D800 cheap battery pack's

Started Jun 20, 2012 | Discussions
cosmicnode Senior Member • Posts: 2,491
D800 cheap battery pack's

For those interested there are Pixel vertex and Meike battery packs available for the D800 and E bodies available on eBay, I find that the body fits my long fingered hands very well unlike previous non pro Nikon's which required a battery pack to feel comfortable. I will probably buy one of these for the occasions I need 6fps in DX for motorsport, but will not leave it fitted at all times. These appear to be the same item sold under different names. I know these will not be the same quality as the Nikon original but will be useful for occasional use with AA batteries.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Meike-Battery-Holder-Grip-Battery-Grip-for-Nikon-D800-D800E-/120936034277?pt=UK_Camera_Battery_Grips&hash=item1c28596fe5

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pixel-Vertax-D12-Battery-Grip-for-Nikon-D800-D800E-MB-D12-DSLR-ENEL15-MBD12-E507-/290731747365?pt=UK_Camera_Battery_Grips&hash=item43b0f66825
--
Mike.

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure."

 cosmicnode's gear list:cosmicnode's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
bkushner Contributing Member • Posts: 542
Re: D800 cheap battery pack's

Don't you need the D4 battery to get the increased frame rate? Will the knock offs hold the d4 battery?
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bkushner/

BeachnCruz Senior Member • Posts: 2,034
Re: D800 Pixel Vertex and Meike battery Battery Grip Packs

Will the Pixel Vertex or Meike Battery Grip Packs designed for D800 work with an En-El18 D4 Battery also ?

Will a Nikon BL-5 Battery Adapter Cover (intended for use with En-El18 Battery when adapted to the Nikon D800 Grip) fit aftermarket Pixel Vertex or Meike Battery Grip Packs?

Will the Really Right Stuff or Kirk L-Bracket/Plate designed for use with Nikon D800 + Nikon Battery Grip Pack also fit D800 if using an aftermarket Pixel Vertex or Meike D800 Battery Grip Pack ?

OP cosmicnode Senior Member • Posts: 2,491
Re: D800 cheap battery pack's

bkushner wrote:

Don't you need the D4 battery to get the increased frame rate? Will the knock offs hold the d4 battery?
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bkushner/

I think you can get the extra frame rate from the 8AA batteries

-- hide signature --

Mike.

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure."

 cosmicnode's gear list:cosmicnode's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
RicAllan Contributing Member • Posts: 795
Re: D800 cheap battery pack's (Observation and Question)

cosmicnode wrote:

For those interested there are Pixel vertex and Meike battery packs available for the D800 and E bodies available on eBay, I find that the body fits my long fingered hands very well unlike previous non pro Nikon's which required a battery pack to feel comfortable. I will probably buy one of these for the occasions I need 6fps in DX for motorsport, but will not leave it fitted at all times. These appear to be the same item sold under different names. I know these will not be the same quality as the Nikon original but will be useful for occasional use with AA batteries.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Meike-Battery-Holder-Grip-Battery-Grip-for-Nikon-D800-D800E-/120936034277?pt=UK_Camera_Battery_Grips&hash=item1c28596fe5

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pixel-Vertax-D12-Battery-Grip-for-Nikon-D800-D800E-MB-D12-DSLR-ENEL15-MBD12-E507-/290731747365?pt=UK_Camera_Battery_Grips&hash=item43b0f66825
--
Mike.

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure."

In looking at specs, it seems that the 'off brand' units use 6 AA batteries instead of the 8 the Nikon unit does... has anyone purchased one toand can they verify...???

-- hide signature --

Ric

 RicAllan's gear list:RicAllan's gear list
Nikon D4S Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +2 more
DANdeMAN
DANdeMAN Senior Member • Posts: 1,001
Pixel = 8 AA

According to my "investigation" lol the Pixel battery pack hold 8 AA units.
Read all about it here : http://www.pixelhk.com/Proshow.aspx?id=184
Is the Meike another company or is it the same case with a different name?
To be safe I would go with the Pixel one... If ever I do get one.

-- hide signature --

DANdeMAN SONY V3 (03-2005) - D800E on pre-order

 DANdeMAN's gear list:DANdeMAN's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +10 more
DANdeMAN
DANdeMAN Senior Member • Posts: 1,001
Re: D800 cheap battery pack's (Observation and Question)

RicAllan wrote:

In looking at specs, it seems that the 'off brand' units use 6 AA batteries instead of the 8 the Nikon unit does... has anyone purchased one toand can they verify...???

I have contacted the Pixel Vertax ebay seller with my findings and they have modified the description to 8AA instead of 6AA. They have confirmed this via an email to me.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/290731747365?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_2171wt_1044
--

DANdeMAN SONY V3 (03-2005) - D800E on pre-order

 DANdeMAN's gear list:DANdeMAN's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +10 more
Darren Langdon
Darren Langdon Contributing Member • Posts: 742
Re: D800 cheap battery pack's (Observation and Question)

The Pixel version seems better quality than the Meike version because of the metal pin versus a plastic one on the Meike grip.
--

One should never 'take' a photo but rather make one.....the only thing you should take is your time.

FCAS Member #104

 Darren Langdon's gear list:Darren Langdon's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +10 more
RicAllan Contributing Member • Posts: 795
Re: D800 cheap battery pack's (Observation and Question)

DANdeMAN wrote:

RicAllan wrote:

In looking at specs, it seems that the 'off brand' units use 6 AA batteries instead of the 8 the Nikon unit does... has anyone purchased one toand can they verify...???

I have contacted the Pixel Vertax ebay seller with my findings and they have modified the description to 8AA instead of 6AA. They have confirmed this via an email to me.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/290731747365?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_2171wt_1044
--

DANdeMAN SONY V3 (03-2005) - D800E on pre-order

I ordered one....

-- hide signature --

Ric

 RicAllan's gear list:RicAllan's gear list
Nikon D4S Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +2 more
DANdeMAN
DANdeMAN Senior Member • Posts: 1,001
Re: D800 cheap battery pack's (Observation and Question)

RicAllan wrote:

I ordered one....

Keep us abreast of your findings/evaluation....

-- hide signature --

DANdeMAN SONY V3 (03-2005) - D800E on pre-order

 DANdeMAN's gear list:DANdeMAN's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +10 more
Ariftjioe New Member • Posts: 5
Re: D800 cheap battery pack's (Observation and Question)

Is it really can hold 2 EN-EL15?

Ariftjioe New Member • Posts: 5
Re: D800 cheap battery pack's (Observation and Question)

They also mention it use the same raw material with the camera body. Is that mean it's made out of magnesium alloy instead of plastic?

OP cosmicnode Senior Member • Posts: 2,491
Re: D800 cheap battery pack's

I have ordered the Meike battery pack , I think that there has been confusion between different sellers about the number of AA batteries the grips hold, some saying 6 and others 8. however all appear to show the same 8 cell holder.

There are also batteries advertised to fit D7000 battery packs which may become available for the D800 pack "EN-EL15A" at 3400mah the Nikon battery is rated at 1700mah

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EN-EL15-EN-EL15A-BATTERY-FOR-NIKON-MB-D11-D7000-GRIP-/300553946920?pt=UK_Camera_Batteries&hash=item45fa694728 This may give the higher frame rate similar to the AA batteries and the battery from the D4
--
Mike.

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure."

 cosmicnode's gear list:cosmicnode's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
spbStan
spbStan Senior Member • Posts: 1,943
Re: D800 cheap battery pack's (Observation and Question)

The Mieki has a metal locator pin also. I like mine on the D7000 so will not hesitate to get one for my D800
--
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Darren Langdon
Darren Langdon Contributing Member • Posts: 742
Re: D800 cheap battery pack's (Observation and Question)

Are you sure? Do you have one? It sure looks like plastic in the pictures. The Pixel grip has a silver metal pin and the Meike has a black plastic looking pin. can you confirm it is metal?
--

One should never 'take' a photo but rather make one.....the only thing you should take is your time.

FCAS Member #104

 Darren Langdon's gear list:Darren Langdon's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +10 more
RicAllan Contributing Member • Posts: 795
Re: D800 cheap battery pack's

cosmicnode wrote:

I have ordered the Meike battery pack , I think that there has been confusion between different sellers about the number of AA batteries the grips hold, some saying 6 and others 8. however all appear to show the same 8 cell holder.

There are also batteries advertised to fit D7000 battery packs which may become available for the D800 pack "EN-EL15A" at 3400mah the Nikon battery is rated at 1700mah

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EN-EL15-EN-EL15A-BATTERY-FOR-NIKON-MB-D11-D7000-GRIP-/300553946920?pt=UK_Camera_Batteries&hash=item45fa694728 This may give the higher frame rate similar to the AA batteries and the battery from the D4
--
Mike.

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure."

I would be hesitant to assume this would fit the MB-D12 packs... until one is advertised for the specific grip.

-- hide signature --

Ric

 RicAllan's gear list:RicAllan's gear list
Nikon D4S Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +2 more
DafO Regular Member • Posts: 253
UK Pixel Grip sellers ?

Anybody know of any UK Pixel sellers ?
Particularly for grips / MB-D12 ?

Have been stung with import VAT + handling fees of late and want to avoid it.
Only seem to find HK sellers on eBay.

 DafO's gear list:DafO's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D200 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-T10 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
OP cosmicnode Senior Member • Posts: 2,491
Re: UK Pixel Grip sellers ?

I have never been hit with any extra costs previously from HK. I wonder if it's something to do with the old colony status allowing freer duties . Unless its under a small sum I always get hit from the USA. It could also depend on the weight of the package, a heavy package or large package "must have something valuable in it".
--
Mike.

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure."

 cosmicnode's gear list:cosmicnode's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
DafO Regular Member • Posts: 253
Re: UK Pixel Grip sellers ?

Actually - the recent one was from Canada not HK, but I was looking to avoid the risk regardless of country.

 DafO's gear list:DafO's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D200 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-T10 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
BeachnCruz Senior Member • Posts: 2,034
Anybody receive new aftermarket D800 Battery Pack Grip yet ?

Would like to see evaluations posted of new aftermarket D800 Battery Pack Grips and hopefully some answers to the many questions asked about them...... Pixel Vertax or Meike or ? .... please post evaluations ASAP.....

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads