Speak English everyone can understand please.

Started Jun 18, 2012 | Discussions
Billx08 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,373
Speaking as a peon . . .

Rachotilko wrote:

. . .

Just to give my rudeness skills a chance: the only remaining mystery is what "mistery" stands for.

We calls'em urinals over here.

Wellington100 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,673
Re: Speak English everyone can understand please.

rattymouse wrote:

5 seconds in Google is all it takes to learn what an abbreviation means. Learn how to use it.

I was looking on the internet for some examples of incomprehensible plain English to disprove Fotonut's theory, then I came across this excerpt from James Joyce Ulysses, a book that is beyond my pay scale. Still I thought it would resonate with you, he takes his photos with words:

"After all there’s a lot in that vegetarian fine flavour of things from the earth garlic of course it stinks after Italian organgrinders crisp of onions mushrooms truffles. Pain to the animal too. Pluck and draw fowl. Wretched brutes there at the cattlemarket waiting for the poleaxe to split their skulls open. Moo. Poor trembling calves. Meh. Staggering bob. Bubble and squeak. Butchers’ buckets wobbly lights. Give us that brisket off the hook. Plup. Rawhead and bloody bones. Flayed glasseyed sheep hung from their haunches, sheepsnouts bloodypapered snivelling nosejam on sawdust. Top and lashers going out. Don’t maul them pieces, young one.

Hot fresh blood they prescribe for decline. Blood always needed. Insidious. Lick it up smokinghot, thick sugary. Famished ghosts.
Ah, I’m hungry."

-- hide signature --

S100 (MIA), S6500, S5, F300, F200, F70, F11 (Retired), F31 (deceased), Z5, V10, D40, EX1

Wellington100's gear list:Wellington100's gear list
Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-T1 +15 more
Wellington100 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,673
Re: WDALYIC?

Billx08 wrote:

Fotonut wrote:

Danielepaolo wrote:

What a sad thread.
--
Apologies if my lack of photographic knowledge is catching.

yes is'nt it..

What did you expect, the 2030 release of the last starwars film?

Be well,
Greets.
. . .
Snap snap - click click.

Grits, ditz.
SS-CC, OMFUG & LSMFT. CYA.

LBJ took the IRT
Down to 4th Street USA
When he got there
What did he see?
The youth of America on LSD

LBJ IRT
USA LSD

LSD LBJ
FBI CIA

FBI CIA
LSD LBJ

-- hide signature --

S100 (MIA), S6500, S5, F300, F200, F70, F11 (Retired), F31 (deceased), Z5, V10, D40, EX1

Wellington100's gear list:Wellington100's gear list
Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-T1 +15 more
adhemar Regular Member • Posts: 204
Thanks Bill, dotbalm and the others...

that thought it was funny to fill the thread with gibberish (inverted syllables, acronyms, god knows what). I initially I thought that devoting a whole thread to this topic was a bit much but you certainly make me change my mind.

Your message is painfully clear: WE can speak english any way WE want. We can twist the words and, look, WE understand each other. YOU don't. WE are smart. YOU are not. WE speak white. YOU don't belong...

I do understand that, as native speakers, you like to play with the language. But using this thread to spew out your crap is downright insulting to what is, probably, the majority of the forum readers.

TheEye
TheEye Veteran Member • Posts: 4,703
Please, write English everyone can understand.

Let me help you!

Fotonut wrote:

Please remember that this is a International Forum.

Please, remember, this is an international forum.

Please post as such.

Huh? You want us to post as an international forum?

Do not use abbreviations, or local Sms/text speak, cause there are a lot of folks that have no idea bleeding idea what you're talking about.

Maybe you need to bone up on the language in which you so liberally dabble?

Bif shots????

There's nothing wrong with a good BIF!

I.O.W, speak plain English.

This is not an ESL school.

Thank you.

Greets.

That's a rather boorish sign-off and not plain English.

Fotonut.
--
Snap snap - click click.

Are you a fan of Dada?

FujiLinks - http://fujilinks.110mb.com/index.html

edu T Senior Member • Posts: 1,174

Rachotilko wrote:

But it's nothing you cannot surmount easily, just give your cognitive skills a chance. So, if you realize that "BIF" usually appears associated with shots of feathery animals when airborne... bingo, mistery solved! (Similar reasoning for RDFB.)

Just to give my rudeness skills a chance: the only remaining mystery is what "mistery" stands for.

Why, "mistery", from mist + -ery, means a place/characteristic of mist, namely being hard to see through. Most dictionaries, however, are mistified to the point of being mystified.

edu T's gear list:edu T's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F550 EXR
dotbalm Veteran Member • Posts: 3,222
Mama mia!

adhemar wrote:

that thought it was funny to fill the thread with gibberish (inverted syllables, acronyms, god knows what). I initially I thought that devoting a whole thread to this topic was a bit much but you certainly make me change my mind.

Your message is painfully clear: WE can speak english any way WE want. We can twist the words and, look, WE understand each other. YOU don't. WE are smart. YOU are not. WE speak white. YOU don't belong...

I do understand that, as native speakers, you like to play with the language. But using this thread to spew out your crap is downright insulting to what is, probably, the majority of the forum readers.

Failure to discern a silly thread filled with silliness is expected from the vox ignorami.

n'est-ce pas?

(...Ay yay yay)

Kim Letkeman
Kim Letkeman Forum Pro • Posts: 33,428
Re: Que es el problemo?

Billx08 wrote:

dotbalm wrote:

PhotOptimist wrote:

Not at all!
I can communicate with some people speaking my language.
Do you think every one has to speak English?
And why?

That might not be correct...

You got that right, otdayalmbay. Our lovable OtofayUtnay is just trying to  regain  retain the title of Orumfay Oronmay. But what do you mean by "Que es el problemo?" Don't you realize that hardly anyone here speaks Ladino? Or anywhere else, for that matter.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/soundcheck/content/yasmin-levy-talks-ladino-music-her-judaeo-spanish-heritage-and-singing-her-late-father

And here I took that for an Arnie reference ...

Oh well, no problemo. Hasta Lavista, baby ...

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Nikon D7200 +17 more
Kim Letkeman
Re: Oink!

Billx08 wrote:

dotbalm wrote:
. . .

You got that right, otdayalmbay. Our lovable OtofayUtnay is just trying to  regain  retain the title of Orumfay Oronmay. But what do you mean by "Que es el problemo?" Don't you realize that hardly anyone here speaks Ladino? Or anywhere else, for that matter.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/soundcheck/content/yasmin-levy-talks-ladino-music-her-judaeo-spanish-heritage-and-singing-her-late-father

I had not heard of adinolay usicmay. Her airhay is ayway over arpenedshay.

I guess. If Kim did the head shots that wouldn't have been a problem. But most people wouldn't ever notice that problem because she sure ain't no pig ladino.

Hmmm ... oodgay atchcay otdayalmbay ... Iay issedmay atthay .... ehay appearsay ootay avehay usedyay aay airhay etnay anday eallyray ewedscray itay upay. Eh?

Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Nikon D7200 +17 more
Kim Letkeman
Re: International means...

Midwest wrote:

rattymouse wrote:

None of this is meant to suggest that the English language is in any way superior or better than any other language. It is just the reality of the situation here.

I thought that once upon a time I read someplace that it is possible to say precisely what you mean in English in fewer and shorter words than in most any other language.

!

Kim Letkeman
better, never ...

rattymouse wrote:

Midwest wrote:

rattymouse wrote:

None of this is meant to suggest that the English language is in any way superior or better than any other language. It is just the reality of the situation here.

I thought that once upon a time I read someplace that it is possible to say precisely what you mean in English in fewer and shorter words than in most any other language.

That may be true, but that would still not make English a better language. Just a more efficient one.

I would hope that no one would try to use a single judging word like "better" to describe any language over any other. That would be foolhardy, since each language grew to serve its community in whatever way they needed at the time. There can be no better or worse in absolute terms.

Now, if you are talking about a specific context, then "better for that purpose or context" can come into play.

So, for DPReview, English is "better" if your desire is to reach the largest number of people world wide. But if your desire is to speak to a specific community, then you could speak in their native language. It would be "better" for that specific purpose.

Kim Letkeman

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee wrote:

rattymouse wrote:

5 seconds in Google is all it takes to learn what an abbreviation means. Learn how to use it.

Of course....

Kim uses GEM in the post below. I've no idea what he means. GEM has more than 250 uses as an Acronym..

But I gave the hint that he should look up irony. Because in fact I did not use it as an acronym at all, I used a common ironic phrase that meant the opposite of what it said.

"That was a gem of a post" is more or less equivalent to saying "that post was a diamond in the rough" ... something unusually good. But I used it ironically, and I will leave it to you to figure out what that meant.

Actually, I had hoped that my reference was not so obscure that people missed it. I thought it rather obvious.

Acronyms can be like directions to a place, completely understandable only to the person who uses them, or in the case of directions, gives them.

I had a colleague who was trained in the US and he spoke acronymese. I had to explain to him that we didn't use them much in our part of the world so that he would have to speak conventionally for him to be understood.

When I joined my current employer, I was stunned by the rampant use of acronyms. This happens a lot in computer science because there are so many languages, techniques, idioms, etc that we can't constantly write them out or we would never get anything done.

Kim Letkeman
Re: Thanks Bill, dotbalm and the others...

adhemar wrote:

WE speak white. YOU don't belong...

Yowsa ... that's a bit over the top. Not one person was thinking that way, I guarantee you.

They were typing pig-latin ... a made up language that children like to play with. It is simple and obvious and should not be construed as in some way elitist and condescending. It is entirely the opposite when adults use it

PAUL TILL
PAUL TILL Veteran Member • Posts: 9,286

Fotonut wrote:

Please remember that this is a International Forum. Please post as such.

Do not use abbreviations, or local Sms/text speak, cause there are a lot of folks that have no idea bleeding idea what you're talking about.

Bif shots????

I thought everyone into photography knew what a BIF was, until I met you.

Paul.
--

PAUL TILL
PAUL TILL Veteran Member • Posts: 9,286

Hows that there X-S1 review coming along, have you lost interest in it already? I keep checking your blog but nothing happening.

Paul.
--

Billx08 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,373
Re: WDALYIC?

Wellington100 wrote:
. . .

Snap snap - click click.

Grits, ditz.
SS-CC, OMFUG & LSMFT. CYA.

LBJ took the IRT
Down to 4th Street USA
When he got there
What did he see?
The youth of America on LSD

LBJ IRT
USA LSD

LSD LBJ
FBI CIA

FBI CIA
LSD LBJ

Wow, sure fooled me. This looked more like something that might have been performed by David Peel. He gotsa lotsa hair too!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Peel_%28musician%29

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpaTIw4astU
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2GXClcOEwY
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtajCaRqDpA
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1MR68VNoGw
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVr8GZftAfY
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-BiZGL9288
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3X0nueBjKU
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRRVgKNHxF4

Lloydy
Lloydy Forum Pro • Posts: 19,527
Foto ...

... Good points.

Those who have never had English as a second language, nor have ever lived among folk who do not have English as their primary language may well wish to ridicule what you stated. And they have. Poor fools they and they look very stupid for it.

However, those of us who do live amongst those who do not speak English, as their primary language, do full well understand your point.

Be that Microsoft English, or the Queen's own. And there is a (huge) difference. Microsoft English is (dare I say it) not English. It is a corruption, a disease, which tries to conform the world to an English which is neither historic, nor accurate.

Also, the great majority us who are not brought up in an SMS oriented culture, may well desire that English be presented as it should be. Not as an abbreviated 'junk' language. Abbreviations may well be 'cute' but are not a reality of true language.

So, good for you to point it out. Many do not bother to participate here as it is 'seemingly' ruled by the intellectual giants of 'modern' language. Truth is, it is ruled by the lazy and those ignorant of broader cultural influences.

Those who are too lazy to communicate in a reasonable manner with those who may well struggle with anything, other than a text book English, taught in many institutions globally. And, mostly, not taught well at all.

Constantly, I meet people here who profess to speak English well. In reality, this often boils down to a conversation as follows :

Me : How are you ?

They : I am fine thank you, and you ?

Me : (And, when I answer very tongue in cheek) - I am fine thank you, and you ?

Then any semblance of anything that may be remotely called 'conversation' dissipates. Dialogue beyond the 'rote' cannot be comprehended.

So, kudos to you to raise the point. Bad on those who ridicule a simple request to try and improve dialogue in the Fuji 'kindergarten'.

Same old misfits.

-- hide signature --
dotbalm Veteran Member • Posts: 3,222
Re: Foto ...

Lloydy wrote:

... Good points.

Those who have never had English as a second language, nor have ever lived among folk who do not have English as their primary language may well wish to ridicule what you stated. And they have. Poor fools they and they look very stupid for it.

However, those of us who do live amongst those who do not speak English, as their primary language, do full well understand your point.

Be that Microsoft English, or the Queen's own. And there is a (huge) difference. Microsoft English is (dare I say it) not English. It is a corruption, a disease, which tries to conform the world to an English which is neither historic, nor accurate.

Also, the great majority us who are not brought up in an SMS oriented culture, may well desire that English be presented as it should be. Not as an abbreviated 'junk' language. Abbreviations may well be 'cute' but are not a reality of true language.

So, good for you to point it out. Many do not bother to participate here as it is 'seemingly' ruled by the intellectual giants of 'modern' language. Truth is, it is ruled by the lazy and those ignorant of broader cultural influences.

Those who are too lazy to communicate in a reasonable manner with those who may well struggle with anything, other than a text book English, taught in many institutions globally. And, mostly, not taught well at all.

Constantly, I meet people here who profess to speak English well. In reality, this often boils down to a conversation as follows :

Me : How are you ?

They : I am fine thank you, and you ?

Me : (And, when I answer very tongue in cheek) - I am fine thank you, and you ?

Same old passive aggressive b.s.

Then any semblance of anything that may be remotely called 'conversation' dissipates. Dialogue beyond the 'rote' cannot be comprehended.

Is it any wonder.

So, kudos to you to raise the point. Bad on those who ridicule a simple request to try and improve dialogue in the Fuji 'kindergarten'.

Same old misfits.

Same old hypocrite.

-- hide signature --

Regards, Dave

Kim Letkeman

PAUL TILL wrote:

Hows that there X-S1 review coming along, have you lost interest in it already? I keep checking your blog but nothing happening.

I shot hundreds of images on Friday and have been too busy to finish the processing. I shot against the D7000 and 70-300VR, so a real test this time. The X-S1 is doing all right ...

Hopefully in the next couple of days ...

Kim Letkeman
same old Dave ...

A long and rambling statement of the obvious just to get that little "same old misfits" dig in at the end.

Please get some new material ...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads