as one respondent commented, lots of safari images are static. I will be taking a 1.4 converter and a flashgun. Another advantage of the 1 series is, of course, the F8 autofocus.

I haven't used a 1 series camera since film days and still have an EOS 3 hibernating in a cupboard, so I suppose i am curious to experiment with the 1 series without too much financial outlay.But it would have to be right for a not too frequent kind of trip, though i did a similar S Africa trip 4 years ago.

Thanks again for your responses. Some very positive views on the 1Dii.

Incidentally, I really like the images from the 40D and 550D - but am also extremely impressed with images I still see produced from older models such as the 1Dii and the 5Dc.

old age adventurers Regular Member • Posts: 158
Re: 1dii for safari

We spend 4-6 months in African game parks each year. I always have my IDIV coupled to my Canon 500mm f/4.0 IS lens. My problem was whether to replace the 1DII with the 7D for my Canon 70-200mm lens after the Veolia Wildlife photography competition initially stated they would only accept 10Mpx pictures from 2011. I found out later that they had withdrawn that rule. However I had already bought the 7D for that year's safari and left the 1DII at home.

Compared to the 1DII I do like the extra length the 7D provides, via the smaller sensor and the greater cropping it allows. The main problem is the much poorer quality of the high ISO compared to my 1DIV. I haven't done a comparison of high ISO values quality between the 7D & IDII, but I find myself reluctant to use the 7D in poor light and thus continue to use the 1DIV + 500mm lens even when a wider angle lens would be more appropriate for e.g. group compositions.

It would also be gret top have all ones cameras using the same layout. But the ID series layout has cahnged so much with time that the 1DII doesnt have advantages in this area.
--
Old age adventurers
http://www.africaraw.com

Anton26 Regular Member • Posts: 103
Re: 1dii for safari

I did al my shots in SA with my 1DII and as you see on this picture there are
a lot of ways to get your pictures.....

for more see my site http://www.tonvanwijngaarden.nl

 Anton26's gear list:Anton26's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Sony a7R II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +8 more
rddelliott Regular Member • Posts: 246
Re: 1dii for safari

Just a reminder that Canon no longer supports the 1D II. The 1D IIn yes but probably not much longer according to Canon CPS.
--
rddelliott

 rddelliott's gear list:rddelliott's gear list
Sony a7R
TomCreek Regular Member • Posts: 108
CPS

rddelliott wrote:

Just a reminder that Canon no longer supports the 1D II. The 1D IIn yes but probably not much longer according to Canon CPS.
--
rddelliott

RD, can you expound on that? I'm not a CPS member, but snooped around the site but can't find that info. What exactly does "support" mean? I went to Canonusa site, and clicked through to "repair" section, and was able to do so for my 1d2, as well as the older 1D.

I guess I can't imagine not being able to send my 1d2 in for shutter replacement when it needs it in a couple of years perhaps...

thanks
Tom

fhorn1 Regular Member • Posts: 133
Re: ISO

I would agree with adventurer that if you are not using fast lenses you need to consider how well the camera does high ISO. You are probably aware that the best times of day to catch big game are dawn and dusk. With the 100 - 400mm you are likely to be using 1600 ISO at these times.
Good luck with the trip.

Where are you going?

Peter

 fhorn1's gear list:fhorn1's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Leica M-E Typ 220 Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Leica Elmarit-M 21mm f/2.8 ASPH Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +3 more
Fao91 Contributing Member • Posts: 552
Re: ISO

Just google "alex bernasconi"
Check his 2005(i think)african shoots.
He used the Nikon D100,that thing is a piece of c#%p by today standards.
I don't remenber what glass he used.
Enjoy the trip and and post some images when you get back.

Im sure your "cat" pictures taken with any of those cameras will beat all of the cat pictures taken with the D800 and 5d mk3 we have seen in the last couple of months around here :-))
--
Francisco
http://www.flickr.com/photos/franciscoabreuonofre/sets/

 Fao91's gear list:Fao91's gear list
Nikon D5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +4 more
OP foskram Forum Member • Posts: 50
Re: ISO

Thanks again to everyone for their thoughts. I had a good look at the camera today and I wasn't happy with the shutter. I will have a look for another copy, but there don't seem to be that many in Manchester UK area. So if I can't locate one fairly quickly, I will stick to the cameras I know.

I will be touring around for four weeks, but concentrating on Addo, Simon's Town and Kruger. I am hoping that there will be less flooding than here in northern England!

Peter, I no longer own the 400 2.8, so will just make do with a 200 2.8 for low light.

Thanks again for comments.

rddelliott Regular Member • Posts: 246
Re: CPS

Tom:

Canon no longer repairs the 1D or the 1D mark II and the IIN will soon not be supported. I means in order to replace a shutter in either of these cameras you will have to find a third party repair facility.
--
rddelliott

 rddelliott's gear list:rddelliott's gear list
Sony a7R
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads