GX1 with off-camera flash Sync Speed

Started Jun 21, 2012 | Discussions
JordanMFT New Member • Posts: 13
GX1 with off-camera flash Sync Speed

Hello all -

If I buy an off-camera flash which supports high-speed sync, can I increase the shutter speed of my GX1 over the 1/160th limit it imposes with the integrated flash?

If this has already been asked a million times I apologize... I probably haven't been searching for the right terms.

Thanks
-Jordan

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Alien from Mars
Alien from Mars Contributing Member • Posts: 569
Re: GX1 with off-camera flash Sync Speed

I had at least 1/200s with the Metz 50 AF-1

Alien from Mars's gear list:Alien from Mars's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
Mike_PEAT Forum Pro • Posts: 13,344
With FourThirds Panasonic-Olympus compatible flash...

JordanMFT wrote:

If I buy an off-camera flash which supports high-speed sync, can I increase the shutter speed of my GX1 over the 1/160th limit it imposes with the integrated flash?

You need an Olympus-Panasonic TTL compatible flash. With this flash you'd enable FP (Focal Plane) mode. Note that when you go above sync speed your power output drops. This page explains how FP mode works:
http://www.photozone.de/hi-speed-flash-sync

Chas2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,634
Re: GX1 with off-camera flash Sync Speed. Does the GX1 support HSS?

I was not aware that it did....sort of a problem with Panasonic MFT cameras...I see nothing in the manual about it.

Chas2's gear list:Chas2's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +12 more
Re: Ignore my last post...I am wrong.

I take that back. I just did it with my GH1 and GF1. 1/800, using the FL50 in FP mode. So it should work with the GX1 also, provided you have the correct flash unit.

Sorry for the mis information!

Chas2 wrote:

I was not aware that it did....sort of a problem with Panasonic MFT cameras...I see nothing in the manual about it.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +12 more
Alien from Mars
Alien from Mars Contributing Member • Posts: 569
Re: GX1 with off-camera flash Sync Speed

Up to 1/800 actually, did not try faster.

Alien from Mars's gear list:Alien from Mars's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
And by the way, it works off camera..

....FL50 with a dedicated cord I bought on ebay I think from rainbowimaging, but there are plenty of places that sell the Pixel brand.

grapher
grapher Senior Member • Posts: 1,119
G3 and FP-flash work up to 1/4000 off-camera

The G3 (which is closely related to the GX1) works perfectly with a FP-flash and a cheap canon-clone TTL-cable, up to the shutterspeed of 1/4000.

Be aware that each increase of shutterspeed (above sync-speed) by 2 EV-steps will half the range of your FP-flash.

grapher's gear list:grapher's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads