Eye Cup for Pentax K-5 Solved

Started Jun 18, 2012 | Discussions
iPentax New Member • Posts: 5
Eye Cup for Pentax K-5 Solved

Hi,

I have completely solved the viewfinder Glare problem with my Pentax K-5, by fitting the Hoodman HoodEye. This Eye Cup can be used by spectacle wearers.

From Amazon.co.uk, I purchased the Model HEYEC18G, this is for the CANON 10D, 20D,30D, 40D, 50D. 60D and all Rebel Models. This was sold by Amazon & supplied by Keene Electronics.

It took just 10 minutes work with a square ended file that has a safe edge, to modify the HoodEYE to obtain a perfect fit on the Pentax K-5.

The HoodEYE is pushed down over the viewfinder mounting rails and is locked into place by a locking tab that snaps into a secure locking position.

Some 1/32inch of material has to be removed from each side of the 'wings' that fit into the viewfinder mounting rails and the locking tab 'rail' also needs a few thou removed. I used a Dial Reading Vernier to accurately measure the work.

It really is an easy job to fettle.

Best Regards,

Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 60D Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Larry Buck Contributing Member • Posts: 934
Re: Eye Cup for Pentax K-5 Solved

Is the "frame" that you had to file down a bit metal or plastic?

I have been looking for an eye cup for the K5 for 2 years now and this sounds like a way to get one.

thanks for the post.

Larry
--
Larry Buck
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/larrybuck

Larry Buck's gear list:Larry Buck's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 IIs Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +5 more
JeffAHayes
JeffAHayes Senior Member • Posts: 1,968

THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!!

I've been GOING CRAZY looking for a solution to this problem (and rather upset that NOBODY -- especially Hoodman) seemed to care about a solution for anyone but Canon or Nikon users -- and also WONDERING if one for Canon or Nikon COULD be adapted -- I haven't even finished reading your post, yet, but I assume that's what you've done.

THAT was going to be the next thread I started -- one asking IF there was anything out there or IF there was any way to ADAPT an existing eye cup. So after I post this reply, I have other things to do, so I'm going to leave your solution UP, and come back to it later, print it -- maybe FRAME IT?!?...
Jeff
--
May the Blessings Be.

JeffAHayes's gear list:JeffAHayes's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +8 more
GeeEmm Regular Member • Posts: 142

iPentax wrote:

Hi,

I have completely solved the viewfinder Glare problem with my Pentax K-5, by fitting the Hoodman HoodEye.

Good to hear! I assume from that that you have tested it in the field? ... and with glasses on?

It is a pity that to get it Downunder will cost 3x the purchase price ... I am not sure that I am willing to pay $80 just yet. Particularly given the reviews on Amazon ...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads