EF 40mm f/2.8 STM - many samples (brick wall at f/2.8 / 4 / 5.6 /8)

Started Jun 18, 2012 | Discussions
Lysias Senior Member • Posts: 1,680
EF 40mm f/2.8 STM - many samples (brick wall at f/2.8 / 4 / 5.6 /8)

I posted this earlier, but these samples were hidden in a thread that will probably be considered as yet another boring post of someone telling the world about the acquisition of a new toy. I really try to be helpful. This morning someone asked for shots of brick walls at different appertures, well I am happy to oblige. I must say I am quite pleased with the results I am getting fom this tiny lens...

Here's my series of test shots, all hand held and straight from the camera, resized to 1200 x 800px in DPP. I'm not a pixel peeper and this is absolutely the first time I test a lens by shooting a brick wall...

Manually focused at minimum distance f/5.6

Manually focused at minimum distance f/5.6, Kenko 25mm extension tube (camera slightly tilted to the left):

Orchid f/2.8

Self portrait f/2.8

Street f/2.8

Street f/4

Wall f/2.8

Wall f/4

Wall f/5.6

Wall f/8.0

Lysias's gear list:Lysias's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +4 more
mirkoc Regular Member • Posts: 219
Re: EF 40mm f/2.8 STM - many samples (brick wall at f/2.8 / 4 / 5.6 /8)

Thanks for samples. From most of the early samples it looks the lens won't win any resolution contest, at least not at the minimum focusing distance.

What about flare resistance and CA? Can you torture it a bit with shooting into the sun or on include some highlight edges?

Lemming51
Lemming51 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,271
with what size camera? 'full frame' or 'crop'

Some light fall-off at the corners at f/2.8 (only noticable with the wall shot). Completely gone by f/4. Is this on a 1Ds/5D or 7D/x0D/xx0D/xx00D?

-- hide signature --

Unapologetic Canon Apologist

Lemming51's gear list:Lemming51's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +5 more
OP Lysias Senior Member • Posts: 1,680
Re: with what size camera? 'full frame' or 'crop'

All images are from a 5DII. I like the feel of the 5DII and this diminutive lens.

Lysias's gear list:Lysias's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +4 more
rpiotr01 Regular Member • Posts: 256

Thanks for sharing! Nothing to complain about lens performance, bokeh looks surprisingly unobjectionable. Looks like it could be a winner for a lot of people.

mmullen Veteran Member • Posts: 4,291

Lysias wrote:

This morning someone asked for shots of brick walls at different appertures, well I am happy to oblige. I must say I am quite pleased with the results I am getting fom this tiny lens...

Damn! That's one of the nicest brick walls I've ever seen!

-- hide signature --

Mike Mullen

mmullen's gear list:mmullen's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM +6 more
comeon Senior Member • Posts: 1,925

yup its a beautiful brick wall ... and an awesome , soon to passe, blackberry

nelsonal Senior Member • Posts: 2,464

There were some flowers in bloom near me. I thought I'd test out the near distance a little. I really like it, it focuses reasonably quickly and is very quiet (especially at slower focus speeds). I noticed that focus changes were exceedingly smooth in the viewfinder, it looks like it'll be a great film lens.

For stills, I rather like it, though I was planning to buy it mostly because it's very close to a 50mm equivalent on APS-h. Sharp enough (8mp doesn't push it too hard) and I like the bokeh. It does stick out past the handle though.

Timbukto Veteran Member • Posts: 4,988

Fun and dreamy bokeh characteristics...somewhat catseye and directional wide-open (I suppose due to vignetting) but very smooth and dreamy. Yet also very smooth and buttery when heavily stopped down... still very round without highlighting or onions at f5.6!

Great bokeh, great vignetting, great wide-open performance, better MFD than the 50's + metal mount + pancake for $200 or less! I like how it vignettes much less than other lens with the front element the size of a nickel! Also a big big fan of optical designs with the least amount of glass possible.

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads