Questions About Selling *ist D

Started Jun 16, 2012 | Discussions
Joseph Tainter Veteran Member • Posts: 9,703
Questions About Selling *ist D

I am about to sell my long-unused *ist D to a colleague for whom it will be all the camera that she needs. Before passing it over to her, I could use help with a couple of questions.

1. It comes, of course, with the first version of Pentax's processing software. Is there a place where she can download the current version? Will Pentax allow her to? I don't find such a download on Pentax's web site.

2. I always shot PEFs with this camera. She will probably shoot JPEGs. I recall users complaining that JPEGs were soft and lack brilliance. What settings should I use for sharpening and brilliance so that she is pleased with the images?

Thanks for your help.

Joe

P.S. I'll be glad to see this fine camera back in use.

Pentax *ist D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
steephill Veteran Member • Posts: 9,861
Re: Questions About Selling *ist D

All the software is available from here http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/download_digital.html

The trick to accessing the latest version if you don't have the earlier version already installed is to download to a drive such as a USB stick named (I think) SW-110. Don't forget the Remote Assistant software too.

Jpegs on the *istD aren't great by current standards and that is being very polite about it. They have that plastic look which Canon was infamous for. I shot jpeg for the first couple of years with my *istD purely because of the cost and have always regretted doing so. My first CF card was a 1Gb Microdrive which cost several hundred dollars so I had a good reason at the time. I used a CD writer to write out the card contents each day on longer trips. Times have changed of course and large fast cards are now very cheap.

I would recommend trying Lightroom instead of the Pentax converters as it makes the workflow transparent to file format.

-- hide signature --
Underdog 3000 Regular Member • Posts: 166

I also have this camera.

Do you want to retain her as a friend?

Underdog 3000's gear list:Underdog 3000's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Pentax K-5 Sony a6000 Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +5 more
jeanphilippe Goube Senior Member • Posts: 1,819

The issue with jpegs is that there are a lot of artifacts at the pixel level generated by the jpeg internal converter of the camera; use raw; anyway what is the interest of upgrading the processing Pentax/slikypix software if you don't use raw ?
Regards
--
jpgoube

jeanphilippe Goube's gear list:jeanphilippe Goube's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8E FL ED VR Pentax Q Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads