5d Mark III low iso poor performance.

Started Jun 20, 2012 | Discussions
Alexandros Trichos
Alexandros Trichos Junior Member • Posts: 41
5d Mark III low iso poor performance.

Am I the only one to think that 5d MK3 has very poor performance in shadows, even in low isos like 100 or 200 ? High color noise, weird noise patterns, vertical bands/stripes all without any pushing!!!
Straight out of the box the images look terrible in the shadow areas.
Why is that? I am very disappointed. VERY disappointed ...
Even my poor old 350d did better in that domain...

Alexandros Trichos's gear list:Alexandros Trichos's gear list
Canon EOS 350D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +2 more
Canon EOS 350D (EOS Digital Rebel XT / EOS Kiss Digital N) Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
David Hull
David Hull Veteran Member • Posts: 6,341
Re: 5d Mark III low iso poor performance.

Alexandros Trichos wrote:

Am I the only one to think that 5d MK3 has very poor performance in shadows, even in low isos like 100 or 200 ? High color noise, weird noise patterns, vertical bands/stripes all without any pushing!!!
Straight out of the box the images look terrible in the shadow areas.
Why is that? I am very disappointed. VERY disappointed ...
Even my poor old 350d did better in that domain...

Sadly, you are the only one. Nobody has ever made this comment before, we have never heard of it.

David Hull's gear list:David Hull's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS R
Ogjetaknight Regular Member • Posts: 359

If you don't want your 5d3 I'll take it.

Ferrari_Alex Senior Member • Posts: 1,050

This comments is strange. For 3500 usd you can have it. But what is wrong with the fact that somebody is reporting an issue with the canera? Does it mean you need to pay crazy money and be super happy with everything you get, even if it has issues?
Strange logic

Ogjetaknight wrote:

carlk Forum Pro • Posts: 15,940

It seems the one who has it doesn't like it. The one who doesn't have it likes to have one but only if it's free.

Ferrari_Alex wrote:

This comments is strange. For 3500 usd you can have it. But what is wrong with the fact that somebody is reporting an issue with the canera? Does it mean you need to pay crazy money and be super happy with everything you get, even if it has issues?
Strange logic

Ogjetaknight wrote:

carlk's gear list:carlk's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +6 more
chippy_jersey Contributing Member • Posts: 707

Nope! Taken last night, ISO100

chippy_jersey's gear list:chippy_jersey's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
kevindar
kevindar Veteran Member • Posts: 4,583
defective may be?

unless there is a problem with your monitor rendering, etc, you certainly should not see noise at iso 100 in a properly exposed, unlatered shot, and no banding. If you do, something may be wrong with your sensor.
--
http://razzi.me/kevindar/photos

kevindar's gear list:kevindar's gear list
Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Sony a7R II Sony a6300 +25 more

Ferrari_Alex wrote:

Strange logic

Ogjetaknight wrote:

I have one but I'd take another. The OP and you can like or dislike whatever you want. What I can tell you is that his statement is either a rediculous over exaggeration or he needs to send it back to Canon for repair.

carlk wrote:

It seems the one who has it doesn't like it. The one who doesn't have it likes to have one but only if it's free.

Ferrari_Alex wrote:

Strange logic

Ogjetaknight wrote:

I do have one and it exhibits none of what the OP claims.

Alexandros Trichos
OP Alexandros Trichos Junior Member • Posts: 41

Canon EOS 350D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +2 more

Yep I can see banding, if you haven't pushed the exposure on these I'd recommend sending the camera to Canon for repair my copy would not display this banding normally.

Actually, at these iso values you shouldn't even see any noise unless you heavily manipulate the image.

Alexandros Trichos

snapperZ
snapperZ Contributing Member • Posts: 869

That doesn't look right at all. I'd see that with maybe a 2+ stop push to the darkest shadows.

snapperZ's gear list:snapperZ's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +29 more
Schwany
Schwany Forum Pro • Posts: 10,169
Oh boy

I think you're in for a lot of future disappointment, because these look normal to me.

With that said, I did get the Canon read noise cool aid kit and can't see read noise as it really appears anymore. I just see happy faces, and butterflies.

Seriously, looks normal for these exposures. Gonna have to apply some noise removal if you want to stick with this style of moody exposure.

Schwany's gear list:Schwany's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +14 more
Alexandros Trichos

I haven't pushed anything...

Could it be the Auto Lighting Optimizer or the Highlight tone priority or any other setting anywhere??? I am also using Lightroom 4.1...

Alexandros Trichos
Re: Oh boy

Make up your minds guys

Is this normal or not... Shall I return it and get another copy or is it ok ?
For me this is not a good performance...

Peter 13 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,301

If you really want to know the answer, post the RAW. The next best option is to tell us exactly what you did and how you created the crops (print screen, or not, etc.).

Alexandros Trichos

Those are exports from lightoom. Export as JPG (10 quality) with all noise reduction turned down and all the other default processing settings. Of course they are resampled 1000 pixels on the longest side.
I can post raws, it would be rather painful though...

Ok sorry, I just realized those are crops. Yes you may see this type of noise (banding) in highly cropped (100-200%) photos of this type without pushing and no noise reduction. Sorry to say your photos look normal.

A little noise reduction will help these type of shots a lot though.

David Hull
David Hull Veteran Member • Posts: 6,341
Take it back

Make up your minds guys

Is this normal or not... Shall I return it and get another copy or is it ok ?
For me this is not a good performance...

Then ... it sounds like you have your answer. If you are not happy then take it back. I think if more people did that instead of whining, Canon might get the message quicker. I would take a couple of prints to show them so that you can explain the issue. If you pay $3500 (or whatever it cost in your country) you are entitled to have something you are happy. You could try another one perhaps.

This has been discussed ad nauseum here and elsewhere which was the reason for my comment above.

Also, you might try Define2 if you have it.

David Hull's gear list:David Hull's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS R
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads