Driving me CRAZY! Need Eos Utility 2.11 for mk3...

Started Jun 20, 2012 | Discussions
SDRebel Senior Member • Posts: 1,489
Thanks

Compose sounds quite useful. Thanks for the information.

KBStudio Regular Member • Posts: 373
Re: I contacted canon

My comments concern EOS Utility 2.10.2 for Windows. This is the only version Canon is making available for their older cameras using Windows. I realize that EOS Utility 2.11, the manual you are showing, has the same Compose functionality of EOS Utility 2.10.4(Mac only). But Canon will not release, to non 5DM3 owners, an update to EOS Utility 2.11.

Hope this explains the problem and frustation.

 KBStudio's gear list:KBStudio's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha a7R II Sony Alpha a7R III Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +8 more
John_Hoffman
John_Hoffman Senior Member • Posts: 1,281
Re: Driving me CRAZY! Need Eos Utility 2.11 for mk3...

Use at your own risk (I had no problems); this download contains EU2.11

http://www.ulozto.net/xDSGzn7/canon-eos-digital-solution-disk-ver-25-0-rar

KBStudio Regular Member • Posts: 373
Re: Driving me CRAZY! Need Eos Utility 2.11 for mk3...

Thanks John.

 KBStudio's gear list:KBStudio's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha a7R II Sony Alpha a7R III Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +8 more
GordonAtWork
GordonAtWork Regular Member • Posts: 480
Lesson learned, don't throw discs away.

Did you throw the manual out too ?

I keep all packaging, manuals, discs etc for any new camera. Makes it more saleable if I ever upgrade.
--
Moderator wannabe !

 GordonAtWork's gear list:GordonAtWork's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS D60 Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM +9 more
joema1
joema1 Contributing Member • Posts: 701
Re: Lesson learned, don't throw discs away.

GordonAtWork wrote:

Did you throw the manual out too ?

I keep all packaging, manuals, discs etc for any new camera. Makes it more saleable if I ever upgrade.

Most similar items come with software CDs, often out of date. Many times the 1st step is download the updated version from the support web site, not install the packaged CD. For various products, I've had numerous support techs incredulously ask me "why did you install the CD, not download the new version from our web site?" Typically by the time you ever resell the hardware, the software CD is archaic and has no value.

Given this conditioning and common practice of almost all companies providing downloadable utility software, it's easy to understand how some 5D or 1D owners could misplace or accidentally discard the EOS Utility CD. The "gotcha" is the 5D3 and 1DX will only work with the latest EOS Utility (currently 2.11). You can't install an older version and update it to the current version.

In this increasingly atypical situation, Canon doesn't provide the EOS Utility 2.11 as a download, even for new 5D3 or 1DX owners. I'm a CPS gold member and couldn't get it. If you have a time-critical need for tethered shooting -- tough luck.

In some cases Canon tech support will send you a CD -- if they have it. If they don't have it, they won't make one or break into a box to get one -- no matter what.

It is incredible to buy professional camera hardware & lenses in the high 4-figure range and the manufacturer's support group refusing to give you a downloadable utility or send you a replacement CD. It's like buying a new car, losing the owner's manual the first day, and the dealer refusing to get you a new one -- even if you're willing to pay for it. It's not good business.

 joema1's gear list:joema1's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha a7R II Sony Alpha a7R III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +12 more
Symtex Regular Member • Posts: 474
Pm me

joema1 wrote:

GordonAtWork wrote:

Did you throw the manual out too ?

I keep all packaging, manuals, discs etc for any new camera. Makes it more saleable if I ever upgrade.

Most similar items come with software CDs, often out of date. Many times the 1st step is download the updated version from the support web site, not install the packaged CD. For various products, I've had numerous support techs incredulously ask me "why did you install the CD, not download the new version from our web site?" Typically by the time you ever resell the hardware, the software CD is archaic and has no value.

Given this conditioning and common practice of almost all companies providing downloadable utility software, it's easy to understand how some 5D or 1D owners could misplace or accidentally discard the EOS Utility CD. The "gotcha" is the 5D3 and 1DX will only work with the latest EOS Utility (currently 2.11). You can't install an older version and update it to the current version.

In this increasingly atypical situation, Canon doesn't provide the EOS Utility 2.11 as a download, even for new 5D3 or 1DX owners. I'm a CPS gold member and couldn't get it. If you have a time-critical need for tethered shooting -- tough luck.

In some cases Canon tech support will send you a CD -- if they have it. If they don't have it, they won't make one or break into a box to get one -- no matter what.

It is incredible to buy professional camera hardware & lenses in the high 4-figure range and the manufacturer's support group refusing to give you a downloadable utility or send you a replacement CD. It's like buying a new car, losing the owner's manual the first day, and the dealer refusing to get you a new one -- even if you're willing to pay for it. It's not good business.

If you need it pm me.i will give you some instruction
--
Canon 5D Mark III, Canon EF 24-105L, EF 100-400L

Scales USA Veteran Member • Posts: 3,121
Re: Thanks

SDRebel wrote:

Interesting. I constantly learn using this forum. If there was mention of the keys previously, I missed it. So, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

The fact that people make registry keys available doesn't, of course, explain why Canon engages in hiding the ball. Clearly, if the keys are readily available, there is no economic justification. Also, the availability of the keys makes it even more outrageous for Canon to charge $30 for a disc.

There are likely patent licenses involved which prohibit free distribution of the software. That is the case and has been for many years with other brands of hardware I've used, including printers and scanners. Nero software uses a licensed codec for mp4, so you cannot just download and install it free.

 Scales USA's gear list:Scales USA's gear list
Fujifilm MX-700 Canon G1 X II Canon EOS R
Severian The Lame Contributing Member • Posts: 550
Re: Thanks

Scales USA wrote:

There are likely patent licenses involved which prohibit free distribution of the software. That is the case and has been for many years with other brands of hardware I've used, including printers and scanners. Nero software uses a licensed codec for mp4, so you cannot just download and install it free.

I don't know what's going on with Canon in this case, but I doubt it's some licensing restriction. EOS Utility 2.11.x will we available for download in August. It's required for the 7D after the 2.0.0 firmware update.

Not all of Canon's "freeware" requires the installation CD. ImageBrowser EX required that a compatible camera be connected via USB to install. (Probably because it was new software that many camera owners never got on their original CDs. I'd prefer this method for all installs in lieu of the CD.)

 Severian The Lame's gear list:Severian The Lame's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads