Weird OM-D Behavior...

Started Jun 19, 2012 | Discussions
gcchatel01 Junior Member • Posts: 25
Weird OM-D Behavior...

This may have been mentioned but I couldn't find this specific issue in the search.

I've had my OM-D for a couple of weeks and it has worked perfectly. I got the 45mm F1.8 this week and mounted it. Ever since then, it will randomly lock up (every 5-10 minutes of use) and will do so with all lenses.

It's not a lock up like the other members mention on the forum where the only fix is removing the battery. It just freezes usually after writing to the card and after being frozen for 5 seconds, it will start working again. I don't need to do anything to get it working again, it does it all on its own. However the camera does reboot itself because none of the settings that have been changed since being turned on are saved. It resets itself to the way it was the last time it was turned on.

I realize this may be a bad card since it locks up during writing but I did want to ask and see if anyone else has encountered this problem.

Thanks for the help.

Gael

Robbster
Robbster Regular Member • Posts: 304
Re: Weird OM-D Behavior...

Which firmware on camera and lens? If not most recent, does upgrading help?
--
Create the future or live someone else's. Choose wisely!

Robbster's gear list:Robbster's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic LX10 Olympus PEN E-PL1 +12 more
OP gcchatel01 Junior Member • Posts: 25

Thanks for the reply. Lenses and camera have latest firmware.

bgalb
bgalb Senior Member • Posts: 2,168

With the symptoms you described, the first thing you should do is try another SD card. In fact, I can't understand why you didn't do this even before posting on this forum. Maybe you have only one card?

bgalb's gear list:bgalb's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +4 more
nxp3 Regular Member • Posts: 365

I've experience some kind of lockup and I beleive a reboot too, but I also think it is a bad card as others say they don't have that problem. I'm using a microSD with sd adapter at the moment before I purchase a proper sd card. It happens when I take pictures and quickly press play and switch over to lvf for viewing. I do this very quickly and it causes the camera to pause and reboot. Sometimes you can even hear audible beeps...very low, can barely hear it. Then it just return to shooting mode....I haven't looked at the settings to notice if it didn't save or not since last reboot.
--
-bokehmokehshmokeh-

OP gcchatel01 Junior Member • Posts: 25

thanks for the answer. Yep, only one card, another on order with amazon, should be here in a couple days.

Moonlight Knight Regular Member • Posts: 150

nxp3 wrote:

I've experience some kind of lockup and I beleive a reboot too, but I also think it is a bad card as others say they don't have that problem. I'm using a microSD with sd adapter at the moment before I purchase a proper sd card.

Even class 10 MicroSD is really slow for OM-D, see my test here:
http://moonlightknighthk.wordpress.com/2012/05/04/om-d-e-m5-sd-benchmark-test/

Don't use MicroSD for OM-D.

Triggr Happy Regular Member • Posts: 321
Congratulations!

I hereby award you with "EM5 Dumbest User" award. Using microSD card with adapter???

Let me guess, you sold you wife and children to buy the camera and your dog died before you could sell it to buy memory card? WTF!

nxp3 wrote:

I've experience some kind of lockup and I beleive a reboot too, but I also think it is a bad card as others say they don't have that problem. I'm using a microSD with sd adapter at the moment before I purchase a proper sd card. It happens when I take pictures and quickly press play and switch over to lvf for viewing. I do this very quickly and it causes the camera to pause and reboot. Sometimes you can even hear audible beeps...very low, can barely hear it. Then it just return to shooting mode....I haven't looked at the settings to notice if it didn't save or not since last reboot.
--
-bokehmokehshmokeh-

boggis the cat Veteran Member • Posts: 6,329
Maybe read his post before attacking him

Triggr Happy wrote:

I hereby award you with "EM5 Dumbest User" award. Using microSD card with adapter???

Temporarily, as a make-do.

I've experience some kind of lockup and I beleive a reboot too, but I also think it is a bad card as others say they don't have that problem. I'm using a microSD with sd adapter at the moment before I purchase a proper sd card.

Note the "before I purchase a proper SD card".

Not everyone has ideal cards to hand, or will spend even more money to get an ideal card. I used a standard Class 10 SDHC card with my E-M5 while I was playing with it then bought a higher spec card later. I have followed the same process with cameras using CF cards.

If you are in a position to buy an ideal memory card at the same time as a new camera then that's fine, but not everyone is -- in such cases we make do until we buy a better card.

boggis the cat's gear list:boggis the cat's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +7 more
Domagoj Batinic Contributing Member • Posts: 534

it's interesting how people unload a ton of money for a camera and then go cheap for the most crucial part of the gear - memory card. the one part of the gear that should be most reliable. you really don't want to have memory card die on you with 300+ pix taken, especially while traveling. also it's crucial for speed of the mechanics of taking photos, what's the point of having a camera that can shoot 9fps when already shooting one shot and immediately reviewing it blocks the camera, all because of low quality memory card

-- hide signature --

my gear:
E-M5+45mm/1.8
E-520+12-60+14-42+70-300+Sigma 105 + FL-50R+EC20
and good amount of legacy lenses (list in profile)

Domagoj Batinic's gear list:Domagoj Batinic's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus C-2000 Zoom Olympus D-620L Olympus SP-560 UZ Olympus SP-550 UZ +11 more
azazel1024 Senior Member • Posts: 1,139

A little bit of the point is, unless you pick the camera up on the spur from some local shop and they are ALL out of cards, or you just must save a few dollars and order the card(s) online, then there isn't much of a reason not to have "the proper card" when you unbox the camera.

If buying it online, again, unless there is some extreme forgetfulness or something, no reason you aren't/shouldn't be getting a card(s) at the same time.

I got a pair of Lexar 8GB UHS-I cards (60/30 R/W rated IIRC) for $38 as a 2 pack. That comes out to less than 4% of the cost of the camera. A single decent 8GB class 10 SDHC card right now runs about $8-12 or 1% of the camera cost.

So, really there isn't a whole lot of an excuse not to have "a proper" card handy. Oh, sure if you are ONLY willing to buy a max speed UHS-I 64GB (or one of the super brand new 128GB cards) or waiting for a deal on such a card, maybe. At the same time, as cheap as even fast cards are, and as much as even just an 8GB card can hold, no reason not to at least get some kind of 4 or 8GB class 10+ card with the camera.

Enough berating aside. Get a "proper" card and use it in the camera and see if the same thing is happeneing. As for the lockup time, based on some of the class 10 microSD cards I have used, some of those never even come close to actual class 10 write specs (minimum 10MB/sec write speed). Most class 10 microSD cards actually write at around 5-6MB/sec sustained rate and something like a camera write might not qualify as that. It might actually take 3-5 seconds to write a RAW file from the buffer to the card and the painfully slow write might be what is causing the lockup, the camera processor might litterally be baffled about why it is taking so long (I say that only partly in jest) and refuse to work.

Anyway, as mentioned a proper card is incredibly cheap compared to just about anything else camera related (other than maybe cheap UV filters or lens hoods). Get a proper card and see if the behavior continues. If it does, then the best bet is try reseting to factory default and see if it continues and if it does give Olympus a call.
--

Many things dealing with Olympus and their OM and Pen cameras, plus my general photography and musings http://omexperience.wordpress.com/

azazel1024's gear list:azazel1024's gear list
Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +10 more
Bob Meyer Veteran Member • Posts: 5,375
Re: Maybe read his post before attacking him

+1

And the OP even recognizes it might be the card:

gcchatel01 wrote:

I realize this may be a bad card since it locks up during writing but I did want to ask and see if anyone else has encountered this problem.

He's just looking for information, of which Trigger Happy has none to offer.
--

Bokeh is the aesthetic quality of the blur in out-of-focus areas of an image, or the way the lens renders out-of-focus points of light. Bokeh is not the same as depth of field (DOF).

Bob Meyer's gear list:Bob Meyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +6 more
newsposter Contributing Member • Posts: 730

Flakey card problems can sometimes be solved by formatting in-camera instead of on the PC/Mac. Basic advice that sometimes gets overlooked.

There are microSDHC class 10 cards rated at 20+ mbps. I've seen, but not used, a microSDHS card (Emtec I think) that was rated at 35mbps.

Not UHS-1 speeds but not too bad, expec when the cards cost less than U$15- each.

Judge not by size.........

newsposter's gear list:newsposter's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Did not "attack" OP or anyone

why don't you read carefully before counter-attacking?

I responded to someone who said they were using microSD card with adapter. OP did not say he was using card like that , did he?

and, don't you find it ridiculous and stupid to use such a card? Come on! You have $1600 to spend on camera and can't afford to buy $15 card?
make-do? what make-do??? makes no sense! PLAIN STUPID!

Bob Meyer wrote:
+1

And the OP even recognizes it might be the card:

gcchatel01 wrote:

He's just looking for information, of which Trigger Happy has none to offer.
--

Bokeh is the aesthetic quality of the blur in out-of-focus areas of an image, or the way the lens renders out-of-focus points of light. Bokeh is not the same as depth of field (DOF).

Re: Did not "attack" OP or anyone

Triggr Happy wrote:

I responded to someone who said they were using microSD card with adapter. OP did not say he was using card like that , did he?

and, don't you find it ridiculous and stupid to use such a card? Come on! You have $1600 to spend on camera and can't afford to buy $15 card?

A $15 card wouldn't be suitable for the E-M5.

make-do? what make-do??? makes no sense! PLAIN STUPID!

Why spend $15 on a poor card when you have a good enough solution until you can buy a decent card?

Seems a waste of money to me.

Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +7 more
Olymore
Olymore Senior Member • Posts: 1,731

In the UK you can get a 4gb Sandisk Extreme card for less than £10.
Why wouldn't that be suitable (along with dozens of other high quality cards)?
Even more so if we are talking about a temporary solution.
Not everyone shoots anything that moves at 9fps all day long.

Olymore's gear list:Olymore's gear list
Olympus E-M1

Olymore wrote:

True, but why buy a small card when you could run out of space? What about when you find that you do need to take more photos?

I have been buying 32 GiB cards for a while now, as that yields more photo storage than I am likely to need (even over several months of high activity) and/or decent video storage space.

If you may take a lot of photos and/or video in future then it comes down to whether you consider using an existing slow card a better idea than buying some interim card that is also inadequate.

I don't see any reason for the hostility toward people choosing to use whatever cards they want -- especially if they are quite aware of the compromises that are involved.

You just don't get the point:

you have $1600 to spend on camera and don't have $15 to spend on card and you are using microSD card with adapter to "make-do".

And yes, $13.95 can buy you an 8GB SDHC Memory Card Extreme Class 10 from Sandisk.

This card is not good enough for EM-5? It's not better than microSD with adapter ?
I am done with this debate. Enjoy your camera with make-do solutions

boggis the cat wrote:

Olymore wrote:

True, but why buy a small card when you could run out of space? What about when you find that you do need to take more photos?

I have been buying 32 GiB cards for a while now, as that yields more photo storage than I am likely to need (even over several months of high activity) and/or decent video storage space.

If you may take a lot of photos and/or video in future then it comes down to whether you consider using an existing slow card a better idea than buying some interim card that is also inadequate.

I don't see any reason for the hostility toward people choosing to use whatever cards they want -- especially if they are quite aware of the compromises that are involved.

oh, i missed this
this is just hilarious!

"good enough solution" is microSD with adapter ? and $15 spent on "poor" 8GB SDHC Memory Card Extreme Class 10 is waste of money? LOL!

boggis the cat wrote:

Why spend $15 on a poor card when you have a good enough solution until you can buy a decent card?

Seems a waste of money to me.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads